TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone! I had some questions about the TW.

So let me start by saying I am no stranger to bikes/atv riding. But recently I have been interested in getting more into the dual sport side of riding. I was looking up the best rides and immediately noticed the TW. I soon fell in love with it and knew I just had to pick one up! So I headed over to my local Yamaha dealer and found a 2014 TW. The dealers price was $4500 which I thought sounded pretty standard for the bike. I decided to do a little more research, and this leads us to the next part in my TW adventure!

I went home and started researching prices on the TW's, and found one dealer near me was selling a brand new TW for $2999. I immediately called the dealer and asked if they could hold the bike for me. They said it would be a $500 dollar deposit for the hold, and it would be non-refundable if I would change my mind. I didn't love this but I thought it would be fine because I found an awesome deal! I asked the guy on the phone what my final price would be, and he said out the door the bike would be $4375!!! I was shocked at how much the fees on this bike were! $1300 for taxes and fees! That is almost 50% of the bikes value! I told the guy I would just take my chances and come look at it later in the week, and think things over.

So here we sit. I was wondering if any of you TW/Bike veterans could give me a little insight on the fees, and let me know if those are pretty standard prices. Also I was wondering if you could let me know your opinion on buying one of these bikes used? Good or bad idea?

From what I've read I think I'm gonna love the bike. Now I'm just waiting for the right deal to come along so I can officially join this group!

Thanks guys,
Joe :D

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Sorry to say cuz I worked at dealerships most my life, but not in sales. You may as well unbutton your pants and bend over cuz that's how it is. Yeah, base price is what they advertize to get you there. You did good by asking out the door price on the phone. This is why I don't buy new bikes. Maybe look for a nice used one a few years old with very low miles. Spend time here reading, etc in the meantime. There are deals out there. You just need to have the cash in hand, and look at these bikes the day they are listed, or at least reply that day to seller. Best place is craigslist in my opinion. But you have to look a few times a day. And don't rely on sites like searchtempest or alike. Most of the search results are outdated and old. Any deals are long gone. Be willing to travel for a deal. That helps too. More likely to find one by searching a larger area. Around me there are normally 8 to 12 bikes listed. But right now and all winter 0 to 2 listed. Your coming up within the next month or 2 when more sellers will start listing due to incoming riding season and warmer weather.

Or, if you want new, than spend time on the phone with dealers, also willing to travel out of your state. My opinion, TW's are priced fair. What I mean is, "I" think they are worth a little over $4k for that bike. "IF" your going to keep it for 5 or more years. But to pay for new, and sell the same year with under 2k miles? Your going to loose a lot of money. Just make sure it's the right bike for you, just like anything else....;)

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.....:)

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Oh yeah, the bikes haven't changed at all, so maybe look for leftovers, there are still 2013's out there, and a lot of 2014. The only difference is colors. Just know that markup isn't much. What I mean is, they don't make as much as you would think on a new bike sale. So prices wouldn't be half or even 3/4 the price. They make their money on parts (like 150+%), those extra "BS" fees (not the tax and reg.), service, and accessories. Tell them what they really want to hear. Like yes, I need you guys to do all the work on my bike since I know nothing about all that stuff. I'll be buying my helmet and gear and whatever else I'll need after a month or so once I have a little extra money after buying this bike today. Play the game, without laying out the money.....;)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yeah thats what I found out. 40-50% of the bikes total price are added fees..........its just stupid. But there are a lot of TWs out there so people do it I guess. The only new bike I ever bought was my sportster, 10500 MSRP, about 600 bucks in fees...............thats reasonable :)

I bought 2 recently, the first off craigslist, the second from here. Unlike other bike forums I belong to, when people sell here its either an ok deal or a great deal. On other bike forums I belong to when someone is selling youd think they were made out of gold. So, check here in the classified section often. Just like craigslist, if its a good deal it will sell fast. I think the one I bought was sold within 6 hours of being posted.

Now I will disagree with Werloc. Searchtempest is the tool to use for checking a wide area around you. I put my limit at 500 miles. Searchtempests combined results used to be less than stellar. They have improved it greatly, Ive seen adds 1 hour old on the combined results. The bad part is they often have adds on there that are expired, you can get around that by selecting not to show adds over X days old. Now if you still dont trust that, use the direct results mode. 2 windows pop up, one with all the cities listed, the other the ACTUAL result page on craigslist. This is exactly the same thing you would see if you went to each individual cities craigslist page. To go to the next city you just hit next. I cant imagine actually going to each city from within craigslist.............you would be in front of your PC all day.

I used 2 main search words, TW200 and TW 200. They find 99% of TWs out there. Rarely......but sometimes one will come up under trailway, trail way. Another I used on occasion was yamaha 200. Dont pick "motorcycles" as your category. For some reason about 10% of the people dont list their motorcycles there. Choose "All for sale", that will cover all the categories.

As far as buying used? These bikes have changed very little since 1987. If you find a well maintained stock bike your not getting anything by buying newer.

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone
1 - 6 of 6 Posts