TW200 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I chose the F because it fit me better....30" inseam.

Put on the handlebars and foot pegs from the X, and some dual sport tires....works good for me on road.

On one of the few off road rides on the F, I hit a pothole and bent the rim.

I've been looking at the newer version of the X with the 19" front wheel, ...2019 I think.

Did you find the need to lower the X?

jb

Reactions: grewen

·
Registered
28 Posts
What would be your opinion on it's interstate capabilities for those of you that have done some longer trips with the 500x?
I've been looking at picking one up for my girlfriend due to how dirt/modification friendly it is (plus the seat height) but I don't know how it would handle as far as highway travel.... I'm looking into getting a vstrom so figure the cb500x would fit in nicely.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I chose the F because it fit me better....30" inseam.

Put on the handlebars and foot pegs from the X, and some dual sport tires....works good for me on road.

On one of the few off road rides on the F, I hit a pothole and bent the rim.

I've been looking at the newer version of the X with the 19" front wheel, ...2019 I think.

Did you find the need to lower the X?

jb
i just sold my2019 cb500x. i did put RR lowering link in the rear and lowered the front 3/4". that brought it back to the height my 2018 was. having only a 28" inseam the 19 was just a hair too tall for my comfort. i was happy with this lowering as it did not change how the bike felt on the pavement

Attachments

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Thanks for the input, grewen.

My 500F is fine on the pavement.

Was there a problem with the X on the highway?

You sold it because it was a bit too tall?

Your 500X looks great. Wish I could have bought it.
Is that a Corbin seat?

jb

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
What would be your opinion on it's interstate capabilities for those of you that have done some longer trips with the 500x?
I've been looking at picking one up for my girlfriend due to how dirt/modification friendly it is (plus the seat height) but I don't know how it would handle as far as highway travel.... I'm looking into getting a vstrom so figure the cb500x would fit in nicely.
The bike cruises effortlessly at 70 to 75 mph. From there it will easily accelerate to 90 mph for passing. It is all day comfortable and easily gets between 65 to 70 mpg.

Tom

Reactions: Terk

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Thanks for the info. Did you find the need to lower the X?
You are welcome. As I've mentioned, I am very inseam challenged as well. With the increased spring rates front and back and sag adjusted properly, it is tippy-toe territory. I probably should lower it, but I haven't.

Reactions: jbfla

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Thanks for the input, grewen.

My 500F is fine on the pavement.

Was there a problem with the X on the highway?

You sold it because it was a bit too tall?

Your 500X looks great. Wish I could have bought it.
Is that a Corbin seat?

jb
my 500x was fine on the pavement, but i did lower a honda crf250l that didn't like to be lowered. it changed the geometry of the rear suspension. no, i sold it because i am suffering from ALS, and not able to ride anymore, it was a beautiful bike and yes to the corbin

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
You mention interstate and highway. To me, they are totally different experiences. I agree with Tom that the little Hondas are fully capable, but I hate riding interstate with traffic. In clean air, no issues. In disturbed air amongst other vehicles and semi-trucks is more difficult and unpleasant, to me at least. Put me on two lane highways at 45-75 MPH all day, everyday, for the scenery as well as overall joy of riding, and the bike loves it too. Said again, the bike will do interstate, it just isn't fun. At half the weight of a cruiser with windscreen, the little Honda is just not at home like one of those is on interstate. That's my 2 cents, at least.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The bike cruises effortlessly at 70 to 75 mph. From there it will easily accelerate to 90 mph for passing. It is all day comfortable and easily gets between 65 to 70 mpg.

Tom
Ah thanks, I was wondering roughly what it's preferred cruising speed was. Our crew typically doesn't go over 80 in most passing situations but it's good to know it can reach a more than adequate passing speed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You mention interstate and highway. To me, they are totally different experiences. I agree with Tom that the little Hondas are fully capable, but I hate riding interstate with traffic. In clean air, no issues. In disturbed air amongst other vehicles and semi-trucks is more difficult and unpleasant, to me at least. Put me on two lane highways at 45-75 MPH all day, everyday, for the scenery as well as overall joy of riding, and the bike loves it too. Said again, the bike will do interstate, it just isn't fun. At half the weight of a cruiser with windscreen, the little Honda is just not at home like one of those is on interstate. That's my 2 cents, at least.
Ah sorry bout that, locally in my state they tend to mean the same thing as far as traffic. People tend to drive with the same speed and mentality on local highways than the interstate or thruways. Makes for always feeling like you got someone breathing down your neck when you're on the tdub. Our focus wouldn't be to do long hauls on a interstate but to use it to get around/past a city or ect. Personally I prefer to always take the scenic route but I hate driving though metropolitan areas when I could save time and get to the country a little quicker.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Well, u guys got me goin. Test drove one the other day. Think I'll be buyin the 2020 red one. With old age not even creepin up anymore but comin on strong, I've been having too many aches and pains with the DL1000 and have decided to sell. The little Honda will be perfect, I think. And I can carry it behind the RV. Unfortunately, the Tdub may have to stay at home a bit more.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well, u guys got me goin. Test drove one the other day. Think I'll be buyin the 2020 red one. With old age not even creepin up anymore but comin on strong, I've been having too many aches and pains with the DL1000 and have decided to sell. The little Honda will be perfect, I think. And I can carry it behind the RV. Unfortunately, the Tdub may have to stay at home a bit more.
When you get ready to farkle your new 500X I have lot's of good suggestions! :D

Tom

21 - 33 of 33 Posts