TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Two of my neighbors were interested in my TW 200 but were concerned about the 55mph top speed....so they bought the 225 and still regret it ...they really are different bikes on the backroads...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Different from what?
??? From each other....I have never ridden one, but neither of these owners/riders had done much riding on the dirt/mud/snow.....according to them, the 225 was fine on smooth stable surfaces, but more difficult to ride than the 200 on loose and rutted surfaces.....I usually have two or more 200s so if one was available they would ride it rather than their 225s....might have something to do with the big tires and lower seat height....

·
Super Moderator
4,738 Posts
I have both bikes– and other than the road tires, found the difference was insignificant other than the Serrow engine

Same seat height as the 225 – so what bike are you talking about ? - the TW225 has the same frame - same wheels .....

·
Super Moderator
4,738 Posts

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
It probably looked like I didn't know what I was talking about.....and the reason for that is that....I didn't know what I was talking about.....I didn't even know there was a TW 225.....there were just the two Yamaha dual sports at that time....my bad
No worries, the TW225 was only available in Japan and had some nice options and color schemes that were never offered in the U.S.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
No worries, the TW225 was only available in Japan and had some nice options and color schemes that were never offered in the U.S.
What were the options, Brian?
Sometimes a returning U.S serviceman will bring a home-market only model home and sell it later.
I'd like to find one...6-speed?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I rode with 2 friends in the PB500 that both had '06 xt225's.
They can do everything the TW200's can do. They are lighter by I think 30lbs, I have ridden them only on the street but watching them in the woods I'm impressed by what seems like a too skinny tire. Riders ability of course comes into play as well.

I do think I'm more comfortable on the fat little TW with the wide tire. But that may just be the Seat Concepts seat?

IMG_8857.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
What were the options, Brian?
Sometimes a returning U.S serviceman will bring a home-market only model home and sell it later.
I'd like to find one...6-speed?
I do not claim to be any kind of expert on the Japanese domestic market TW225's, but here are a few of the differences that I am aware of:

-An extra 25cc's
-Round front headlight
-Front disc brake and a kickstarter
-Lighter(?), Aluminum(?) rear hub
-More streamlined rear fender and different muffler
-More modern gauges and turn signals
-Cooler color schemes and graphics (in my opinion, at least)
-Sorry, but no 6th gear or fuel injection that I am aware of

Maybe Purple can confirm and/or add to the above list?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Thanks Brian...cool little bike!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, that's too bad. I had always hoped we'd get the updated TW225 here. Yup, i started this forum, but it got too big for me to maintain on my own. Russian and Ukrainian hackers were taking the site down 2-3 times a month, just because they could. Sold the forum to a company that could properly manage and maintain it, because I just couldn't spend the time on it anymore.

Charles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm an TW Noob here but I wonder if Yamaha will update the TW at some point like they did with the XT250. Maybe fuel injection, or maybe (While I'm dreaming) with an XT250 engine in it. Seems like a really popular bike. Oh and Hello Charles....I see u over on ADVrider all the time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a new XT-200 back in the Long, Long Ago and more than any other bike, I was it's master. It was the bike I really learned to ride on. I went to Big Bend with a bunch of experienced riders who swore they'd go slow and smell the roses. Yeah, right! After a week of riding in the desert trying to keep up with them, I found myself keeping up with them. By the end of the week, I was riding my metallic steed like the wind through the desert and it seemed to obey my every command. Yep, the XT-200 was my teacher and I learned a lot from it. By the way, I'm planning on being at Moab in the Spring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts