TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tw200 lined up to buy, they have dropped the price to $2750 canadian for me, it's a 2010 model with only 2000km on the clock, it seems in great shape for the age but the only problem is when I went to look at the bike they got it fired up, and then died, could repeat that a few times before we couldn't get it to start again. The bike has sat for a few years so I am worried something else could be wrong, any input on if it's a good deal of not would be great

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
Likely the carburetor simply has gummed up pilot or main jets, something fairly easy to fix. However you could exaggerate concern over the poor running condition as leverage to further reduce the asking price. " Gee Fellows,I don't know, a new carb will set me back a almost $400 Canadian" and see how the seller responds.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have a tw200 lined up to buy, they have dropped the price to $2750 canadian for me, it's a 2010 model with only 2000km on the clock, it seems in great shape for the age but the only problem is when I went to look at the bike they got it fired up, and then died, could repeat that a few times before we couldn't get it to start again. The bike has sat for a few years so I am worried something else could be wrong, any input on if it's a good deal of not would be great
My only speculation with no other information whatsoever, is that the carb is gunked up. It’ll prob need all new fluids and a really thorough carb cleaning at the least.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I suspect they will have a difficult time selling a bike that won't run especially in the winter.....I would guess a fluid flush... a fuel system cleaning.... and a tune up ….battery ….would run ???? say... $350 ...I would make them a insulting offer like $ 2150 and if they take it fine..if not...fine......always be willing to walk away....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's my thought, the old gas and oil can't be helping the thing run, ahahaha, I have already talked them down from 3900, which I thought was out to lunch for an old bike, but the more I can get off the better

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Last year I bought a 2015 with 792 kms for $3000. Some dealers in Quebec and I have seen them in Ontario new non currents for $4000. For that price I would contact dealers in NFLD and see if they have discounted non currents.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ok....I finally took the time to convert the Canadian Dollars into US...and find that $3000 Canadian is about $2230 US...now those prices make some sense to me... :rolleyes:

So your offer of $2750 is $2046 in real money......Just kidding....just kidding.... that would be a very good price in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
$2750 in nice condition and running perfect is not too bad a deal. $2250 Not running right is a better deal and not running right is pure leverage. Probably a very easy repair with a simple dumping of stale gas from the tank and a deep cleaning of the carb. Get the old fuel out of the tank first and foremost and inspect the inside for rust and crud before you do anything. If this is at a dealer I would not allow them to do the repair because they will do it only half way just to get it running and for sure there will be issues right down the road.

GaryL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here is an option to replace the carburetor with a new Chinese version, for $37 usd.

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/TW200-CARBURETOR-YAMAHA-2001-2017-TRAILWAY/dp/B07HNVKPM4/ref=sr_1_21?crid=U2HVA4MOO8V8&keywords=yamaha+tw200+carburetor&qid=1551960370&s=automotive&sprefix=Carburetor+For+YAMAHA+TW200%2Cautomotive%2C198&sr=1-21

You could still clean the original carb for good practice and have a spare. I have used replacement carbs on a couple of weed-whips and one snowblower, with good results.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Good price. If they are a shop I am surprised they do't just get it running right. Couple of other things to check. Sprockets and chain. That could cost you a bit. Battery? Altho I just replaced mine down here in the States and the cost was $45 US for an AGM. And tires, of course.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sounds like a good price. I'll bet if you siphon out the old fuel, replace with fresh regular and a solid dose of Seafoam - get the bike running for a while and let it soak over night and run again. Once you can ride it the fresh fuel/additive may dissolve any gumming and you would be good to go. You may need to pull carb but I've had success doing above.
Grab that puppy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts