TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new here and new to TWs in general. Today i had a new issue. When i got on the bike and started it and set out it was hard to get into second. Then the shift lever didnt return down from the up position. It was stuck and had to be forced back down to get into 3rd. And it was worse as i went up in gears. And its stuck hard and needs to be shifted hard to be brought up and only while moving will it work. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Is the shifter bent and rubbing and hanging up on the case? That's happened to me. Have you changed the oil recently? If not, start there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just bought the bike off a guy. Although he said he just changed the oil he might have been lying. Oil level does look good tho. The lever doesnt look significantly bent but honestly i wouldnt know better. Nothing happened though between today and yesterday tho to bend the lever

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Check your oil level. Is the clutch fully engaging? It should roll easily in neutral as well as in gear forward and back with the clutch lever pulled in and engine off or on. If the cable isn't adjusted right or somehow got off it's routing, that might cause difficult shifts. Maybe the clutch springs have gotten weak. I changed mine out to these;
springs.jpg
I've found Rotella 10-30 conventional oil to make the smoothest shifts for my TW200. Snickity Click! Easy Peasy to find neutral at any speed including idle or engine off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah so i suppose i should mention it slides into neutral and first with ease. Shifting up is the only issue.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Hmmm... almost sounds like a bent shifting fork. I've never torn down to the tranny on a TW200, but I have other bikes. All were 2-strokes so fairly easy. I've never heard of anyone bending a shift fork on a TW200 though. Might try the search feature to see if there's any history.

·
Registered
412 Posts
TWs are cold blooded. You need to let the engine warm the oil up. Also remember to only use oil designed for a wet clutch. You may just want to do an oil change. Lots of idiots out there.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Here's a search for shift fork issues;
Shift Fork Issues

I'd make sure the shifter lever bolt isn't backed out and blocking against the case before panicing.

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I may have been a bit rough with the shifter i had a klr before and you had to hit the shift fairly hard. Any advise for someone that never pulled open the transfer case?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm honestly thinking of taking it to a mechanic for a diagnosis. Any one know how much that usually costs?

·
Registered
96 Posts
If your mechanically inclined, drain oil and pull the clutch cover. Below resides under your clutch basket. Check spring number 2 and the the fingers that rotate the shift drum and see if anything is suspect in this area before going deeper into the engine. Check number 7 and 4. The star is what the fingers index to change gears. Most shift related issues are in these areas. Shift forks and drums are inside the center cases and can usually take quite a bit of abuse before failure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If your mechanically inclined, drain oil and pull the clutch cover. Below resides under your clutch basket. Check spring number 2 and the the fingers that rotate the shift drum and see if anything is suspect in this area before going deeper into the engine. Check number 7 and 4. The star is what the fingers index to change gears. Most shift related issues are in these areas. Shift forks and drums are inside the center cases and can usually take quite a bit of abuse before failure.

View attachment 207438

View attachment 207437
Thanks man! Ill pull out the oil pan in a couple of days and check it out! I'll let you guys know what i find

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

View attachment 207438

View attachment 207437
Thanks man! Ill pull out the oil pan in a couple of days and check it out! I'll let you guys know what i find

·
Registered
96 Posts
Your welcome. Check that your shift lever is not spinning around on the splines before you do anything. I've seen some that ran loose for so long that the splines were almost worn smooth.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
keep it simple and check the most obvious first. be sure that the shift lever and shaft move freely before moving to more complex tear down.

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To the guy that recommended i just loosen the shift lever bolt: thank you so much! I can finally get back on the saddle for some adventures!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
So that was it?!
Great!
At least 3 of us mentioned it. Guess experience ran strong with that is an issue.
Glad to hear you got 'er done!

·
Registered
20,629 Posts
Congratulations!
I was going to suggest double checking the obvious external issues like putting bike on simple stand and run through the gears with hand on shifter, not foot, looking and feeling for any conflict in shifter movement.
Experience teaches that occasionally while riding we can also hit things that bend the shifter in so that it hits skid plate or case cover.
Sometimes a bit of a boo-boo can bend some of the other parts a little bit too.
brake pedal-4B36-88BC-76F8D82A2C45.jpeg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts