TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Our forum member/Fireman sure did a supurb job in putting that video together, LOTS of time spent. A big THANK YOU to Daisydela. Many of us know of "On Any Sunday". This production might be called "A Saturday, Never forgotten". Gerry

P.S..... Adam, still waiting on the pics/videos of your followup adventure.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Our forum member/Fireman sure did a supurb job in putting that video together, LOTS of time spent. A big THANK YOU to Daisydela. Many of us know of "On Any Sunday". This production might be called "A Saturday, Never forgotten". Gerry

Hi guys: Really a nice 3 part trip with daisydela and mr.gizmo. The music, well I really liked part 2 with "Pipeline" by the Ventures.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
"Hi guys: Really a nice 3 part trip with daisydela and mr.gizmo. The music, well I really liked part 2 with "Pipeline" by the Ventures".

I can't lay claim to doing more than a few hundred feet of the Rubicon. That sample suggested to me 'the trail' was far more difficult than expected. Currently, the real Rubicon adventurers on the Daisydela video are Adam and Elime. Gerry

·
Registered
656 Posts
"Hi guys: Really a nice 3 part trip with daisydela and mr.gizmo. The music, well I really liked part 2 with "Pipeline" by the Ventures".

I can't lay claim to doing more than a few hundred feet of the Rubicon. That sample suggested to me 'the trail' was far more difficult than expected. Currently, the real Rubicon adventurers on the Daisydela video are Adam and Elime. Gerry
Hi Gerry: I saw Elimes pict at the beginning, and would definitely like to know his impressions of the ride. Way too rough for me these days. That was 15-25 years ago for me on a bike. ATV's a bit different. The TDub continues to be a ride I like, despite it's insufficiences, I find it a vehicle I can play with to get the most out of it for any given circumstance. As an "oldster", don't necessarily need the power of old, though sometimes say, I got to buy another bike with"more"(and probably will).

·
Registered
656 Posts
You should have gone about a month ago with Adam and his friend. It is something you will never forget.
Hi elime: Really would like your take on this particular adventure for better or worse. Just a Dogonit.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Hi elime: Really would like your take on this particular adventure for better or worse. Just a Dogonit.
It was difficult but not impossible. At the time I had just taken up riding a motorcycle again after about 40 years off, not in the best of shape, and 61 or 62 years old. It took pretty much all day but I was riding with some great guys and it was a lot of fun. I fell over so many times I lost count, most of the time landing on large flat pieces of granite but avoiding all the sharp corners. I think if I did it today I would do much better. I have been challenging myself at the "local" (60 miles away) off road park and I can see and measure improvement in my abilities, however I am now 67. I often look in the mirror and ask myself "Am I to old to be doing this?" but I always go out to ride some more and I really enjoy single track.

Given my new found abilities I dream of trying it again. There is a mystique to the Rubicon Trail. People come from all over to test their abilities and machines. The scenery is spectacular -- pictures do not do it justice. Some of the rock crawling machines unbelievable. There were several broken down vehicles on the trail and riding by them -- I will sum it up by saying I am glad it wasn't me. We were ill prepared -- lack of water, food, Tylenol -- and total strangers willing shared what they had with us.

Adam was by far the best rider in the group and could have made it without help, but not me or David, the other guy. When we got back to camp my legs felt like they were full of glue. My hands were so stiff I had trouble straightening my fingers. My turn signals were broken and many pieces of metal on my bike were bent. I had dreamed of riding the Rubicon Trail for many years and this was the first time I could. All I can say is I still dream of that day and what an absolutely great time I had and the very fine people I met -- Mr. Gizmo, Adam, David, and Shawndorf. I dream about riding it again, from Loon Lake to Lake Tahoe. I think now I could ride the trail in about half the time and do it easily (famous last words) -- but I look in the mirror and ask myself "should I ?" -- I probably would give it a try. You know, ride in a mile of so and evaluate if I should go further, then another mile, then another, until I was half way then it would be shorter to continue than go back.

If you have a specific question ask and I will try to answer it. Tony.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I dream about riding it again, from Loon Lake to Lake Tahoe. I think now I could ride the trail in about half the time and do it easily (famous last words) -- but I look in the mirror and ask myself "should I ?" -- I probably would give it a try. You know, ride in a mile of so and evaluate if I should go further, then another mile, then another, until I was half way then it would be shorter to continue than go back.
this sounds like a ride we should plan for late spring if the weather/snow is right.....

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hopefully, the weather will not permit riding on that date. I'm ready for a Winter that gives an unwavering storm, and so to are our reservoirs. If we have a winter anything like the last, late spring would work just fine. Typically, the Rubi shouldn't be accessed until late May or June.

I'm in though! I can always take some more of that trail :D Loon Lake to Tahoe!

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Hopefully, the weather will not permit riding on that date. I'm ready for a Winter that gives an unwavering storm, and so to are our reservoirs. If we have a winter anything like the last, late spring would work just fine. Typically, the Rubi shouldn't be accessed until late May or June.

I'm in though! I can always take some more of that trail :D Loon Lake to Tahoe!
Be forewarned folks, Adam may be a Senior Member, but he is as well, likely much younger than most of you. ;)....

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I would love to take on the Rubicon again! Got a taste of it with Banana chunks, Adam, Fred, and that other feller who wasn't riding a TW. (Dale???). It was very hard and exhausting but had always dreamed of riding on it and the grin on my face lasted days!!! Be a fun motorcycle camping trip for next year???

·
Registered
19,221 Posts
I think Adan-in-Nevada would do the Rubicon again at a moments notice and I would happily join him. We talked about doing it this summer and fall but my "easy rides" and Adam's busy travel plans kept us from scheduling the real deal. It is serious stuff in that stamina is mandatory. Camping or starting at the Loon Lake side would allow folks to quit if ride was too much yet still have gentler options to play on near Loon Lake. Yesterday's snow above 7000 ft should melt soon but the window to do this is rapidly collapsing as days get shorter and nights colder.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I seem to remember reading about a group of settlers heading to CA having a problem with sudden weather change and getting stuck in the Sierras..... What was the name of their group or party??? Donner???? Although they were able to come up with some good BBQ.....

·
Registered
19,221 Posts
What are we going to do with you and your history lessons, Mike? I'm gonna make sure you are invited just so we have enough provisions even after your beer is gone. You gotta taste better than bear. P1010698.JPG

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
:p, Fred, or we could rename you Fried.....you never showed me that pic before of that bear peering in you window while mrs fred was cooking or baking something.......

·
Registered
19,221 Posts
She was cooking for the dogs!
Actually she was running the food dehydrator overnight making dried chicken breast dog-treats. Their enticing aromas spilled out screened windows thus attracting Mr. Bear. We wont do that again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts