TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Woohoo! :D

Congratulations and welcome to the forum! You are now qualified to drive at night, on the freeway and carry a passenger on all California roads.

You are also cordially invited to join the rest of us NorCal TW Forum nutjobs for our occasional rides, wrench & rides and other assorted activities.

Brian

p.s. I couldn't tell, but I assume that you used your blinkers when you executed those turns ;).

p.p.s As a former MSF instructor, I would have had to ding you for not wearing gloves :eek:.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wow, the California test is so different than the New York one!

I remember mine taking a long time, maybe because it was in a group setting MSF class. The figure 8s in a tiny box were the hardest. There were also sections to mimic doing a sharp right hand turn from a stop and doing quick stops on a hand signal to test reaction time.

Congratulations!!!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
That was interesting. In Rhode Island, its different. You have to take the MSF course at the local Community College. If you pass the class, they give you a learners permit. If you do not die within the next 30 days, you can go down to the Registry and get a new license. No test involved.
PS. I was surprised about the gloves, too. That would be 'no go' at the MSF course.
I'm also kind of surprised that the Registry employees let you record them. I don't really see that happening here, either.
Very interesting, though. Thanks for posting... and congratulations!

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
What?!! That's it? Easy test.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum!! :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
What?!! That's it? Easy test.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum!! :D
I've noticed california values thruput at the DMV more than the safety of the people being put on the road. While waiting for my former 49 state bike to be inspected at the DMV, I saw multiple people who didn't speak a lick of english struggle with things such as "turn on your hazards," yet the instructors nudged them in the right direction enough with hand motions that they passed anyway. It appears they'd rather pass people than have them back for a second test.

And people wonder why there are so many accidents every single day on every single highway in the bay area...

In contrast, I can count on one hand the number of kids I knew in high school back home who pass their driving test on the first try. Things as simple as "you turned your head but not far enough when you switched lanes" were grounds for automatic failure. They looked for reasons to fail you instead of reasons to pass you, rightfully so.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
In BC the skills test is a bit more involved. An emergency braking situation is involved - get up to 30 kmph and bring the bike to a stop as quick as possible without locking / skidding the rear wheel.
If you do your road test on the TW, you will get a restricted motorcycle licence allowing you only to ride motorcycles up to 200 cc.
I need to find a small framed larger cc bike for my daughter to do her road test on.
This may be an excuse to go buy a cb500x.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
congratulations on passing!! and welcome to the nuthouse. I got my licence 49 years ago ( how did that happen?) and at that time all I had to do was a few figure 8s and stop on the white line. they didn't care about gloves or even a dot approved helmet. I would probably fail if I had to do it now

·
Registered
928 Posts
Congratulations on passing your test! Like grewen, when I took my test a score + years ago, there were no fancy lanes to ride and the only safety equipment anyone was interested in was the helmet. But my DMV did use a lot of those huge orange cones! I remember having to do figure 8s, a circle in both directions, and the "hurry up and stop" maneuver. Automatic fail if feet left the foot pegs. The DMV sat in a triangle of land between the split of two highways, so much like yours, my road test involved leaving the parking lot, making a left and coming back into the parking lot. Good times! :)

I hope you have a blast riding! I also hope the traffic in your area is relatively light and you have a lot of nice, quiet places to ride. You have a sweet little beast there. ENJOY!

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
When I first started riding all you needed was a learner's permit (same permit for car and bike) which you needed to be 15 1/2 years old to get, pass the written test which was the same for car or bike, and Mom or Dad's signature. You needed an "adult" 18 or older to be in the car with you when you drove but on the bike the world was yours to do as you pleased.

A car was added to the mix when you turned 16.

The first riding test I took around 1970 or 1971 was to ride down the street, make a u-turn and come back. That was it.

California was a great place to be back in those days.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Congratulations!

I rode MC's in the late 60's and 70's, had my MC's endorsement from Kansas.. EASY like everyone else said. I sold the MC after we moved to Anaheim, Ca for safety reasons and wife and I started our family. So a couple of years ago I decided to see if I would still enjoy Motoring around on a MC so I bought a little 150 scooter for $850 and took the MSF course!

BWS 150, I know, I know.... Chink stuff... Knock on wood. I have 2K miles on it and absolutely no trouble!

Tao-Tao-150cc-BWS-Gas-Scooter--5.jpg

I actually learned quite a bit while taking the course although I have 1000's of miles of road bike riding! One example is that always thought just leaning turned the bike.

After learning that fact I realized why so many riders crash when negotiating a turn at speed and needing to decrease the radius because they misjudged the curve! Hahahaaaa!

So although I did not have to do the DMV ride qualifications I did have to do the written test which was pretty intensive... I did ACE it.... And actually was top of class in the MSF course. Hahahaha.

After I finished the course I started looking for a TW200.. A forum member/friend demanded that I get one.....
So here I am.... $2000 later and a nice 03 DUB!

Jim

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Congratulations!
My test in California was back when they asked you to negotiate a rather tight figure 8 rather than the much bigger 20"I.D. x 24" O.D. circle California has standardized at today's DMV test facilities. With the TW I could stay between the lines but could not imagine perfecting the figure 8 on a bigger bike. I think the DMV wanted riders to fail somewhat to teach humility but I was one smug whippersnapper. I had never even heard of a MSF course until joining this forum years later.
I think the most difficult part of my DMV test was getting there via the interstate in the Truckee River Canyon stuck in the slow lane being passed by an endless stream of interstate semi-truck traffic. I figured the mirrors should have little lettering on the bottom stating "Objects in Mirrors Are More Dangerous Than They Appear". I was terrified and stuck to trails for most of the next decade.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
p.s. I couldn't tell, but I assume that you used your blinkers when you executed those turns ;).

p.p.s As a former MSF instructor, I would have had to ding you for not wearing gloves :eek:.
Thanks TW-Brian. It feels good to be legit.

The test proctor was kind enough to let me do it without the gloves since it was about 90 degrees that day and my only pair of gloves are for winter riding. If you watch the video closely he seems pretty uninterested as I'm going through the test course haha.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Great Post welcome to the club of legal riders. I have made good money and made friends leasing
my TW out to folks to pass the DMV test. A lot more challenging than it looks with a large bike
at slow speeds. I stopped the program though when I took the MSF course that excempts one from the test.
That course was awesome! I think everyone who rides on the street should take one. So now daze I tell folks it's cheaper
to take the course than lease my bike. I took the MSF course after being on the road for many many miles and was pretty impressed
with how much I could still improve. Amazing how many little things could be improved with someone watching me. Did I mention it
was a blast? Cowabunga! Learning/improving is great but dang me, somebody elses bike and a closed course? Hot Damn Tamale Ahab
that's a barrel of fun right there. Anything to up the ante on surviving the momo experience is a good thing to me. I suspect California
DMV would rather not do driving tests eh? Mandatory training makes mo sense I think. I was immortal when I got my permit at 15 in California
and it amazes me I survived the learning curve when I look back. I still have friends from that first course too!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Great Post welcome to the club of legal riders. I have made good money and made friends leasing
my TW out to folks to pass the DMV test. A lot more challenging than it looks with a large bike
at slow speeds. I stopped the program though when I took the MSF course that excempts one from the test.
That course was awesome! I think everyone who rides on the street should take one. So now daze I tell folks it's cheaper
to take the course than lease my bike. I took the MSF course after being on the road for many many miles and was pretty impressed
with how much I could still improve. Amazing how many little things could be improved with someone watching me. Did I mention it
was a blast? Cowabunga! Learning/improving is great but dang me, somebody elses bike and a closed course? Hot Damn Tamale Ahab
that's a barrel of fun right there. Anything to up the ante on surviving the momo experience is a good thing to me. I suspect California
DMV would rather not do driving tests eh? Mandatory training makes mo sense I think. I was immortal when I got my permit at 15 in California
and it amazes me I survived the learning curve when I look back. I still have friends from that first course too!
Agree 100% that everyone should take the course! I practice the learned skills every time I go out for a ride... I can now do full lock tight turn at a creep to the left.. Not quite able to continue doing it to the right..hahahaaa. After I took the course I started asking bicycle and Mcycle riders how they turn their bikes.... Haha they said "lean to turn".... Then the discussion would begin. Some looked and listened like I was crazy.... Push left to turn left... OMG!

Just try doing a quick jinks to dodge a pot hole by leaning left and right..

This is a great video describing obstacle avoidance.

Jim

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
But that was just a DMV test. He wasn't a MSF instructor, just a DMV employee. Gloves are not required by law.

Virginia has a similar but easier test that I took once. I don't really like it though that you can get your licence from tests like that. Weaving through cones and making a right hand u turn at three mph are helpful things to know how to do, I suppose, but you should have to learn actual real world on the road riding skills before you get a licence I think.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts