TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The TW204 is a more street type tread, yes? Any issue running these together?

My front tire just failed state inspection and I had planned on going to a more street oriented tire anyways. But the rear has plenty of tread left so should last a wheel longer.

Issues running a more street type up front and knobby on the rear?

Also, I know there are other brands and am reading the posts, so no need to repost all that info here.

THX

Jay

·
Registered
908 Posts
Here is an idea: 1) Replace the front with the "street" tire. 2) Ride TW. How does it feel? 3) Replace rear tire if necessary.

IMO I don't see why the tread on the rear would affect the handling of the front. However, you'll never know until ya try it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THX!! Kind of what I planned. Will do and report back.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
D'oh! TW203 is front, right? 204 is rear. Need to order the correct one!

·
Super Moderator
4,727 Posts
I recently tried a knobbly on the rear, and the street tire on the front - the two tires "bite" the road very differently.

I now have two knobblies on the bike - and a street tire with less than 5 miles on it for sale ...........

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Different how? Was the knobby "slippy" on the road?

My plan is 90% road, and maybe a fire road or dirt road but no single track or technical stuff. You prob. won't see me at Moab any time soon!

·
Super Moderator
4,727 Posts
Quite the opposite – the knobbly rear stuck like glue, whereas the road front tended “drift”

Now, this would have been fine if I’d had a road tire on the back as well – but as it was, the different characteristics of each type of tire ended up “fighting” each other.

It wasn’t a situation of my making to begin with, and like you, I figured I’d suck it and see as it was already on there – big mistake ………..

You can find the thread here http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/14614-thing-handles-like.html

And yes – it really did handle like a ……………

·
Registered
908 Posts
Thanx Purple. I will remember your recommendation.

I never have ridden a TW with "street" tires. I don't want to spend the $ to see how it feels. Plus, getting someone to mount and balance new tires just for a test is a MAJOR hassle.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I recently tried a knobbly on the rear, and the street tire on the front - the two tires "bite" the road very differently.

I now have two knobblies on the bike - and a street tire with less than 5 miles on it for sale ...........
I wonder if you just hadn't scuffed it in yet? Mold release will make a new tire pretty slippery for about 50 or so miles. Knobbies seem to scuff in faster. I assume due to less surface area in contact with road. A little off road also seems to break them in quickly. With the limited weight and power of the TW i don't really feel much "knobby Crawl" in corners. They do "howl" nicely at higher speeds. With all that said I lost a tire on my GS in Twin falls Idaho and couldn't find a matching duel spot tire. Ended up putting a Battleax street tire on the back. Got me home but handled terrible. Felt like my frame was winding up and releasing over and over again on every corner.
So I would buy something that matches.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What size am I looking for for the front? I know 130/80-18 but how does that equate to an inch measurement? Is 5.10-18 closest?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am going to re-read the tire thread I found somewhere too...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, Shinko 244 it is. Ordered from Procycle. Yay!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
That is what I'm running, stock rear & Shinko 244 5.10 front and I couldn't be happier. They stick like poop to fur on pavement, and once I was reminded about lowering the air pressure on gravel/dirt roads (thanks Dryden-Tdub), they handle great there too. They may be noisy, but between the wind & the bike itself, I'll never be able to tell.

Hope you are as happy with yours!

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
How low do you go on gravel & dirt roads?
You're gonna have to experiment for your riding style, but as a base, I would start here: If you plan to ride both pavement & gravel/dirt on the same ride, start at approximately 16 psi and up. If you're gonna be riding almost entirely on gravel/dirt, a good starting point may be 12-14 psi and up. I've also ridden short distances on pavement with tire psi as low as 10 psi with no ill effect, but only for short stretches.

I ride off pavement almost entirely between 10-12 psi, but again this is gonna depend on what you learn to feel comfortable with and type of road surfaces.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I started packing a pump with me so I could experiment. So far all the gravel/dirt roads I've been on have been fairly well maintained, so I found 12 lbs to be perfect for me. I haven't actually been 'off road' yet, so I don't know what that would require.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I recently got a Shinko SR428 Trial tire, still have the knobby original on the rear, and it rides fine, much quieter and less vibration on the road.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is a picture of the wear on my tire. The center knobs look like little ramps - higher in front than in back. What would cause this?

20150528_172615.jpg

1 - 20 of 28 Posts