TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My girlfriend and I thought it might be fun to try and ride the Kancamangus highway on the TW's this fall. We have done it on the Ducati before which was fun and we figured the TW's could be even more fun. A few people thought we were crazy riding the TW's on this road, it does have some 9% grades that stretch 2 miles plus but that was no problem on the TW. Since its mostly 40mph we had no issues really with power.

For those that are not familiar with the Kanc its a scenic road in NH that goes from RT93 in Lincoln NH to Conway NH. Its a twisty road with a lot of corners and some fantastic views, especially this time of year. You can find some more information at this link Kancamagus Highway in NH: Welcome to the Kancamagus Scenic Byway!

I have ridden this road plenty of times in the past on faster bikes and its really fun. When i have ridden it on the Ducati it turns into a breaking the law session with speeds well in excess of the limit on this road. The TW made it a totally different experience and in a lot of ways better. We got the take in the great views and really just enjoy the road at a nice reasonable pace. If anyone in the NE area hasn't ridden this road on your TW i encourage you to do it. Its worth it.

We began our journey in east conway where we trailered the bikes to. We were able to park the truck at a public parking area right next to the police station and just up the road from Whitehorse Gear which is a pretty neat small motorcycle gear shop. With clearance from the police to park there we unloaded and were on out way. We left early in the morning and were on the Kanc by 8:30 which really helped beat the traffic. Because we were headed to the Fryburg fair in Maine that afternoon we didn't have time to do the entire road but we did do about 3/4ths of before we headed back. It was a great morning ride and we both really enjoyed it. We stopped at some of the lookout areas and took in the scenery. We plan to do it again, possibly soon and will ride the entire thing next time.

Here are some pics from our stops at the lookout points.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Excellent ride report. You are very lucky to have a woman who shares your love of cycling. Beautiful scenery you have there. Very similar to upstate NY where I live. Thank you for sharing.

Tom

·
Registered
166 Posts
Driven that road in fall quite a few times but never on two wheels. I am now inspired to do it on the TW.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Beautiful countryside! It's strange how these slow little thumpers can make for some of THE MOST enjoyable rides. Thanks for sharing...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks for sharing and you couldn't be more right! I'm in Renfrew, PA right now, and today I'm going to head out at lunch and try to video a particular winding road that is TW paradise! And the fall colors here or awesome!

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Oooh aaah, very pretty. Thanks for contributing this very scenic area.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hey jb, I'm in Moultonborough, NH, (if you went through Center Harbor on your way north, you were about 4 miles from us) about 45 minutes south of the Kanc. Have ridden it several times. We'd love to have you and yours stop by anytime between July 1 and November 1. Send me a pm if you'd like my address and phone number.

Will

1 - 8 of 8 Posts