TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Hard to get an accurate mpg figure with the stock speedometer, the odo seems overly optimistic compared to the gps and who knows if that is accurate.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I calculate mine with gps, never got more than 83mpg, and i try to hypermile everything i drive.

Sent from the first city on the Mississippi.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Wow something's very wrong with my bike then. I ran 30 miles yesterday, all highway, 50-55 mph the whole way, then gassed up. 47 mpg. I've done two trips of 82 miles each with a mix of 45 mph pavement and 25 mph dirt, got 62-63 mpg. This is with stock gearing.

·
Registered
814 Posts
47 teeth on the rear and 30 mph or less will push you into triple digits with a hyper mindset. I've gotten 19 mpg out of a TJ with an automatic. 26 mpg out of a Ram with a 360 and automatic highway. It has to do with smooth and no braking.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ride a good mix of in town, gravel roads and even short distances at 55mph and I seem to be getting about 70 mpg. This is with stock gearing ratio.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
2013 with stock gearing. 3300 miles total and I have averaged between 70 and 80 mpg. If you dial up your tire pressure to around 22 psi front and back you should get 80 pretty easy. I wind mine up pretty good too;)

Tom

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow something's very wrong with my bike then. I ran 30 miles yesterday, all highway, 50-55 mph the whole way, then gassed up. 47 mpg. I've done two trips of 82 miles each with a mix of 45 mph pavement and 25 mph dirt, got 62-63 mpg. This is with stock gearing.
Mine does that too. I got 45 mpg today riding all pavement to a nearby (36 miles) town. But it has the stock carb which obviously isn't running perfectly. I haven't checked the valve lash, either. And I was running 18 psi front and 12 rear.
I'm hoping for better with a valve adjustment, new plug, more air in the tires and the new VM26 clone carb that I bought.

·
Registered
762 Posts
No, I think you're in line.

I get about 75 in town, cruise about 30 to 45, with a lot of hard acceleration at lights.

The two times I've spent some time on the highway, at about 50-55...it's dropped down to 40. Opening that throttle really sucks the gas down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
my 88' is stock and if I'm being honest with myself, needs a thorough going over. My average, when mostly riding city is just shy of 50mpg, when I hit the freeway for any length of time that tops out at around 62mpg. I wonder what a good clean out and tune up would do to the MPG.

·
Super Moderator
18,080 Posts
my 88' is stock and if I'm being honest with myself, needs a thorough going over. My average, when mostly riding city is just shy of 50mpg, when I hit the freeway for any length of time that tops out at around 62mpg. I wonder what a good clean out and tune up would do to the MPG.
I would think you should get at least 70 bare minimum without modifications.

Reactions: WECSOG

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yes, I agree. I'd a big guy and still manage 73-5. And that is running it pretty briskly. What Tommy Just said is spot on, IMHO. I save the hyper mile ( ing ) for my Prius. Saving putting on a lot of miles on the car is a nice benefit of having the fun of riding the TW. Rubber side down, Dave

1 - 20 of 34 Posts