TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm currently looking for a TW200 or a TW225. (Yes im live in an asian country and we do have the 225 model).
But sellers here are asking ridiculous prices for that extra 25 cc..!

So my question,

Is it really worth that extra 25cc? My friends here tell there is no noticeable difference..!
But i would like to hear more opinions..!
So this is the best place to ask that kind of question i think..!

So guys pls help me out..! Will that extra 25cc really matter?

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Probably not much difference. Air flow is the power limiting factor on a TW200, more displacement won't make any more power, but will lower the torque and horsepower peaks if no other changes are made. Let the engine breath better to take advantage of more displacement. Tdub2 has 267cc, but the head is ported, 3-angle valve seats, 34mm EFI, cam with more lift and duration, and a less restrictive exhaust that clusters resonances and pressure wave effects closer to the torque peak. Result is a near stock torque curve than stock, than it climbs higher faster and does not fall off until 1500 rpm later. 267cc would probably stop pulling about 6000rpm if everything was left stock.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You must remind yourself, additional horsepower only shows itself when you are asking the maximum effort from a power plant. How much of the time is spent needing more power? What is the sacrifice if you don't have the power. Slower up the hill, or carry less weight, or 2-3 mph slower at top speed? It is all a balance of your requirements.
Mel

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Excellent answer Mel.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You must remind yourself, additional horsepower only shows itself when you are asking the maximum effort from a power plant. How much of the time is spent needing more power? What is the sacrifice if you don't have the power. Slower up the hill, or carry less weight, or 2-3 mph slower at top speed? It is all a balance of your
Mel
Good point...!
So here is my situation from a financial point of view ;)
A mint condition TW200 comes around $2500 (converted from Rs). And a TW 225 needs another $400-500 more..!
As of now am more convinced about the TW200.
As you pointed out i don't think i will need to push it to the limits.

After all its my 3rd bike..! :/

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
As of now am more convinced about the TW200.
As you pointed out i don't think i will need to push it to the limits. /
Being near sea level, I doubt you would really need the 225. If you lived in Nepal at 3,000 meters it might be different!:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tw200 :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Rocky,
Have you been to Nepal? Reason I asked is I am planning to go to Kathmandu for about 5 yrs or so and want to bring TW with me. Do you think at 1400 meters tw will lose some of it's oomph? As far as speed goes 55 mph is more than enough for Nepal. I do plan to take the bike and do the whole India tour as well and I don't think speed will be an issue there either.
Jon

·
Registered
20,493 Posts
Bigger is better attitude: $500 should always come back in higher re-sale value, wont depreciate as fast as more common 200cc.
Devil's Advocate: $500 buys alot of farkles, maintainance and repair, or food on table.
Bottom Line: Since in USA. we don't have TW225 we don't have experience with it, but drool for it none the less.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Hi Rocky,
Have you been to Nepal?
Jon
No, I'm merely extrapolating from Colorado!:p I re-jetted and put on a 55 tooth and it ran good to 13,000 ft. or 4100 meters, but it had marginal power on steep rocky stuff even in first gear. At 1400 meters you wouldn't even have to re-jet, no problem at all.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I expect a Nepal market bike would already have the good carb tune since Nepal does not have the EPA. I expect at 1400 meters the bike may run slightly rich.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Holey smokes Qwerty, EFI??? I seem to have missed something in all the reading I've done. Is there a build thread for your motor somewhere, new or old phorum? -- R.

Probably not much difference. Air flow is the power limiting factor on a TW200, more displacement won't make any more power, but will lower the torque and horsepower peaks if no other changes are made. Let the engine breath better to take advantage of more displacement. Tdub2 has 267cc, but the head is ported, 3-angle valve seats, 34mm EFI, cam with more lift and duration, and a less restrictive exhaust that clusters resonances and pressure wave effects closer to the torque peak. Result is a near stock torque curve than stock, than it climbs higher faster and does not fall off until 1500 rpm later. 267cc would probably stop pulling about 6000rpm if everything was left stock.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
We're going to have to twist his arm for info, he's holding out on us, big time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tdub2 has 267cc, but the head is ported, 3-angle valve seats, 34mm EFI, cam with more lift and duration, and a less restrictive exhaust that clusters resonances and pressure wave effects closer to the torque peak
Tdub2 ? Never heard of it..! :O

Anyway folks i'm gonna buy a 2006 Japanese TW200.
Round Headlights & Kick start are factory fitted :cool:

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Well, first there was Tdub, the original funmaker in my garage. Then there was Pdub, the pirate themed, blacked out, 203/204 tired errand runner that died under a big red tractor. Then there was Tdub2. Tdub is still around, with a new top end at 52xxx miles still runs fine. She does the errand running. I'm collecting parts to build Pdub2, going with a 267 this time.

EFI is a microsquirt unit. Nothing exotic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts