TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Those are cool Fred. They are at The Cove; a little south and west from the shark area following the coastline. The water looked fairly flat and low there. When low, there are tunnels you can kayak through; but when high they are full with water. And there are just caves; one of which you can go into a little shop, and go down stairs into the cave. I kayaked into one in a rougher surf; and spent between a half hour to an hour trying to get out timing the swells. I'd just keep getting flipped and blown back into the cave. Luckily there was a beach inside so I could pull out and rest before my next attempt.

·
Super Moderator
17,932 Posts
Neat, I've never snorkeld inside a restaurant before.

This looks like fun too.
Those are cool Fred. They are at The Cove; a little south and west from the shark area following the coastline. The water looked fairly flat and low there. When low, there are tunnels you can kayak through; but when high they are full with water. And there are just caves; one of which you can go into a little shop, and go down stairs into the cave. I kayaked into one in a rougher surf; and spent between a half hour to an hour trying to get out timing the swells. I'd just keep getting flipped and blown back into the cave. Luckily there was a beach inside so I could pull out and rest before my next attempt.
Boy, that brings back memories. When I was a kid, I went to the cove almost everyday during summer vacation. I used to do a lot of snorkeling and have been in that cave a few times. You should have seen the look on tourists faces in there that had come down there from the shop when I would pop up!! It can be very dangerous trying to get in and out of there. The cove is a beautiful place to dive. I used to see some huge fish there. There was also "the clam", where you could jump off the cliff nearby into the ocean. :p

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Cool videos Fred. Those dolphins are on some big swell, smart too as they bailed out the back door as they slamed shut. Yesterday I did a sail/ grey whale tour today I am recovering from eye surgery. As a native SDien I have never swam/ kayaked to those caves pretty cool. Another first this year we went on our aniversary to the Marine Room, as luck would have it it fell on a sunset high tide event. The sunset high tides dining times are coveted. It's kinda a swanky place so not on our frequent hang outs.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Those dolphins like to surf just west of us at Torrey Pines State Beach. We rode there the other day it's quite common to see them at sunset playing in the waves.

IMG_0399.JPG IMG_0402.JPG IMG_0404.JPG

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Yeah Tommy the clam is right near by. Below is a video my bro shot at Blacks Beach between the cove and TPSB. A lot of Leopard sharks hang out here in summer too. They are harmless but startle you whem swimming.

Check out my bros channel.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Yes at one time back in the day on big summer holiday weekends there could be 20,000+ nudists down there. Now it's mostly old gays excepting the surfers, fisherman and other sightseers. Blacks has one of best beach breaks in SD for surfing. When the swell is up it is very strong and powerful. The glider port is on top of the cliffs and it is common to see all sorts of wind powered craft. You don't see the sail planes as much and if they missed their up drafts they had a beach landing and retrieval from the beach using the University access road.

IMG_0365.PNG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts