TW200 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
Don't think the adapter will accept my Dual Front Sprocket that goes along with the dual rear sprocket. Would miss the 13x55 to 15x50 flexibilty it affords.

6-Speeder 226 will just have to go into Betty Boop.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Don't think the adapter will accept my Dual Front Sprocket that goes along with the dual rear sprocket. Would miss the 13x55 to 15x50 flexibilty it affords.

no reason to ever run such a monstrosity all gear ratios can easily be achieved with front sprocket changes and a 50 tooth rear 11 to 16 front covers all practical ratios and uses the OEM chain length so no screwing with chain links

besides Fred I don't recall you being on the want list for these anyway

we test fit 2 PBI sprockets 12 & 13 tooth and had .25" in between once clip was in place but please nobody should ever do this

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
Sure, I want one, I was one of the first to express an interest.
By the way, changing from 13x55 to 15x50 final drive gearing with the dual front and dual rear sprockets only requires loosening the rear axle, getting a little chain slack with the adjustment snails and then lifting chain from one pair of sprockets to the other pair. Chain and sprockets stay nicely in line in both configurations.
A quick removal of a bit of chain slack, tighten the axle and off I go with just a greasy finger if I can't find a stick to lift the chain.
No messing with the master link nor additional links of chain was the goal Gerry that had successfully designed for the Mr.Gizmo bike.
However I still want to shoehorn the TTR 6-speed into one of my TWs and this is most easily done with the countershaft extension. Will go into Betty Boop's frame.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Sure, I want one, I was one of the first to express an interest.
By the way, changing from 13x55 to 15x50 final drive gearing with the dual front and dual rear sprockets only requires loosening the rear axle, getting a little chain slack with the adjustment snails and then lifting chain from one pair of sprockets to the other pair. Chain and sprockets stay nicely in line in both configurations.
A quick removal of a bit of chain slack, tighten the axle and off I go with just a greasy finger if I can't find a stick to lift the chain.
No messing with the master link nor additional links of chain was the goal Gerry that had successfully designed for the Mr.Gizmo bike.
However I still want to shoehorn the TTR 6-speed into one of my TWs and this is most easily done with the countershaft extension. Will go into Betty Boop's frame.
oh ok I missed that I guess dual front sprockets would be better than dual rear IMO I think theres still room on the new shaft

we were test fitting the splines and clip groove and we had 2 sprockets in a package so we just slipped them both on and we test fit the outboard bearing support as well and so far everything was dead on

·
Registered
5,937 Posts

Hey Fred (not you, PlacerLode :D, the other Fred),

If you were able to reverse your double front sprocket on the stock output shaft, I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to do the same with one of the proposed shaft extensions.

When Gerry made mine, I requested that he make it with the smaller sprocket on the inboard side as shown below. I believe that yours is the opposite of this, correct?

You will also note on mine, that Gerry removed the splines from the smaller (inboard) sprocket. This may preclude me from flipping mine over like you did yours, would you agree? Are both of your sprockets still splined? Does yours use the same mounting method as mine - a shaft collar on the inboard side and an E-clip on the outboard side?

Brian

·
Registered
20,149 Posts
Hi Brian.
Indeed Gerry built the one I have with the smaller splined 13 tooth to the outboard, the reverse of yours.I was able to pull the 13-tooth sprocket off of the pins protruding from the bored out 15 tooth sprocket and flip it 180 degrees and press fit it back onto the pins. This reflects well on the precision achieved by Gerry in his small workshop.
There was actually negligible wear on the sprocket after a thousand or two miles. Notice the different tooth profiles on your two sprockets? Something necessitated by chain having to flex over the small diameter of 13 tooth or just a different interpretation from sererate manufacturers ?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have two different 225 donors, so i am definitely in for one and probably 2 of these. I'll probably just rebuild both at some point and sell one or keep it and find another old junker TW to drop it in, lol. Not sure yet :p

I was driving to the parents house yesterday and just kept looking for that 6th gear, thinking man just a little bit more on the top and i would be set for life, lol. Not to mention more on the lower end as well.

Cant wait :D

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Add me to the interested list..... Likely for 2. If I buy one I am sure my brother will NEED 1 for his too.
No problem on all orders in line we will fill all requests by Halloween 2018

machines are ready to start cutting this week just waiting for the 4340 steel dowel to arrive and start feeding the production line

New units will have a nice black oxide finish instead of bare steel like the pilot run

Now I just need to find a good 225 motor to take in and get the 250 hotrod build done in time fir MOAB 2019

·
Registered
816 Posts
Not sure if this is helpful but I find with the higher compression 225 and the 6 speed I go anywhere and everywhere I want to. From trails so steep I can’t hardly walk up to multi hour highway portages. I’m not claiming that at 60 I don’t have a screaming motor, but I’ve done it lots and lots. 15000 on the build and still strong.

If anyone is close enough and wants to try it before they start wrenching the bike is always available.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Not sure if this is helpful but I find with the higher compression 225 and the 6 speed I go anywhere and everywhere I want to. From trails so steep I can’t hardly walk up to multi hour highway portages. I’m not claiming that at 60 I don’t have a screaming motor, but I’ve done it lots and lots. 15000 on the build and still strong.

If anyone is close enough and wants to try it before they start wrenching the bike is always available.
Hay Vanilla was yours a 225 or a 250 ?

Thanks

·
Registered
816 Posts
Currently 225. New build on the bench is a 250

·
Registered
746 Posts
I'm interested in an adapter, though there seems to be a dearth of 225 engines available atm.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Mid October is still the best ETA if things change rest assured I'll notify ASAP ad send out replies to all those who expressed interest

I'm ready for mine as well lol !!!

Thanks for the interest

41 - 60 of 231 Posts