TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know these type of questions have been asked a million times but I’m having trouble finding an answer. I ride mostly street and have been looking to lower the RPMs for the 45 mph highways I go on. The only thing is that a lot of the slower speed roads have very steep hills and some of the highways have 20mph headwinds. Would a 14-45 sprocket set up hurt the performance way too much? And if not what’s the lowest I could go before being uncomfortable going up these hills. Thanks guys, sorry if this is a repeat.

·
Registered
19,405 Posts
It would help to know your elevation, plus does "very steep" mean a 6% grade, or a 23% grade? A hundred foot long hill or a half mile long hill?
Either way I fear 14-45 might be a little too tall legged unless you don't mind having to downshift a gear or two at times.

·
Registered
156 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
I run 15 front and 47 rear here in the hills of Western Pa. I have to downshift a little more often than I did when running stock but i think it's worth it. If i was still running with the stock carb settings i don't think I could get away with the taller gearing. I sometimes think the only reason the TW has a 14 front sprocket is to make up for the loss of power due to the lean carb settings.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I know these type of questions have been asked a million times but I’m having trouble finding an answer. I ride mostly street and have been looking to lower the RPMs for the 45 mph highways I go on. The only thing is that a lot of the slower speed roads have very steep hills and some of the highways have 20mph headwinds. Would a 14-45 sprocket set up hurt the performance way too much? And if not what’s the lowest I could go before being uncomfortable going up these hills. Thanks guys, sorry if this is a repeat.
In my opinion, the sweet spot for a TW with stock gearing (14/50) is 45-55mph. Since the highways that you plan to ride are only 45mph, I would suggest that you stick with the stock gearing. The engine rpm's at these speeds would be rather moderate (i.e. tolerable), yet still allow you to handle most grades. I would be more concerned about lugging the engine at the speeds you say you want to ride with the 14/45 gearing. Can we assume that your weight is within "normal" ranges for your size?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would help to know your elevation, plus does "very steep" mean a 6% grade, or a 23% grade? A hundred foot long hill or a half mile long hill?
Either way I fear 14-45 might be a little too tall legged unless you don't mind having to downshift a gear or two at times.
I’ll be hitting a hill everyday that’s aboit 10-13% and I’ll occasionally take it upcountry to some 15+%. I’m normally at sea level-300 feet above. I live in Maui, HI if that helps with anything at all. It’s sounding like 15 front or 47 rear is gonna be my best bet, thanks for the response.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In my opinion, the sweet spot for a TW with stock gearing (14/50) is 45-55mph. Since the highways that you plan to ride are only 45mph, I would suggest that you stick with the stock gearing. The engine rpm's at these speeds would be rather moderate (i.e. tolerable), yet still allow you to handle most grades. I would be more concerned about lugging the engine at the speeds you say you want to ride with the 14/45 gearing. Can we assume that your weight is within "normal" ranges for your size?
Thanks for the respknse, I’m about 135 so maybe a bit light? Also I do understand that the engine can handle the RPMs I’m giving it but I’d just like to be a bit more comfortable at the 55 range. There’s some insane views from the highway and it’s hard to appreciate them while I’m buzzing so much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would change the front to 15t instead,that is only beneficial unless you are into rock crawling
,and then start playing with the rear.
Take a look at the following threads too:
tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/15205-road-gearing.html
tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/55505-gearing.html
tw200forum.com/forum/technical-help/59434-rpm.html
Thanks, I’ll be sure to check those links out. I was kind of trying to avoid changing the front cause I hear it’s quite the pain, but on the other hand front sprockets are a bit cheaper

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I run 15 front and 47 rear here in the hills of Western Pa. I have to downshift a little more often than I did when running stock but i think it's worth it. If i was still running with the stock carb settings i don't think I could get away with the taller gearing. I sometimes think the only reason the TW has a 14 front sprocket is to make up for the loss of power due to the lean carb settings.
That’s good to know, so what did you do to your carb? Just new exhaust and a re-jet? And was there any benefit to doing 15-47 vs 14-42?

·
Registered
333 Posts
That’s good to know, so what did you do to your carb? Just new exhaust and a re-jet? And was there any benefit to doing 15-47 vs 14-42?
Stock exhaust. There is a lot of info here at the forum about carb tuning - that's where I learned how to do it!

I went with a 15 front tooth first and liked the results so much I thought I would try the 47 with it.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
If you increase top speed by modding your gear ratio it will reduce climbing ability and you'll loose speed on hills.

If you want to get the most out of stock gearing then rev out each gear as you accelerate till you reach your top speed which will get you to a higher top speed where you can run at lower RPMS.

I have a 52 tooth on a stock tire that will get me to 50mph in 4th gear so when I switch to 5th my rpms are low.

·
Registered
552 Posts
If you want to get the most out of stock gearing then rev out each gear as you accelerate till you reach your top speed which will get you to a higher top speed where you can run at lower RPMS.

I have a 52 tooth on a stock tire that will get me to 50mph in 4th gear so when I switch to 5th my rpms are low.
What? Are you implying that you can change your 5th gear ratio depending on what speed you are going when you shift into 5th? At 55 mph your rpms in 5th gear are going to be the same whether you shifted into 5th at 50 mph or at 25 mph and slowly worked your way up. Maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

·
Registered
19,405 Posts
Ohio does not have any 10,000+ foot volcanos like Maui's Haleakala so a 44 toother probably works in the mid-west.:p haleakala.jpeg
Considering Chis's light weight, mostly dense sea level air and riding environment I would guess the stock gearing would be fine most of the time but nothing wrong with a downshift now and then if dropping a few teeth in the rear permits a more satisfying relaxed coastal cruise. For porky me I'ld be in 3rd grear by the time I reached the parking lot on the crater's rim for a sunrise or sunset ride.
Hawaii seems a good place for having a TW, other than being so unique the local police will recognize you and your tracks.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
What? Are you implying that you can change your 5th gear ratio depending on what speed you are going when you shift into 5th? At 55 mph your rpms in 5th gear are going to be the same whether you shifted into 5th at 50 mph or at 25 mph and slowly worked your way up. Maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say.
Sort of....when you build momentum before switching to fifth it has an easier time reaching higher speeds since 5th gear lacks torque. I have found myself unknowingly in 5th gear doing only 30mph wondering where my higher gears went. In order to reach higher speeds I had to gear down and rev out each gear to build my speed. 5th gear does a poor job at accelerating from lower speeds. The owners manual's speeds for gear switching recommendations are very low and will have your top speed reduce to 50 unless on a downhill.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hello
I tried a lot of transmission gearing, I often come back to 14/45 ...
Except the engine is in 236 cc where more cc ... where a 6 ° speed

Originally, the TW200 at a cruising speed of about 56 mph.
See the graph

Gear data TW200.jpg

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Thanks christddel...

How near is 14/45 to 15/50?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts