TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new member here and thinking of getting a TW200 for packing down the singletrack trails we ride fatbikes on. If you're not familiar with a fatbike, look up a Surly Pugsley on the web. It's basically the TW version of a mountain bike. I already own a TTR230 that is reg'd for the street, but the tires are not the most aggressive, and I know it won't do well in the snow. I wanted to know if anyone has experience riding a TW in 6+ inches of snow. Ideally, a BW200 would probably be better suited for what I'm trying to do, but they are hard to find, and you can't ride them on the street, legally anyway.

Let me know what you think, and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, new member here and thinking of getting a TW200 for packing down the singletrack trails we ride fatbikes on. If you're not familiar with a fatbike, look up a Surly Pugsley on the web. It's basically the TW version of a mountain bike. I already own a TTR230 that is reg'd for the street, but the tires are not the most aggressive, and I know it won't do well in the snow. I wanted to know if anyone has experience riding a TW in 6+ inches of snow. Ideally, a BW200 would probably be better suited for what I'm trying to do, but they are hard to find, and you can't ride them on the street, legally anyway.

Everything you know about riding in snow with a fat bike is relevant to riding a TW in the snow but with about 3X the weight. The tires on the TW are not wide enough nor aggressive enough to be really effective on soft trails.
A BW would be better and a Rokon the best single track vehicle for the purpose.
If the trails are well packed then a TW will have less impact than a dirt bike but its not going to float like a Moonlander. More like a 29+.

Craig

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I can tell you mine with the stock rear got promptly stuck when i rode it in about a foot of snow, that's with a brand new rear tire. It just had no bite. On packed snow its ok but really doesn't have a lot of grip. The one i have the duro mounted on it is unstoppable in the snow from a traction standpoint. The Duro has the traction to dig right in and go but the 5.10" shinko i have mounted up front is just too wide and it floats and pushes all over the place. That wide front tire makes it pretty hard to ride in the snow.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Just got back from riding sierra nevadas with Fred, Adam, and Phil. We ran into some snow and played around in it. We didn't get stuck but ask Fred how his did trying to go up that snowy hill....LOL.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I had a bunch of fun the first winter I had my TW, back in 08'. I found, much like Admiral, that my truck cables worked awesome! Although, a situation that would need chaining or cables would leave the path or track quite chomped up, rendering usage for bicycles not-so-packed.

great ride, Evan :)

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Straight-across chains don't work well for steering. I've used the cable type in a V pattern with good results as the angle seems to help with the pushing. Cutting the Vs off one chain and adding them to the second made a big difference, too. Couldn't get the cables to stay atop the knobs with the stock front tire, but they worked well on a TW203. I also doubled the cross chains on the rear set and that made a lot of difference.

·
Registered
19,445 Posts
So 69Tr6r I guess the answer is TW not very good for packing down snow for bike trails. You would want big no-lug ballon tires to keep from ripping up surface and progressively pack down trail. Depending on snow density, moisture content and temp I would first try snowshoes to prep the trails with contact pressures of only 4 psi or so, then move up compaction pressure with narrow ,short skiis, then stomped boots etc untill you get compaction at a greater psi than you are. running in fat tires. Otherwise bike tires will cut through and you will bog down.
My TW has wide atv tire does ok in light powder and mild crusty snow but leaves a mess behind not suitable for bicycle. Any slope or ice will really reduce TW's ability to get around.
Evan and Adam-in-Nevada can attest to how poorly I do on inclined icefields. So slick I couldn't stand, steer or motor off of ice sheet,; but this is off-topic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the replies, this is a great forum! Sounds like I need a BW or Rokon, as someone mentioned. We're doing the snowshoe method, and it works, but it's time consuming.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi, new member here and thinking of getting a TW200 for packing down the singletrack trails we ride fatbikes on. If you're not familiar with a fatbike, look up a Surly Pugsley on the web. It's basically the TW version of a mountain bike.

I can't comment on the TW (winter will be gone before I get mine, but those Pugsley bikes are beasts! The local bike shop has one, and it looks awesome. If I could swing the price tag, I'd buy one for a winter bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Haven't tried mine in the snow yet but I would guess a foot is pushing it. I did have an XR4 rigged for going on ice with spikes and that is the way to go even in the snow. Tried chains in snow but unless you have some like someone mentioned above they are worthless up front. I have the Duro rear and a Pirelli MT21 up front so they will be nice tires to spike.

I gotta tell you though, there's an old saying... Know what's betting than owning your own snow mobiles (boat, side by side, swimming pool, etc...)? Having a brother in law that has two and needs a place to keep them.

·
Registered
13,352 Posts
As there will be no winter riding for me this year, I am looking forward to some improvements for next year. Someone elsewhere in the www mentioned adding nuts & bolts to the chain for greater traction.

I like it!

Throw some bolts and nuts on those links... and you'll have some serious traction!

I'll put some serious studs on my old Shinko 244 for next year. One needs the studs on the packed snow otherwise you'll end up in a road side ditch. You don't want to end up in a road side ditch!

And this idea is still in the works. Don't know if I'll go the "outrigger" way as someone is doing here on the forum or frontal ski replacing the tire. Either way I got the parts!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts