TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all it's been a while since I posted any info on the TW225 Big Bore Extension shafts and there has been greatly renewed interest lately probably due to all the great big bore engine swap write ups here on the forum!

I have plenty of these available and the current price is $259 delivered in the USA $279 for Canada

All kits are 100% lifetime guaranteed as long as I am breathing if your shaft fails or breaks for any reason during the life of you or your bike I'll replace it on my nickel shipped free to you all I might ask is to see your original shaft to study any failures

I've never seen a failure I believe these are 100% bombproof they were made by a major machine shop specializing in drag racing parts and they designed and built the electric starter with reverse that Harley Davidson uses on their trikes

You will receive the extension shaft and a sealed out board bearing as well as 6 allen head set screws that aren't really necessary because the shaft is fully captured once installed

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
This is an unsolicited endorsement for these shaft entenders from Placerlode. I have done two of these TW225 6-speed conversions. The first was using a modified TW200 output shaft which required a complete engine teardown and rebuild. The second was using one of these exquisite shaft extenders which required nothing more than swapping the outboard bearing in the TW left side side cover, and bolting the shaft extender onto the stock XT225 or TTR225 output shaft. Incredibly easy!

IMG_1143.JPG

IMG_1142.JPG
IMG_1144.JPG
IMG_1145.JPG
IMG_1146.JPG
IMG_1147.JPG

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Since my bike is getting high in miles these extension shafts are starting to look tempting. If I had the bucks I would just get the bike from the member near me in Austin who already modded the whole bike, engine, suspension and nearly every other desirable mod on a TW. He is asking a good price but it is above my budget.

·
Registered
20,400 Posts
(y)Sure like what mine has done to expand the performance of the TW since the TTR motor transplant addresses the common wish list for a larger engine displacement and a sixth gear.
With the TTR's greater torque and lower first gear I have a better stump puller yet taller sixth gear than the stock motor.
PlacerLode's extension shaft has been trouble free for dozens of creepy-crawly off-road rides yet permits the speed in the top gears to propel me comfortably over more than a few 9 to 11 thousand foot mountain passes.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fred I'm curious how many miles you have ridden on your Big Bore now I know you are a prolific rider as TW riders go !

I pose the same question to TWBrian but as I recall you said the motor you used was in need of some freshening up so I'm not sure if it has been a long distance rider yet

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to mention quantity discounts starting at two or more Big Bore Extension kits so even if you start with one and later decide on more just remind me you are a return buyer and I'll discount any additional purchases no matter how long it has been - Also if you want to buddy up with a fellow forum member and do your conversions starting at the same time ie purchase of two or more kits at the same time I'll offer the bulk rate to all parties and still mail to each individual address

·
Registered
20,400 Posts
I believe my big bore conversion has a bit over two thousand miles on it with perhaps 200 miles of it on pavement mostly in 5th & 6th gear bombing over Sierra mountain passes like Carson, Ebbetts & Sonora Passes. Fe
I ride it so much I have a hard time setting it aside for anything like freshening the top and dealing with leaky case half gaskets. Other than adjusting valves and keeping carb, oil & filters clean it sits patiently in the garage ready for the next ride. So it weeps a tiny bit of oil , never enough to spot the floor but enough that I don't have to worry about case screws rusting. On start up it can smoke ever so slightly likely from film of oil draining past valve guide seals.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I want one of these but I don't have an engine source or really need another project.
I'll be sorry once they are gone. Hopefully I'll decide to get one before that.
Very nice quality machine work!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all those who expressed interest over the weekend all of the orders have been dropped off at the post office in central Arizona and will be on their way Tuesday morning

Thanks again and Happy Memorial Day to all US and Allied Veterans

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like to search for TTR's they are usually priced lower than XT225's and seem to be more common, Craigslist is my number one go to place to search but I hear of deals from fakebook etc I don't seem to find much there myself

·
Registered
24 Posts
Craigslist is completely dead around here. I had to create a fake name Facebook account just to continue to be able to buy stuff!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CL is a hunt it's not a grocery store so it does take persistence and effort and I rarely find scores in my home city I often travel several hundred miles to fetch killer deals

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just received my TW225 extension shaft kit and the part looks great!
Being a machinist I'm rather picky when it comes to new, used or aftermarket machined parts.
The design and machining were done by someone who knows what they were doing and executed the design with skill.
Thanks Fred!

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
I just received another one of these little gems from Placerlode.

I don't even have a donor XT/TTR225 bike or engine for it yet, but I wanted to be ready just in case I am able to come across one. These really make it easy to do one of the best performance increasing mods possible for our TW's - an extra 25cc's in a longer stroke engine with a 6-speed gearbox and a 6-plate clutch!

Winner, winner - chicken dinner!

Enjoy the upcoming 4th of July holiday weekend,

Brian

1 - 20 of 26 Posts