TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some scouting for this weekend's group ride and found this nice section of Pacific Crest Trail where motorcycles are welcome. Quite a unique find which makes for a very scenic singletrack. I rode just a bit Thursday evening, enough to plan a return with the group on our way to the high peaks in the far ground. Think it has potential? ;)

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next day Dan, Don and I ran another mile or two of the Pacific Crust Trail until we had to jump off to pick up another Jeep road that allegedly would lead us back to camp to meet up with Dale and Adam who where riding their Non-TWs to the gathering. We wanted to get back before dark to ridicule their bikes. The "Share the Trail" moto-friendly signs and singletrack continued on for an unknown distance but trail conditions were getting sketchy. Think I was hearing more cries for Mommy than giggles towards the end...maybe it was just me.

·
Registered
862 Posts
That single track did start getting pretty intense with loose rock/sand and impressive steep falls on the side of the eroded track.....I was relieved when we got on the jeep trail.....but.....that ended up being the toughest trail of the weekend!
Good times :)

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Caught a bit more video when things were tame enough to reach up and activate the camera. Missed a few uphill switchbacks where you just have to accelerate and commit to a continuous uninterrupted reversal of direction. There were also a few rocky ledge sections where I somehow got a little too busy riding with both hands on the bars to reach up and turn on camera. :p

·
Registered
658 Posts
Watching Fred's video of the not typical single track reminded me of watching Donzo recover from riding off the trail. Sorry Donzo I'll try and take it easy on you. Ha.

I'm like following Donzo who I believe is in first gear following Fred down his idea of a trail. Nothing like he shows the rest of you. It's a trick I tell ya, it's a trick! I regress! So, I'm following Donzo and the trail is littered with rocks the size of basket balls. Did you know that the proper definition of a rock is over 10 inches? So when Fred says the trail is rocky he is referring to basket ball size rocks. He knows geology kid you not. Donzo is kicked off the trail and ends up motionless with both tires off the trail, but upright. Donzo is in a predicament. If he spins his rear tire he's going over. Bye Bye Donzo, can I have your truuuuuuuck? I stop, I suppose I should have just rode by giving him confidence by not recognizing that he was about to die! I may have ridden by, but there wasn't room because Donzo was in my way. So I was forced to watch his demise. Donzo just sits there, motionless. I'm sitting there planning his eulogy. Just seeing him like that got my heart a beating. For the longest time he just doesn't move? What seemed like a forever minute he gives it a little throttle and the bike raises back on the trail and off he goes lickity split. The guy kept his cool!! Sorry Donzo. Dirts a Flyen SanDue

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That Donzo usually has very good situational awareness. Saturday while cruising I got distracted pointing down at some steaming bear poop passing between us. Don however was vigorously pointing ahead. Apparently he saw the source a bit ahead of us, a fleeing good sized coffee-with-cream colored black bear. A few seconds later the bear dived off the road and really made the bushes shake for a ways as he raced away. Good times, no bears were harmed in the making of these videos.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Being off the trail on the wrong side....cliff side was a pucker moment. I heard Dan pull up but was focusing on how to survive this "situation" it was super loose medium sized and small rocks that provided very little traction - but the meaty rear tire of the Dub with careful feathering of power done did do it! Had my adrenaline fix filled right there.

We literally scared the s*** out of that bear, poor thing. He was running at a full gallop ears down and kicking up plums of dust on the trail until he saw we were closing in on him and he dove into the bushes.
You never know what you are gonna see out there!

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Between this thread and Dear Sue thread, you guys have me cracking up. OK, it's only funny now because Donzo survived the cliffhanger. No doubt there were some pucker moments. Gotta be great scenery and rider friendship because everyone, including Dan, keeps coming back to the Fred rides. Or is it because everyone is getting old and can't remember how dangerous the last ride was. Forgot what I was thinking, oh yeah, gotta because of the camaraderie.

Quadruple thumbs up on this ride. And the video is great Fred. Wish you had your camera on more during some of the "trail turbulence"...and "running bear"! Outstanding ride.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Watching Fred's video of the not typical single track reminded me of watching Donzo recover from riding off the trail. Sorry Donzo I'll try and take it easy on you. Ha.

I'm like following Donzo who I believe is in first gear following Fred down his idea of a trail. Nothing like he shows the rest of you. It's a trick I tell ya, it's a trick! I regress! So, I'm following Donzo and the trail is littered with rocks the size of basket balls. Did you know that the proper definition of a rock is over 10 inches? So when Fred says the trail is rocky he is referring to basket ball size rocks. He knows geology kid you not. Donzo is kicked off the trail and ends up motionless with both tires off the trail, but upright. Donzo is in a predicament. If he spins his rear tire he's going over. Bye Bye Donzo, can I have your truuuuuuuck? I stop, I suppose I should have just rode by giving him confidence by not recognizing that he was about to die! I may have ridden by, but there wasn't room because Donzo was in my way. So I was forced to watch his demise. Donzo just sits there, motionless. I'm sitting there planning his eulogy. Just seeing him like that got my heart a beating. For the longest time he just doesn't move? What seemed like a forever minute he gives it a little throttle and the bike raises back on the trail and off he goes lickity split. The guy kept his cool!! Sorry Donzo. Dirts a Flyen SanDue

I should add to the above discussion of my "situation" that I think it was quite interesting of Dan to ask if he can have my truck if things don't go well for me. Then he asked what my wife looks like.... Sheesh! Ya just don't know someone till the bear s*** hits the fan! Just kidding of course...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Back the truck up! What would I do with two "trucks"? Oh drive me, no drive me, drive me crazy! I'll keep my old truck. Haha I'm so glad you and the bike didn't go over the edge. The rest of us would have had a time of it getting your bike out of there! Dirts a Flyen SanDue:rolleyes::D

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
'Twas fun riding with a group of 5 again. I highly recommend folks give it a try. We were 3 TW200s and a WR250 plus a KLX250 on these trail rides and camped in a group nearby on National Forest land. Nice fire, good food, refreshing beverages and stimulating conversation made this a welcome weekend's relaxation. Or was it stimulating beverages and refreshing conversation? I forget.

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
'Twas fun riding with a group of 5 again. I highly recommend folks give it a try. We were 3 TW200s and a WR250 plus a KLX250 on these trail rides and camped in a group nearby on National Forest land. Nice fire, good food, refreshing beverages and stimulating conversation made this a welcome weekend's relaxation. Or was it stimulating beverages and refreshing conversation? I forget.
You don't even have to ride single track trails for a technical rough ride. The 2-track is plenty rough for sure. Lots of people shun 2-track riding but I think it can be every bit as difficult, er I mean fun! :p

So pretty.

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is the lake we descended to after riding a portion of the Pacific Crest Trail. Pristine lake has yielded many a fine trout in the past. It is getting discovered but used to jeep in & camp here at the far end all by myself. Idyllic to go silent trolling with electric kayak at dawn or at dusk into the night on mirror calm water.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts