TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Nice.
Do you know the way to the Right Nuts warming hut?

I do not, haven't really explored tamihi at all. Basically all I know is just the windy knob loop. When I had my yz250fx I had all intentions to explore Chipmunk, Tahmahi and Vedder just never got the chance. Mostly it was just the fsr I've done while in the 4runner. Only put 20ish hrs on he fx before I sold it. Was to much hassle to pack up just to go for a ride. Being able to hop on the tw and just go makes it much easier to get out at a moments notice. Especially when those 3 places are all within 30mins of me.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Pretty country...

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Next time you're out in that area, take a trip to the Ford Mountain FSR. If you follow the right branch, you end up near the top of Ford mountain, looking west down into the Chilliwack River Valley...great view!
I've got all kinds of .gpx files for here and many other areas...mostly FSR's as I don't do a lot of single track.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do, what I have been doing is heading down to Chilliwack lake and turning around d and basically hitting every side road and just exploring.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Center Creek is another nice ride...a huge landslide past the last bridge though....

Still...some nice scenery to be had.

A neat daytrip would be the Paleface pass...come out near Hope!
Last time I was up that way was about 3 years ago and the road was in awful shape...can't imagined it's improved any since.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually since I go and walk the eco reserve with my dog lots in the summer. I decided to hit up paleface on the tw a couple months ago. Turns out they started logging again and the road has been re done mostly and it's pretty smooth to the TCT trail head. I've always wanted to do the hike and I know lots mountian bike it. Wonder if it could do be on the tw. I know lots of the TCT isnt motorized friendly but I ride lots of it along the river valley and do trail clearing at the same time. Some sections haven't seen traffic in a long time. The picture is paleface fsr.
20190929_133214.jpg

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I decided to hit up paleface on the tw a couple months ago. Turns out they started logging again and the road has been re done mostly and it's pretty smooth to the TCT trail head.
Hot diggity!!!!
I hope you're talking about the Chilliwack Lake side...it's been about 10 years since I was at the Trailhead. I've been hoping that they would clear it out again...
At first, I went in at Hope and walked the Pass down to the Chilliwack Lake side, then a few months later I went up via Chwk Lk and walked over to the Skagit side.
There are a couple of tight spots, but I'm sure that you could easily walk a TW through there...I wouldn't want to ride it though, it would make a mess of things and then the cyclers would start whining again...although I don't know of too many that have actually used the Pass in the last 10 years...it's been pretty much "inaccessible" to all but the hardcore.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is the Chilliwack side, and you are correct that it has basically been only the hardcore doing the trail. Most never wanted to park at the bottom of paleface and hike the fsr to the trailhead. Some of the sections of the TCT along the river valley I've ridden have looked long abandoned. Not sure if the great trail society doesnr have funding for trail up keep or what. 2 months ago I cleared a couple sections heading back from Chipmunk. One lead to a giant gravel pit that I had no idea existed.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
It's quite a walk from Chwk Lk to the Pass...about 5km and almost 600m of elevation, I believe.
I think I know the gravel pit you're talking about...it's on the south side of Chwk Lk rd near Chipmunk Caves parking area...we go there from time to time to build a fire and have a weinie roast.... :D

While riding one section of TCT (near the Pierce Lake trailhead) I came across a homeless encampment, complete with ropes across the trail and a large Rottweiller...I didn't hang around long.
As for funding, the sections that see any work are usually the parts near town, just like the KVR...the rest gets abandoned; been near the Ladner Creek lately? The trail to the tunnel is covered in blowdown and debris and it won't see a penny of maintenance, aside from those who use it if they feel so inclined. Same for the section near Brodie...a slide has wiped out a big chunk of the railbed and if it weren't for the quadder's and biker's...it would still be impassable. The entire "trail" from Cultus to Tamihi (along the bench) is also part of the TCT and is in the worst shape I've seen in over 15 years of riding. Expect little to change as far as that goes too.

Now I'm hoping for some decent weather in the next week or two so that I can go check out the new road to Paleface...that is GREAT news!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We came across the gravel pit during a night ride. Still got to go check it out during the day. Most of the homeless camps are gone now. Still a couple permanent squatter trailers are still set up along the road.

Last time I was at ladner creek was before someone decided to burn the deck of the trestle by tossing a butt. When I walked in it was pretty bad.

Have you by any chance seen the old abandoned treehouse across from the fish hatchery? Its in extremely rough shape but cool to look up at. Someone spent a considerable amount of time on it. Sadly people always ruin things.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Hmmm...never saw any treehouse near the Hatchery, but then again, I usually have my eyes on the road...I'll look for it next time.
Speaking of cool things to see...have you seen the old cabin on Thurston? It's in really rough shape and ready to slide down the hillside any day now, but it's fairly big, someone put a few hours on that one too.
There's also one by the TCT where it comes out near Silverhope lake. Normally, I don't go advertising these, but this one is listed on Geocaching.com, so probably everyone knows about it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm definitely not one to advertise cool findings but I'm thinking there isn't many of us locals on this board. If was on clubtread or the Fraser valley hiking group I keep silent. You never know who is scanning. When you past the hatchery right before you go up the hill. Look to your right and you will see a small pull out that people camp in. Go in there and follow he faint trail to your left and it heads up a slope and turns right. You could ride it. Just follow it and it leads right to the fort.

I've heard of a old cabin on Thurston I've never seen it though. I've done the loop dozens of times but never really explored much off it, just used the snowmobile groups warm up shack a couple times. Always wanted to see it. There is also a cabin or two up McGuire that I've seen photos of and I've also seen a photo of one off west harrison. Maybe when it gets nice out we could meet up for a ride. I met up with another fellow 2 weeks from the group and we rode West Harrison. Would be cool to have a roll call of local people. I'm always done to explore haha.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
My problem is that I can never really "plan" anything...if I can make it, I show up but usually on the days that people make plans, I'm on-call at work so I can't go too far.
The cabin on Thurston is fairly easy to find. Just head up the newer section of logging road until it levels out. The trail continues to the right, but if you continue straight ahead, the "road" goes past a landing then disappears into the woods. There are some HUGE puddles in there...be warned. About 1 km in, you cross a small slide chute/creek and another 100m or so past this, look for some pink flagging tape on the right. Look up the hill...you should see the cabin, it's about 25m into the bush and leaning downhill if it hasn't taken off already.
I've never found the warmup shack on Thurston although I "think" I know where it is...
The McGuire cabin is falling apart...I was up there last year and it won't be standing much longer. Basically, you just follow the "road" or what's left of it, all the way to the hiking trailhead near the Marsh Creek cave. The bridge at 8km has collapsed so you have to drive through the creek to reach the road on the other side...best left until the drier days of summer. Just before the parking area, a small road takes off steeply uphill to the left. You could probably ride up, but I just walk because it's not very far. The cabin is nestled among some trees about 150m in from the parking area.
There's also chimney from an old cabin on the other side of McGuire, but that was years ago and it has probably collapsed by now...it was an awful bushwhack to reach it back then...probably impassable now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hear you, one of my buddies who got a tw is the same. I normally shoot him a msg the day of and if he is good to go we met up if not then I go solo. The warm up shack is just past the saddle look out. If you are from the cheam side, once you hit the saddle it's a few 100m up the fsr and it's a right on a quad trail and its just down the trail. For the fsr on Thurston are you talking about the one that was previously gated and now is open and if you follow it it's all new logging and the old fsr kinda just vanishes into uncleared woods? I went up there at night a few weeks back and one of the branches gains some serious elevation and came to a flat spot with campers. When I cam down I went left and followed the fsr and it came to some giant mud puddles and past that the road is blocked from blow down.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
When I cam down I went left and followed the fsr and it came to some giant mud puddles and past that the road is blocked from blow down.
If I understand your direction-of-travel...that's the road...sounds like you'll need to hike in now, but it isn't that far.

I've been to the saddle lookout between Thurston and Cheam but I'm still not sure where this shack is. The last time I was up there was over 7 years ago and I went up the Cheam FSR then went left to the saddle, then turned right at the "gravel pit" and followed the valley to the lookout. From there, I backtracked and followed ridge all the way over to Thurston/Mercer and went down the Thurston FSR back to the Chipmunk bench. I found the remnants of an old shack along the ridge...actually just the roof...but didn't notice any shack. Sometimes if you don't know EXACTLY where to look, you can drive right past these things and not even notice them.

If you ever go towards Hedley, I can give you directions to the upper and lower entrances to the mine up on the hill...really cool to explore!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts