TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this group has been a ton of help to me during the research for my tw project so i figured id share some of its details and a few pics. im a novice at bike mods but i have enjoyed this project for the most part. i originally bought this '90 tw three years ago with no title for $80 with intentions of making it a beater for some family property outside of town. i got it running just enough to hear that the engine was hurt, which i half way expected anyways. while researching rebuild kits and such, i discovered that guys had been running 225's and it kind of spiraled from there. i ended up buying a beat up 02 ttr225 with ignition issues for $450, got it running using the tw ignition system, and started swapping everything. its hard to sum up 3 yrs worth of poking in a paragraph, but ill give a highlight reel. i was able to get a bonded title early this year and was able to get the bike licensed and insured with it so ive been riding the crap out of it for the past week and have probably put 100 miles on it on the street. i also took it on its maiden off-road voyage this past weekend and had an absolute blast with it. as with any good project, its not done but it does function and it gets a lot of attention around town haha. thanks for all of the great posts that allowed me to cobble this thing together!
1990 tw200 chassis
2002 ttr225 engine, air box, carb, exhaust, and 6 spd; 15/55 sprockets
modded tw output shaft
tw ignition system and side covers
starter and battery delete (freeze plug in place of starter, capacitor in place of battery)
bw triple tree
tw rear wheel and axle up front
duro 26x8 front and rear
ttr forks, front disc setup, and half of the front hub
cyclerack
junkyard subaru fog lights
junkyard f450 recovery hook
front fender cut from a 50 gal drum

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Too cool, SRT...great job!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Great job. I can see lots of engineering went in to that front-end. Now for the back....From the looks of the mud on the seat, you need to use some more of that drum to make a rear fender too. Also, why do people keep taking these TWs into mud. Apparently they never make it through. That is just an observation from all the pictures I see on here of Tdubs stuck in the mud. :laughing5:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Perhaps he just stepped off to admire his work. Not sure he is stuck.

A FANTABULOUS job, SRTeric. A T-Dub on STEROIDS!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
for those of you with actual machining tools and skills; prepare to be disgusted haha. i made the ttr disc work but it aint pretty. basically, i had the bw triple machined out an additional 3mm to fit the ttr forks (36mm compared to our 33mm tw forks) then i hogged the axle holes on the ttr forks to accept the tw rear axle. i then centered the wheel between the forks and measured the distance between the flat mating surface on the wheel where the drum had been and the center of the caliper where the rotor would need to ride. that distance was the length of 'adapter' that id need to mate the rotor to the wheel. i knew the rotor needed to be dang near perfectly mounted in all 3 dimensions to prevent issues and with no machining tools or experience, i figured the best way to make that happen was to use the tttr hub, or at least some of it haha. i have a brake lathe for drums, rotors, and flywheels and the ttr hub would just barely chuck up in it so i used it and a hacksaw blade to carefully 'machine' the ttr hub into 2 pieces. it actually went pretty well so i measured hub ID and tw axle OD and ordered some of the appropriate bearings. once they came in, i installed them and assembled the front end. my measurements had been good and the rotor was centered in the caliper but i still needed to attach hub to hub. heres where its a touch sketchy. 6 m6 bolts held the rotor to the ttr hub. i drilled the holes out for grade 10.9 m8 bolts, flattened out the backsides of the bolt holes on the hub to create flat bosses, and cut down 1/4" steel pipe into pieces the same length as the depth between my new flat bosses and the flat tw hub. i slapped it together and it works pretty good. i may tear it back down this winter and add some sort of bracing between the pipe pieces for peace of mind but it works pretty good. even if it managed to shear the bolts, the ttr rotor and hub cant go anywhere because of the added bearings. it is much more effective and less dangerous than the tw rear drum that i had been running.

the bike handles more heavily than the other tw's that ive had but its to be expected. the worst of it is leaning into turns at speed on pavement. it really wants to stand up so i have to give it a little body english to lean it over. im currently running about 20 psi front and rear and hadnt paid any attention that most of the guys i rode with this weekend were running around 5 psi in their atv tires. i need to play with tire pressures and see how it affects handling both on and off pavement. i should have dropped pressure on our trail ride; it rode like a log wagon and i kicked the rear tire once pretty hard and it didnt give at all.

this is my 3rd tw and ive never had one that would willingly spin the tire in gravel and loose turf without leaning forward a bit and letting it eat. this 225 feels like it has a fair amount more torque and if theres anything loose under the rear tire, itll break it loose if i crack the throttle in second. second gear rooster tails were a very common thing in mud on our trail ride and the buddy that usually followed me didnt take long to learn to fall back a bit if i came into some mud haha. it would throw mud a good 10' or so without making it scream. since i got the ttr bought so cheap and robbed the entire engine, trans, intake, and exhaust from it, the swap was definitely worth it. if a guy had to give good money for a running bike to bust apart or had to piece everything together, im not sure the math would be there but the fun factor of this thing is off the chart.

yes, i was bogged but not in mud haha. we were in a creek bed and someone a few bikes ahead got hung up in some form of quicksand. i turned around on the opposite side of the creek and cut back across it but had no momentum and i was apparently on a bottomless wet sandbar with some gravel. she started sinking so i let it eat and ended up sitting there haha. another dude came over and pulled up on the rack a bit and it walked right out. it did surprisingly well in mud.

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
SRTeric = "intended for or likely to be understood by only a small number of people with a specialized knowledge or interest."

Nice handle....nicer big wheel bike!

The Duro's relatively square profile makes them a little more difficult to initiate a turn. I found transitioning onto the sidewall was a learning experience. I since have gone to a TerraCross ATV tire with a much more rounded profile.
Neither has ever left me stranded in mud although snow will stop them both with increasing depth or steepness of terrain.
Impressive build...now where is that tow hook?

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
The idea of tying together those 6 bolts on the front hub assembly before strong braking potentially mis-aligns them makes sense. A 2" wide or so circumferential steel strip welded to the 6 pipes might do the trick.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i said tow hook but should have said tow loop. i put one below the headlight but honestly dont care for how it looks or how i think it would perform since it points upwards so much. it will be replaced shortly with a dangling loop of chain. i mounted the other loop to the axle on the right side of the swing arm. i ended up removing a bit more material from around the unused bolt hole than what is shown in the pics so that a looped strap can be slipped over it. its pretty stout and should also work well if i need to drag a log or something similar around.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'm impressed with your machining and stick toitiveness but you can save yourself a $#!+ ton of work and hours and money by simply bolting up the entire front end from a tri z 250 three wheeler. Then you get the disc brake the atv tire and like 5 more inches of fork travel with much less monkeying around. I wish I had the 225 and 6 speed though. There is no easy way to get that. Well done.

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thats a good option for next time haha. if i hadnt wanted to keep the kick starter, the 225 swap would have been cake. at least one guy (maybe more now) makes an output shaft adapter so that you dont have to split the case to mod or swap the oe tw output shaft. unfortunately, the ttr output shaft isnt machined for the kicker so i was better off to go ahead and mod and swap my tw shaft. apparently, some xt's have the shaft machined for the kicker from the factory but xt's bring good money around here and i wasnt prepared to spend good money just to bust apart a perfectly good bike. my $450 ttr was the key to the kingdom.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts