TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have or have ridden both a TW200 and a new CRF250L..

I'm curious how they compare. I'm using to riding a TW200 through trails, up creeks, over rocky terrain ect.. I'm thinking of selling my street bike and buying a CRF250l and curious how well it would do compared to the TW.. Could i take it anywhere i take the TW? How would it be? I'm hoping some of you may have both and could shed some light!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I carefully considered and rode a CRF250L before deciding to build Tdub2. The Honda is typically Honda--a good value and no character. It is not as capable for sitting on and plodding along at smell-the-road-kill speeds as the stock TW. It is more capable on the highway and for faster riding but still not capable of race speeds, but I've never had any trouble keeping up with bigger bikes on a TW with a stock engine. Each requires a different set of riding skills to reach it's full potential. The Honda gets the nod when berms and air are involved, the TW absolutely rules when the coefficient of traction is approaching zero and there is nothing to bounce off of. All this assumes the TW is stock or close to it. Unless all the curves are bermed, Tdub2 will absolutely smoke a new CRF250L if the rider is up to it. More power, better brakes, better suspension, and twice the traction. CRFs ridden like the devil is after them can be kept up with on Tdub2 with the butt on the seat and feet on the pegs. Ridden hard, Tdub2 will corner inside a CRF on a berm on any but the slickest surfaces. Still, had I not had access to everything necessary to build Tdub2, I would have probably bought a CRF and been very happy with it.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I would like to ride a honda but it couldn't replace the TW. I participate in group rides on advrider and when I show up on the tw half the guys gimmie that wtf "serious look" like do you seriously think that turd will keep up what a clown. The tw really is a dream on gravel, twisty pavement, fire trails and really slow technical stuff.usually by lunch time 2- 3 guys will come up and ask me how I ride that thing that fast. I always say its the tires. Its always fun to pass big bikes on the tw. I think the honda is the best deal going bang for the $$

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome thanks for all the info. I think I will likely get the crf250 as my main bike and keep the tw for now. Not sure if I will ensure them both this season.. Prob hair the crf if u get it but should be good :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Two different animals for two different uses in my book. Can't really compare the two I don't think without defining and describing the use. I have a TW, KLX300, WR426, and a Rokon. Each is hands down better than the other three in their own element.

Once the element is described, various machines can be compared. Otherwise it is meaningless is my thoughts.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I carefully considered and rode a CRF250L before deciding to build Tdub2. More power, better brakes, better suspension, and twice the traction. CRFs ridden like the devil is after them can be kept up with on Tdub2 with the butt on the seat and feet on the pegs. Ridden hard, Tdub2 will corner inside a CRF on a berm on any but the slickest surfaces. Still, had I not had access to everything necessary to build Tdub2, I would have probably bought a CRF and been very happy with it.
not to hijack... but qwerty have you made a thread outlining your Tdub2 build?
thanks

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
No, and I don't intend to. The build was therapy while grieving the deaths of the two people most precious to me. There are no pictures as the purpose was to keep my hands busy so they wouldn't shoot myself. That said, almost all the necessary info is available on this forum. I started collecting parts for this build a few years ago. After the deaths I sat up a few nights and wrote an outline of all the mods I wanted, organized by systems with the relevant URLs, part numbers, and necessary mods. I bought a clean, low mile TW of a motorhome, a wrecked XT225, and a TT230R engine, disassembled and laid the parts out side-by-side on a couple tables, and started picking and choosing. The hard part was finding someone to rework the crank, but my son eventually stepped up and got it done at his tech school. While he was doing the critical tolerances, I fabbed the racks, extended the swingarm, built the airbox, wired the battery pack, etc. Once all the necessary parts were on hand, prepped, and painted, I built the entire bike start to finish in 5 days. In reality, it was a project that extended over 5-6 years that was originally intended for Tdub, but she is a little long in the tooth and I wanted to start with a fresh chassis.

Anywho, Tdub2 carries her tools and spares under the rack, inside the bag mounts, in 3 large tool tubes. She has a White Clarke tank and a rear rack that looks a lot like a CycleRack, but sits a few inches higher and has a black fuel tank under it. There are 3 red and 2 amber LED round taillights on the back of the rack, and a couple dozen of those 3/4-inch single LED semi trailer marker lights for side markers, turns, emergency flashers, etc., and she wears a custom mini fairing with an aluminum bar that goes from end to end of the handlebar, looks like hand guards on the end and a headlight bucket carrying 2 LED rectangular headlights, but it's really all one piece of hand-laid Kevlar and epoxy, painted white on the outside and spar varnish on the inside. The exhaust goes down under the right side of the engine and sweeps up like on the old SL100 Hondas, which provides room in the center frame triangles for a larger volume air box for the EFI and keeps exhaust heat away from the canoe bags that will eventually find their way onto the bag mounts that double as crash bars to protect the tool tubes in a spill. This is plenty of description for accurate identification at a glance, so if you're bopping around the Ozarks and see me, try to catch up and say hello.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
No, and I don't intend to. The build was therapy while grieving the deaths of the two people most precious to me. There are no pictures as the purpose was to keep my hands busy so they wouldn't shoot myself. That said, almost all the necessary info is available on this forum. I started collecting parts for this build a few years ago. After the deaths I sat up a few nights and wrote an outline of all the mods I wanted, organized by systems with the relevant URLs, part numbers, and necessary mods. I bought a clean, low mile TW of a motorhome, a wrecked XT225, and a TT230R engine, disassembled and laid the parts out side-by-side on a couple tables, and started picking and choosing. The hard part was finding someone to rework the crank, but my son eventually stepped up and got it done at his tech school. While he was doing the critical tolerances, I fabbed the racks, extended the swingarm, built the airbox, wired the battery pack, etc. Once all the necessary parts were on hand, prepped, and painted, I built the entire bike start to finish in 5 days. In reality, it was a project that extended over 5-6 years that was originally intended for Tdub, but she is a little long in the tooth and I wanted to start with a fresh chassis.

Anywho, Tdub2 carries her tools and spares under the rack, inside the bag mounts, in 3 large tool tubes. She has a White Clarke tank and a rear rack that looks a lot like a CycleRack, but sits a few inches higher and has a black fuel tank under it. There are 3 red and 2 amber LED round taillights on the back of the rack, and a couple dozen of those 3/4-inch single LED semi trailer marker lights for side markers, turns, emergency flashers, etc., and she wears a custom mini fairing with an aluminum bar that goes from end to end of the handlebar, looks like hand guards on the end and a headlight bucket carrying 2 LED rectangular headlights, but it's really all one piece of hand-laid Kevlar and epoxy, painted white on the outside and spar varnish on the inside. The exhaust goes down under the right side of the engine and sweeps up like on the old SL100 Hondas, which provides room in the center frame triangles for a larger volume air box for the EFI and keeps exhaust heat away from the canoe bags that will eventually find their way onto the bag mounts that double as crash bars to protect the tool tubes in a spill. This is plenty of description for accurate identification at a glance, so if you're bopping around the Ozarks and see me, try to catch up and say hello.
Do you have a photo{s} of the Bike as it looks now for us newer guys to this forum, or a link to said photo{s}?

·
Registered
78 Posts
as other have mention, i think they are very different. Than honda is not available in my country, but I want a mini tenere (250 model) to complement my bikes, (tw200, tenere 250, and klr 650) but the tw would stay! even do they sound the same, they are very different/

Damasovi

1 - 20 of 42 Posts