TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the 18th, the last scheduled day in Moab, Mississippi Larry and I joined Twilight on what he called the "Twilight Zone Ride", a backcountry route into and through Arches National Park to visit several remote arches and have fun in the deep sand and some smooth sailing on graded roads. After that we rode back to camp via the more popular paved park roads.

This was my final ride with Mike before he was banned for allegedly somehow posting hateful things while simultaneously driving to Salt Lake City the next day with Mr. and Mrs. Trips sitting next to him without benefit of a smart phone or internet access (I have only seen Mike use an old school flip phone). We will never know the whole truth but the gossip leaves a bad taste. Glad I got one more worry-free adventure with two good riding companions, even if we were embarrassingly passed twice by a jogger in the deep sand.;) Mississippi Larry is a great guy and a rather accomplished rider even if he does put his feet out in the sand. He just needs a wider ATV tire to float through the sand like Mike and I.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Good times, Fred. I should have ditched Mrs Trip at least once and ridden with you guys, but we ran out of time. We had to go looking for a FedEx box that morning anyway. Mike cracks me up at about 3:15... worlds fastest TW :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah, we were really clowning it up in fifth gear towards the end knowing that once on the Park roads proper we would have to slow down and behave like responsible adults. Fun ride. And yes indeed Elime, Betty was rearing up a bit on the steep ledges out by the Marching Men formation and Tower Arch. Your good high compression piston/cylinder and Plumbstraight's carburetor were a recipe for success.

These TWs are lots of fun in the backcountry. Sure we could have been on more sophisticated bikes traveling at warp speeds but the relaxed nature with friends is hard to beat. Certainly the quite exhaust levels allow joking back and forth between bikes while on the move.

Next get together I shall try to ride with more of you fine folks I didn't ride with last time. Yippee!

·
Registered
13,352 Posts
On the 18th, the last scheduled day in Moab, Mississippi Larry and I joined Twilight on what he called the "Twilight Zone Ride", a backcountry route into and through Arches National Park to visit several remote arches and have fun in the deep sand and some smooth sailing on graded roads. After that we rode back to camp via the more popular paved park roads.

This was my final ride with Mike before he was banned for allegedly somehow posting hateful things while simultaneously driving to Salt Lake City the next day with Mr. and Mrs. Trips sitting next to him without benefit of a smart phone or internet access (I have only seen Mike use an old school flip phone). We will never know the whole truth but the gossip leaves a bad taste. Glad I got one more worry-free adventure with two good riding companions, even if we were embarrassingly passed twice by a jogger in the deep sand.;) Mississippi Larry is a great guy and a rather accomplished rider even if he does put his feet out in the sand. He just needs a wider ATV tire to float through the sand like Mike and I.:rolleyes:

We did that loop in the afternoon of my first riding day. Think there was 8 or 9 of us and we rode it in reverse of what you guys did. Good times!

P.S. That was a funny comment when the jogger went by. :p

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Looks like great fun in the sun and sand! Beautiful scenery!

·
Registered
27 Posts
That all looks incredible. I haven't found much good riding here in Indiana. Big park up north west of me; the Badlands at Attica. There's a few areas with heavy sand there. I need some more riding buddies in the area!

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Fred, after seeing that ride with my carb and it not missing a beat, I am afraid after taking Miss Betty for a ride it will balk on mine when it gets home. By the way, take your time with it. I have lots to do before I get to the ignition issue on mine.

·
Registered
19,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Randall. All I have done so far is unload it yesterday and bring it out of a snowstorm.
Tried to drain float bowl but the drain screw did not want to turn easily and I didn't want to risk buggering up the JIS screw head on a borrowed carb. Mine I cross cut with a Dremel cut-off wheel so that a broad family of blade, #2, and #1 Phillips screwdrivers will readily open the drain as long as screw is not seated too firmly.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Thanks Randall. All I have done so far is unload it yesterday and bring it out of a snowstorm.
Tried to drain float bowl but the drain screw did not want to turn easily and I didn't want to risk buggering up the JIS screw head on a borrowed carb. Mine I cross cut with a Dremel cut-off wheel so that a broad family of blade, #2, and #1 Phillips screwdrivers will readily open the drain as long as screw is not seated too firmly.
I have always just turned off the tank and let the engine run it dry.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I have always just turned off the tank and let the engine run it dry.
Same here.

That's a lot of sandy driving. I would be more comfortable driving there then across the smaller patches here. The ground looks more consistent then anywhere I ride. Or maybe the sand just looks sandier on the other side of the fence. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts