TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I bought a tw200 a couple months ago and I recently just started riding it. Anyone else find that it's very slow(like very very slow) with barley any acceleration. I honestly expected more. I know it's only a 200 but I "upgraded" from a 150 and it is so much slower. Any help would be nice.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Are you talking slow like not running properly or slow like you’ve got rock-climbing sprockets or slow like you were expecting more from a 13 hp bike?

Give us symptoms and we’ll try to provide answers or explanations.

·
Registered
159 Posts
(like very very slow)
Yep gear it down. It will accelerate a bit quicker but with a lower top speed
one of my TW’s came with a ## pipe and it was no quicker or faster than the other stock dub. It was really LOUD so it is gone. There is no hidden horsepower, you would have to build it. Many have modified higher hp tdubs on this forum.

i originally went to a 55 tooth sprocket and got a new longer chain. This worked good on/off road. But I use my dub mostly dirt so l swapped out the countershaft sprocket to a 13 tooth and stay off the streets.
If I were to do it again I would do just the 13t countershaft, because it’s cheaper and easier than replacing the sprocket and it doesn’t require a longer chain.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Like this slow, or slower?
😌well at 120 lbs , tdubs kids bike is not that quick , my 1996 model will easily pass 65 mph with my “ fat ass“ on it and I’m 224 lbs , that’s with a standard exhaust on and gearing plus knobby tyres ☺ the only thing that has been worked on is the “ old style slide carb “ that’s had plenty time/ money spent on getting it as best as I can .
The elapsed time is pretty close also, so I would say it’s a average indication of what the tw200 should be , and before anyone says ( was your testing done downhill ????o_O,) no it was not it was done on flat tarmac , and speed checked by my friend verifying speedo accuracy
I’m quite chuffed that my bike seems to perform well looking at that video 😁

·
Registered
273 Posts
😌well at 120 lbs , tdubs kids bike is not that quick , my 1996 model will easily pass 65 mph with my “ fat ass“ on it and I’m 224 lbs , that’s with a standard exhaust on and gearing plus knobby tyres ☺ the only thing that has been worked on is the “ old style slide carb “ that’s had plenty time/ money spent on getting it as best as I can .
The elapsed time is pretty close also, so I would say it’s a average indication of what the tw200 should be , and before anyone says ( was your testing done downhill ????o_O,) no it was not it was done on flat tarmac , and speed checked by my friend verifying speedo accuracy
I’m quite chuffed that my bike seems to perform well looking at that video 😁
😂 another thing to note also is I do not get 94 miles before hitting reserve !!! Probably 75-80 miles at a push , but again it’s pulling nearly twice the weight and a modified carb

·
Registered
56 Posts
Define how slow is "very very slow"? I've rode a lot of motorcycles over the years, and the TW is pretty slow, even for a 200cc. I think even my old CBR125 was faster. It's designed that way; it's meant for trails and backroads, not the freeway. I find if I shuffle quickly through the gears, I'm in 3rd gear by the far side of the intersection and staying ahead of most of cars off the line. Once it gets up to about 40-50 MPH and I'm shifting into 5th gear, the cars are catching up.

It's not a fast bike - it's a fun bike.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Define how slow is "very very slow"? I've rode a lot of motorcycles over the years, and the TW is pretty slow, even for a 200cc. I think even my old CBR125 was faster. It's designed that way; it's meant for trails and backroads, not the freeway. I find if I shuffle quickly through the gears, I'm in 3rd gear by the far side of the intersection and staying ahead of most of cars off the line. Once it gets up to about 40-50 MPH and I'm shifting into 5th gear, the cars are catching up.

It's not a fast bike - it's a fun bike.
I agree fully: Taking off even if the TW is slow, you are ahead of nearly all cars unless they are fully alert to the traffic and lights. You add in the phone factor and only about 1% of people will ever out accelerate you from a light. Those old 2 stroke 125 were quick.

·
Registered
273 Posts
TW's get faster as you get older
🤣😂🤣 that’s why you need a bigger capacity street bike or all purpose off road bike also to keep your skills and nerve up to speed , the problem is not the bikes , the issue is the human body as we get older its not as supple and strong as it was when you were younger so the mind reacts in the same manner ,( slower) that’s why we think it’s fast when we get older ( in my opinion ), but yeah remember that tw200 was originally designed for expedition use in the arctic and not the race track

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep gear it down. It will accelerate a bit quicker but with a lower top speed
one of my TW’s came with a ## pipe and it was no quicker or faster than the other stock dub. It was really LOUD so it is gone. There is no hidden horsepower, you would have to build it. Many have modified higher hp tdubs on this forum.

i originally went to a 55 tooth sprocket and got a new longer chain. This worked good on/off road. But I use my dub mostly dirt so l swapped out the countershaft sprocket to a 13 tooth and stay off the streets.
If I were to do it again I would do just the 13t countershaft, because it’s cheaper and easier than replacing the sprocket and it doesn’t require a longer chain.
Did you keep the 55 rear when you did the 13 front ?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Did you keep the 55 rear when you did the 13 front ?... yep currently 13/55 with stock tire. It is geared really low and gets even lower when you air down. I was going to try13/50 but a recent trip tot he dunes squashed that idea. Pretty happy with it now ( except on the highway)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you keep the 55 rear when you did the 13 front ?... yep currently 13/55 with stock tire. It is geared really low and gets even lower when you air down. I was going to try13/50 but a recent trip tot he dunes squashed that idea. Pretty happy with it now ( except on the highway)
Thanks ! I went to a 54 rear and it is much better but I would like it lower I think . I can still hit 65mph and I don't need to . Do you know your top speed ? If I can get 50-55 mph , that would be plenty for me . I ride on the road to get to the trails and the roads are 50 mph tops .

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yep it will do 55mph I recently loaned it out for a DMV test to my coworker. He passed the test but complained he was stuck at 55 driving to and from the DMV.
It cruises nicely below 50mph and that’s enough for me to get groceries and gas.

Give it a try, were talking about a simple part swap, it’s not like it’s welded and I can always swap back when I learn to ride faster

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep it will do 55mph I recently loaned it out for a DMV test to my coworker. He passed the test but complained he was stuck at 55 driving to and from the DMV.
It cruises nicely below 50mph and that’s enough for me to get groceries and gas.

Give it a try, were talking about a simple part swap, it’s not like it’s welded and I can always swap back when I learn to ride faster
Thank you very much . I'm gonna do it .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts