TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've sold off a couple of bikes and I'm looking for the right deal on a used TW. In the meantime I'm researching ideas to set the bike up the way I want. I have always enjoyed having a tachometer and was fishing about for ideas. I've seen the digital ones that are very inexpensive but was looking for something more OEM looking.

The TW has been around since forever so the parts bins in the tuning fork factory have had pretty much the same parts since 1987. So i looked at Yamahas from the '80s.

Here's the OEM stock gauge cluster.

Take a look at the DT gauge cluster with a tach. An exact match in my opinion but there's a catch...

It's cable driven off a screw drive from the motor. :cry:

So I'm looking into converting the mechanical to electric. The signal, neutral and high beam lights should be a plug & play in

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think it has been done by a member here,but a long ago,don't remember the thread.
A couple of years ago I saw a sale ad with a TW with a yamaha mechanical tachometer.
It had an camshaft cover with analog rpm cable adapter.
I searched a lot back then but couldn't find a yamaha with similar(in terms of fitting) looking cam cover.
I also searched for digital to analog adapters/converters but couldn't find reasonably sized ones.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
i always thought about using an xt350 gauge cluster, but not that you point it out, it looks like it to would have the same issue.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I think it has been done by a member here,but a long ago,don't remember the thread.
A couple of years ago I saw a sale ad with a TW with a yamaha mechanical tachometer.
It had an camshaft cover with analog rpm cable adapter.
I am not finding anything either.

Coming off a cam (or crank) would require a worm drive to a cable to mechanically use the referenced tach.

Using a cam sensor (where would it mount?) to regulate output, a servo motor could drive a cable. That is rather complex for a basic TW.

That tach would look great, but I was pleased when speedo cables and tach cables were replaced by electric, although I much prefer analog over digital for most applications.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'd looked into the same thing, since the XT has a "matching" tach. But as mentioned the fact that it's a mechanical drive tach was the roadblock. I didn't care about matching the look that closely. Got a little digital Trail Tech TTO tach and just 3M tape'd it above the indicator lights. Installs in 5 minutes and while it doesn't have the factory look, it works fine. I was more curious what RPM it was running at different gearing setups, it's not a bike that you really "need" a tach for.

I looked into if the YTM200 trike or Moto4 quads had a tach or ever offered one as an accessory since the top ends of the engine are virtually identical, and didn't turn anything up. Honda offered speedo/tach accessories for a couple of it's trike models (complete with a kit with cables and drive adapters), but it doesn't appear that Yamaha ever did this.

Yamaha used the "square" gauges on a lot of it's small bore/dual sport bikes in the 80's and 90s, but every one I've seen pictures of is cable drive for both speed and tach.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts