TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to the Tdub world. I have a 2008 model I recently picked up, it has stock tires on it and are getting pretty thin on traction. I am looking at new tires I have decided on the Kenda K270 for front I think, 5.10x18. For the rear I am on the fence on what to do. I ride 50/50 and live in northern idaho in the panhandle. I would like something a little more aggressive but I do use it as a daily commuter and need something comfortable on the street. I know many are running the Maxxis Ceros 26x9x14 with no mods needed to fit the tire. I was looking for a DOT certified tire and found the EFX MotoGrip Radial ATV Tire 26x9x14,https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/723/42360/EFX-MotoGrip-Radial-ATV-Tire

How do you guys think this tire would do for 50/50 and do you think they will mount good? They are a 8ply DOT rated tire and for only a few more dollars than the Ceros.
All help is greatly appreciated, Thanks
D-Tat

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
In my opinion unless you are running in serious mud there is almost no need for the ATV tire( i run a duro when i need one). For anything from loose to hard packed dirt, rocky, sandy, road, etc the stock rear works just fine with plenty of traction. When it gets muddy is where it has a shortcoming.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is the reason I am asking, the area's I run for the 50 off road can go from snow, to deep mud, to super rocky steep terrain, to wet bear grass. not a ton of sand but down by the rivers there is, I live in Lewiston Idaho and ride Hells Canyon a lot. I was also thinking the 8 ply would be great for possible flat in an emergency to ride out on like littletommy stated. My big question would be if you all think I could mount it without having to make modifications to the bike, do you think this tire would run good on the road or is it to aggressive? It looks pretty similar to the Maxis Ceros but it has a little larger knobs with larger gaps for cleaning. Thank you both for the reply.

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
I haven't heard of that particular tire being used before. The problem will be how it fits in the swing arm. If it is too close, mud and crud could build up hindering your travels. It will feel different on the road for sure, but you would get used to it easily enough. Hopefully other's will chime in.

·
Registered
111 Posts
In my opinion unless you are running in serious mud there is almost no need for the ATV tire( i run a duro when i need one). For anything from loose to hard packed dirt, rocky, sandy, road, etc the stock rear works just fine with plenty of traction. When it gets muddy is where it has a shortcoming.
Very true.

This is what my tire looked like sliding around on the snowmobile trails.

·
Super Moderator
1,904 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I would not go with the Kenda K270 for the front. I have had one one one the back of my WR and it sucks. I also had the golden boy (same tread pattern) on the front of the TW and it sucks in mud. I have gone with the MT43 in front on the TW. Love this tire on the back of my WR, but it wears quickly on the road with the WR.
Can't help with a rear tire choice as I am looking one myself. I just replaced the worn rear with a stock TW dirt tire.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Now thats a knarley tire. Do you know how long they will last? Mileage wise?

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
I went with the Maxxis Cero's and had a local guy mount it up, he only charged $20 so I couldn't complain to much.. Looks great and rides even better. View attachment 20652
What size Maxxis did you get. Did the local guy report having any special problems mounting it, like having to trim the bead or anything like they do on the Duro Tires?

·
Registered
19,213 Posts
D-Tat might be starting down the long Farkle Road of extended swing arm, longer chain, new sprockets to compensate for taller tire's effect on gear ratios, etc...But that is one superior looking tire good enough to conquer Hell's Canyon.
DOT legal?
Weight?
Inflated diameter?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts