TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a TW200 and I have an older DRZ with a terrible ethanol problem. I ride in California. The DRZ will get so crudded up that the carb has to be rebuilt.

Are there newer model years of the TW200 that handle the ethanol-gas better? I see some posts on how to handle it, but not so much on how to avoid it....

·
Registered
20,479 Posts

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Hi Motosaurus, and welcome to the forum!

From my personal experience, TW's are much less sensitive to the problem that you have described with your DRZ. I had a 2006 DRZ400SM that would give me fits if it wasn't started and ridden regularly (i.e., every week or so). My TW's can go for months without riding and will always start. I have more battery problems than carb problems, which is why I have installed a kicker on all of my TW's. (I also installed a kicker on my DRZ, but my leg was never strong enough to kickstart it reliably :().
I got rid of my DRZ.

Where are you at in California!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Welcome to the forum from WI. Shutting off the fuel and letting it run all the fuel out of the float bowl has worked well for me. I also add a little Seafoam to every tank full.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Thanks. I am thinking just get a new fuel jug and buy some no-ethanol gas to fill the bike up at home. I don't ride that often, I'd have to put Stabil in the jug, but that's no big deal.
That is exactly what I do. When traveling, I carry 8 oz. of StarTron. Since two 6 gallon jugs of gas will last two weeks of camping and riding, I have rarely used it. For the winter, I top up with 87 Non Ethanol in November and 2 oz. of Stabil. Bike starts right up in March. :D Non Ethanol gas will not degrade much in 3-4 months.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
You're in a nice area! I am up north in the SF Bay area.

Add your locale to your profile, there may be some fellow forum members nearby in case you have any questions or want to take a TW for a spin before you commit to buying one.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm looking at getting a TW200 and I have an older DRZ with a terrible ethanol problem. I ride in California. The DRZ will get so crudded up that the carb has to be rebuilt.

Are there newer model years of the TW200 that handle the ethanol-gas better? I see some posts on how to handle it, but not so much on how to avoid it....
When putting your TW up after a ride, turn off gas while running, when it dies park it with gas off. Seems to work for me.

I had my carb die cause of ethanol-gas when I lived in SoCal, after rebuild I always run it dry before parking it overnight or longer.

Don't forget to turn gas back on to start it! Almost killed my battery one time when I swore to myself I had turned the gas back on LOL.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
There's noting wrong with ethanol but I'm saying that because where I live I have no choice. When I have the opportunity I'll use ethanol-free when it's available. Main thing to do is ride and run your engine/bike. The turning off your petcock is a good idea if you've got the time for a TW's carbs to actually drain. There are other good reasons for doing that as well.

You don't have to drive every day or even every week. But running is better than sitting. My oldest bike is buried 5 motorcycles back in my garage. That bike is filled to the brim with ethanol-free because I knew it would not be used more than once a month over the Winter. The others are run at least 4-5-6 times a month and have gas & seafoam. I have not had any problems with any including the TW over the last 3 years.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Non E is hard to come by in LA area. The closest stations listed online don't actually have it.
I was told that gas stations near the docks have it but I haven't seen it yet.

Not a huge problem as I don't go longer than 5 days without riding. I also run it out of gas before letting it sit

·
Registered
234 Posts
My motorized stuff is only used seasonally....so they are in storage for months....I NEVER put that crap in them....EVER....luckily we have non ethanol fuel available locally and I have a ample supply at home for boats, bikes, snow blowers, generators, ORVs, RV, mowers.......

If it wasn't available I honest to god would go several hundred miles (or more) to get a supply even though it costs 50 cents or a buck more...I had to replace the entire fuel system on a boat...that was enough for me....

I do use it in my daily driver when I have to but I don't have to very often...

I have a friend who says he used aircraft gas for seasonal motors...gets it at the airport ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just in case this helps anyone else, too:
In central California I can't find any race gas or off-road gas advertised at a station, except Sunoco SS100, which is leaded.

unleaded, no-ethanol, lowest octane and cheapest-
  • LINK vpracingfuels.com/product/c9/LINK - about $72/5ga plus shipping
  • LINK insingerperformance.com/sunoco-optima-non-ethanol-fuel/LINK - price unknown, but unlikely to be cheaper than VP
  • LINK sunocoracefuels.com/fuel/optimaLINK
  • VP is available at the track, but I'm not going out there any more. I'm sure I can get it through my local MC dealer.
Shelf life up to 3 years!
Don't expect any performance improvement with the race gas, except from using high-quality no-water fuel.

However-
I hear several helpful people saying just run the motor dry ( what I do now on my DRZ) and it will be OK. At the moment I ride so little that the race gas cost wouldn't be much over the year. If I rode a lot, it gets expensive at $12+ per gallon. The TW has a simple carb, which I could probably rebuild myself, or send out to Sudco, whereas my DRZ-E has a flatslide, which I couldn't redo myself. My TTR125 gummed up too, but took a lot longer to do so than the DRZ.

So I have satisfied my slightly OCD self about the possible gas problem, thank you very much, and happy riding.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I use a product called 2+4 made for BRP Evinrude. It is for all two and four stroke engines and is three products in one, fuel stabilizer / fuel system cleaner / ethanol treatment. When added to your fuel it will extend storage up to one year, clean your fuel system while you ride, and stops phasing of the fuel where the ethanol separates and sinks to the bottom of the tank when sitting for long periods. It is available at most marine shops and comes in three sizes. I have used this is all my small gas equipment and have never had a problem to date, but once added you must run the engine till your sure it has been pulled thru the carb before storing or you wont be protecting the carb. Working in a marine shop we saw all kinds of damage due to ethanol fuel being left in seasonal equipment and it caused many large repair bills. My TW is an '09 and I have never had the carb apart yet. Starts easy, runs smooth, and has enough power to pull both of us up some steep grade. I have heard some say additives are no good, but after wrenching equipment for years I can honestly say I would never run untreated gas in any small engine I own.

Reactions: Darth, Ken and Fred

·
Registered
366 Posts
i don't understand the ethanol problem. I have had numerous motorized vehicles in my lifetime - cars, motorcycles, ATV, boats, lawnmowers, tractors, chainsaw, etc and have NEVER had a problem with gasoline. I doubt that the gasoline here in Western Pa. is any different than the rest of the country. It's a mystery to me!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2+4 by Evinrude as recommended

available at Amazon and Walmart. Many good reviews on Amazon. Stands to reason boat people should have this problem in the extreme, though I didn't know boat gas had ethanol.
1 oz to 5 gallons it says

·
Registered
366 Posts
2+4 by Evinrude as recommended

available at Amazon and Walmart. Many good reviews on Amazon. Stands to reason boat people should have this problem in the extreme, though I didn't know boat gas had ethanol.
1 oz to 5 gallons it says
My boat has 2006 Evenrude 90 HP 2 stroke with electronic ignition. Sits all winter and starts right up in the spring. Regular unleaded gasoline and no problems.( I do bring the battery in for the winter.) As I previously stated, I have never experienced the "Ethanol Problem" in any vehicle. Am I the only one:confused:

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
3. Keep putting sea foam in your tank and drain your carb with the drain screw every time your done with it and you will never have a problem letting it sit up to a year. At least it works for me, usually over a year. Draining an otherwise clean carb has its merits.

Simple answer: NO

Avoidance? 1) Ride frequently to consume ethanol laced fuel before it ages excessively
2) Avoid ethanol laced fuels, especially when storing bike for some time. Research websites like TrueGas for ethanol free fuel vendors near you.TruFuel Performance Fuel | Pre-Mixed & Ethanol Free Fuel‎

Adwww.trufuel50.com/

Reactions: Donzo

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do a search online for ethanol-free gas stations in your area. All of my powersports machines and small engines get e-free 91 octane fuel. It’s more expensive but it gives me piece of mind and should avoid issues down the road.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts