1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
nice!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
The CB500X is a natural stable-mate to the TW200.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
What level Rally Raid is your bike?
I have an original Level 1 suspension kit with 17" Bartubeless spoke wheels with TKC80s, bash kit, short levers, foot pegs, and R&G radiator protector. At 5' 5", I just don't have the inseam to go with the 19". I can barely tip-toe it as it is. If you have the height for it, then I would recommend the 19". It will just add that much more capability. The photo is on the White Rim Trail in Moab as some proof that I can take this thing nearly anywhere any other ADV bike will go.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an original Level 1 suspension kit with 17" Bartubeless spoke wheels with TKC80s, bash kit, short levers, foot pegs, and R&G radiator protector. At 5' 5", I just don't have the inseam to go with the 19". I can barely tip-toe it as it is. If you have the height for it, then I would recommend the 19". It will just add that much more capability. The photo is on the White Rim Trail in Moab as some proof that I can take this thing nearly anywhere any other ADV bike will go.
Would you say the level 1 suspension upgrade was worth the money? I like the current height of the seat now BUT I got into the skid plate a bit today going over some baby heads that had been poorly dumped to deal with a few road washouts.

Tom

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Accompanied Bananchunks when he rode Moab's White Rim on his Level 2 CB500X . What is an easy ride on the TW looked a bit more challenging for the Honda when slow speed nimbleness and a tight turning circle become important.
His CBX has been on numerous TW group rides as George gradually improves the bike with more goodies. Nice to ride accompanied by different bikes. George let me ride the Honda for just a few miles, impressive but so different in feel. Parking and turning it around took a bit more planning than the simple TW.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Accompanied Bananchunks when he rode Moab's White Rim on his Level 2 CB500X . What is an easy ride on the TW looked a bit more challenging for the Honda when slow speed nimbleness and a tight turning circle become important.
His CBX has been on numerous TW group rides as George gradually improves the bike with more goodies. Nice to ride accompanied by different bikes. George let me ride the Honda for just a few miles, impressive but so different in feel. Parking and turning it around took a bit more planning than the simple TW.
EXACTLY!
This is the same scenario and experience I have with my new bike, an '18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT. Jumping on that A/T and riding on pavement to some forest roads and gravel roads it a phenomenal pleasure. But, once I get into just about ANYTHING that is the least bit twisty-turvy or, rut infested, or, rocky, and or uneven trail type stuff, nope, it ain't happening on that 540 lb. girl. THAT'S when I wish I had the TW. But, unfortunately, I can only carry one or the other on the back of the motorhome.
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
EXACTLY!
This is the same scenario and experience I have with my new bike, an '18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sport DCT. Jumping on that A/T and riding on pavement to some forest roads and gravel roads it a phenomenal pleasure. But, once I get into just about ANYTHING that is the least bit twisty-turvy or, rut infested, or, rocky, and or uneven trail type stuff, nope, it ain't happening on that 540 lb. girl. THAT'S when I wish I had the TW. But, unfortunately, I can only carry one or the other on the back of the motorhome.
Scott
The difference is the 500X is over 100lbs lighter than the AT. I love the AT but I can only bring one bike camping with us.

Tom

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Bananachunks has taken that Honda CBX in and out of some very impressive terrain, stuff that was no cake-walk for me on the TW. In the right hands and the right terrain a very capable machine.
Sure, it doesn't like rocks that stick up high. Yet what it does do well is true adventure trips. Like haul George and all his gear from San Francisco some 900 + miles to Moab and back for a week's worth of fun on the slickrock. This was for the last annual TW gathering of the clan. Moab regionally has so much riding variety that an CBX or African Twin does not run out of excellent riding destinations.
Bananachunks made good time, we unintentionally leap-frogged each other a few times with me in a van pulling trailer with 2 TWs at a good clip in air-conditioned comfort while he pounded out the miles down HWY 50, "The Lonliest Highway". We actually ended overnighting in the same mid-point campsite. He was, and is, totally self contained on his trips ( Unless Sue of the SanDue Duo feeds him).

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bananachunks has taken that Honda CBX in and out of some very impressive terrain, stuff that was no cake-walk for me on the TW. In the right hands and the right terrain a very capable machine.
Sure, it doesn't like rocks that stick up high. Yet what it does do well is true adventure trips. Like haul George and all his gear from San Francisco some 900 + miles to Moab and back for a week's worth of fun on the slickrock. This was for the last annual TW gathering of the clan. Moab regionally has so much riding variety that an CBX or African Twin does not run out of excellent riding destinations.
Bananachunks made good time, we unintentionally leap-frogged each other a few times with me in a van pulling trailer with 2 TWs at a good clip in air-conditioned comfort while he pounded out the miles down HWY 50, "The Lonliest Highway". We actually ended overnighting in the same mid-point campsite. He was, and is, totally self contained on his trips ( Unless Sue of the SanDue Duo feeds him).
The situation you described is why I chose the 500X. I already have some nice luggage for it I just need to decide "how off-road capable" I really need it to be. It seems to handle the seasonal roads and the occasional abandoned roads just fine. I just need to slow down and pick my lines carefully. I'm gonna run the cast wheels till I bust them then go spoked tubeless. Decisions. Decisions.

Tom

Reactions: jbfla

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I kitted out an FJ-09 similarly with tkc 80s and a skid plate. it was never a trail bike though. great on mining roads, two track and gravel. Awesome sport touring machine in the dirt.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Would you say the level 1 suspension upgrade was worth the money? I like the current height of the seat now BUT I got into the skid plate a bit today going over some baby heads that had been poorly dumped to deal with a few road washouts.

Tom
I have often compared the TW and the CB, both budget bikes with budget parts. Suspension on both is similar, and should be upgraded. I got a good deal on the RR Level 1, so I do feel like it was worth it. There are other options, spoken about ad nauseam on the X forum and AdvRider. Gold valve cartridge emulators and rear shock swaps, for example. RR did the work and put together a kit, so I chose to support them.

Reactions: Dryden-Tdub

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I think most of the moto rider world will ALWAYS seek out that unicorn bike. I don't believe that one bike would ever fit all of my desires. I added the CBX to the stable along with the TW. The dub handles the rougher trail work and slow speed needs. The CB adds the ability to travel at high speeds while showing some TW character to get off-road to explore or BDR. When your buddies show up with an Africa Twin, GS or other big bike, you want to be playing in the same game. Bringing the 13-55 geared TW in that situation certainly would not be. My height, body type, brain and riding (in)abilities, oh and $$, prevent me from utilizing one of those. Reasons are the same why I ride a TW instead of a Beta 390. For what they are, the TW and the CBX do a valiant job taking me to amazing places.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Larry, You had a 500F didn't you? ...that you were transforming into an "X".

I'm in the same spot with my 500F. What was your reasoning to change to a real "X"?

Thanks
jb

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
JB, the answer is geometry. I fell for the "new" CB lineup when it came out in model year 2013. I first got a CB500F as a street bike. Hoping it could fill the bill of a lightweight ADV bike, I purchased the RR level 1 and other goodies.

While I was able to join some ADV rides on it, the F's geometry is not suited to off-road riding the way the X is, so I was not entirely comfortable, and my riding struggled. The forward lean, the pegs are a little higher and further back, and the rake and trail are different than the X.

I picked up the used X for a decent price, and I swapped all of the RR goodies to it in an afternoon.

The F isn't worth much in the used market, so with street tires back on, it serves a commuting role. The TW and the X live in the trailer, ready for adventure.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts