TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start tearing my TW200 down soon to have the frame and everything powdercoated. I wanted to survey the group for opinions on color. I was dead set on black, but now I'm considering silver. I think I'm gonna leave the wheels, swingarm, triples and fork tubes silver... but I'm not sure on the rest.

For plastic, I'm also torn between black, white, and a combination of the two. Right now my seat is blue, but it will likely get recovered in black, and I'll go with new black fork boots.

Part of me is thinking to go with a black rear fender and side panels, white tank, white headlight cowling, and white fender. But with a black seat it's a lot of black. Maybe the silver frame will help offset it?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I thought about a black and white "police" motif for my bike too. I believe the silver frame would set it off. Is your motor silver? The black frame would make it pop though. Hmmm- decisions, decisions!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My motor can go either way. I'm not sure what color it was supposed to be, but one of the previous owners did a half-ass job of trying to paint it silver. I need to paint it something while it's out of the frame, so whichever color compliments the setup best.

If it wasn't so much work to de-lace and re-lace the wheels, I'd powdercoat them too... but they're already silver (spray painted) so they will stay that way for a while at least.

Rob

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I'm going to start tearing my TW200 down soon to have the frame and everything powdercoated. I wanted to survey the group for opinions on color. I was dead set on black, but now I'm considering silver. I think I'm gonna leave the wheels, swingarm, triples and fork tubes silver... but I'm not sure on the rest.

For plastic, I'm also torn between black, white, and a combination of the two. Right now my seat is blue, but it will likely get recovered in black, and I'll go with new black fork boots.

Part of me is thinking to go with a black rear fender and side panels, white tank, white headlight cowling, and white fender. But with a black seat it's a lot of black. Maybe the silver frame will help offset it?

Thoughts?
Rob, Just sent you a PM.

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
Bright yellow frame and accents on basically black bike a la Mr.Bracket would make a striking statement.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heh, yeah I saw that one. Neat bike, but I don't want to be a copycat.

Another idea is to go with the previous idea of all black -- black frame, motor, swingarm, forks, triples, wheels, EVERYTHING... but then take my existing ShitPlastic(tm) and do a vinyl wrap on it in some other color... say, Olive Drab and go for the Militant look. Or Flat Desert Tan.

Another idea, that would get old after about ten minutes, would be a bright orange frame and lime green vinyl-wrapped plastic (or vice versa). Not. :)

Seriously though... yeah I'm torn. Not sure what to do. I don't envy the idea of spending $250+ on new plastic, but then again, it's easier than trying to wrap everything in vinyl. I'm also planning to do the XT225 Clarke gas tank, so I need to figure out the color scheme before I order it.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I still have that earlier white( creamy) rear fender for sale. It was painted then stripped before I bought it. I cleaned it up, looks OK.
If Id used XT350 tank I think I'd have done white tank and red fenders. Black for the XT225 tank. But changed my mind when I bought former member Bruce's plastic.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got back from the powdercoater's shop. I had the bike on the bike rack since I went to get it registered. I'm having second thoughts. They're talking $300-350 to do all the powdercoating. Gack. I was expecting maybe $200-250. So I'm not sure anymore. I'm wondering if I could manage to clean up and strip the frame by myself and just repaint it instead of having it powdercoated. Would be a helluva lot cheaper.

Not sure what to do. Next step is to make the brake light work so I can ride it around a bit while I decide. It's supposed to be somewhat sunny this weekend.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spent the afternoon cleaning up the plastic. It's looking pretty darn good, despite the fact that the plastic is NOT white and is in fact that really ancient, "extremely pale blue" as the parts fiche calls it.

You can't see all the scratches in the photo, but from 5' it looks pretty good all things considered.

2015-02-13 16.05.01 copy.jpg

I ordered a Trailtech Vapor and a Seat Concepts seat today. Once the new wiring harness arrives next week, I can get working turn signals on it and be totally legal.

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Looks pretty good in the picture.

Once you take it off road and dump it and put a big knarly scratch in it, you won't care that much anymore... :D

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
RobG, she looks pretty good from here unless you are really tired of the look.
How about painting frame blue while retaining existing silver and white? Get and paint a Cyclerack same blue while your at it, create a bright colored exoskeleton look. blue skidplate and handguards too?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
RobG do what makes you happy. 2 colours I have always liked are "crayola orange" and turquoise but I'm not sure they would look good on a TW. Black and gold is always a nice combo too.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think you are lucky you get to choose your color scheme. I dream of making mine yellow with the black Yamaha ladder pattern on the tank.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts