TW200 Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have never experienced the Ethanol plague that is hot topic on many sites. I was taught to store mowers, motorcycles, boats & cars with tanks full to reduce condensation and if possible start them once a month until exhaust gets too hot to touch. Now I have rebuilt a few carbs that were funky but, I would lean more towards old fuel sitting too long and small pilot jets as the cause and not the ethanol.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well,
I'm in the crowd that also has had zero issues with todays, and yesteryears fuel. Five boats, four gas motorhomes, several trucks/Jeeps/cars and a zillion motorcycles over the last 30-40 years and, can honestly report, I've never had any fuel related issues. I think about potential fuel related issues in our present boat, a '14 25.5' Bennington Tri-hull with the Yamaha F-350 Four Stroke 350HP V-8 5.3L because, that boat may sit for as long as a couple months without being used. But, our previous boat here in Lake Havasu, was an '06 22.5' Kayot with the 5.7L Mercruiser 250HP in-out and it too would sit for a few months without running. But, go out and hook up the water for cooling and, turn the key and within about 5-10 seconds of cranking, that engine would fire right up. Take it down to the boat ramp, launch it and, I could idle it for as long as I wanted or, hit full throttle and it would zip to 49 mph without hesitation.

So, maybe it's the regular old gas station fuel blends here in Lake Havasu City AZ but, no issues here.
Scott

·
Registered
252 Posts
The obvious and best answer is to just run AV gas in the bike and small motors without cats and lambda sensors. The 2 stroke units wont be affected as much due to the oil mixed with the gas, but if it sits long your'e going to pick up problems.
The ethanol mixed with fuel originates with an oversupply that needs to be gotten rid of, some end up in booze the most gets mixed with gas and end up in engines. When I did a stint in the Air Force we had a chemical that we added to JET A-1 when there was algae growth in it. Then you add water to the mix and pump it between tanks, the water bonds with the algaecide and the you just purge it out of the system. If you can get some of that stuff it might be a viable option for stored E gas.
I had a little Toyota Corolla that I ran for about a year(20 000 km) on straight AV gas with no problems or mods at all. I got all the half drums and past "sell by" drums and had about 10 x 55 gal drums at my house at any given time. Man we did a lot of traveling then;);).

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wonder what if you added a little stabil would that prevent it? Or when you are two blocks from your house turn the fuel to "off" so by the time you park it the bowl is dry.

Another idea is to use aviation gas, it won't have any ethonal in it. It will cost more but you will get better mpgs and if it costs $4 a gallon thats not a big deal if you are getting 75 mpgs.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts