TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my TW outfitted to handle the ride I've been wanting to do since I got it, and as luck would have it I had the privilege of meeting up with a fellow forum member who was interested in tackling the most interesting part of that ride with me. It was nice to meet up with a_frye to ride the playa, this was the first time I've ridden with a fellow T-dubber.

Dos T-Dubs below Dos Cabezas

My trip down to the playa was far and away the fastest dirt riding I've ever done. Cascabel Rd and 3 Links Rd had both been recently graded, and the sand had been scraped out of all of the wash crossings. I was making awesome time, cruising between 45-55mph. I topped out at 60 once just to try it out!

We met up at the access point and rode the playa together. I didn't take any pictures on my way there, but I did document the first 60 miles of the journey in my earlier ride report:

San Pedro Hwy/Cascabel Rd

It was just about 100 miles from my driveway to the playa. Here's the route I took according to my Spot's 10-minute interval check-ins.

This is the route we rode together on the playa, zoomed in.

I'm pretty new to the Spot, so I'm plenty open to tips on how to visually represent the data it delivers in better ways.

Got this one of the train heading towards our meetup point

Plenty of room out there!

The Eastern edge of the playa has a lot of dunes and other fun features to ride around, through, and over. The surface is pretty solid for a ways but then it gives way to loose sand farther in.

Way out there...

These cylinders are scattered across the playa, I was scratching my head about them until I remembered reading somewhere that they are old water wells. And yes, the playa will eat your kickstand!

The playa was awesome, it's hard to describe how vast it feels when you're out on it. But, I wanted to try and get back to Tucson before dark so it was time to head out. I did stop to take some pictures of the beautiful country down around Willcox and 3 Links Rd.

Cont'd below

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That's the playa off in the distance

SHARE THE ROAD!

And back to Tucson just in time to catch the fading sunset

We rode around 30 miles together out on the playa, so my day was about 230 miles all in with about 90% of that being dirt. The whole day was a real blast, and I'm looking forward to tackling more of these longer distance dual sport rides in the future.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Nice! It is fun riding with other Tw forum members. I've ridden with 4 others.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The wilcox playa is notorious for people getting further out than they should have and getting seriously stuck with a long way to solid ground. Been there, done that. There is a reason why the people that live around the playa mostly avoid going out on it. There are lots of places to ride in the sulfer springs valley other than the wilcox playa. rw

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome ride, definitely jealous!

What front tire is that on your bike?

That's a Shinko SR244 Goldenboy in the 5.10 size. I've been very happy with it. It was a little on the wobbly side before I put Ride-On in there, but that's a balancing issue more than a tire issue. Even with the wobble I preferred it to the stocker for off-road.

I got mine from ProCycle.

·
Registered
250 Posts
That's a Shinko SR244 Goldenboy in the 5.10 size. I've been very happy with it. It was a little on the wobbly side before I put Ride-On in there, but that's a balancing issue more than a tire issue. Even with the wobble I preferred it to the stocker for off-road.

I got mine from ProCycle.

Thanks for the reply! Just made my tire/size decision a lot easier when the time comes (hopefully soon)!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Awesome ride, I mean, muy bien!!! Great pictures, I especially like the one with the train in the background. I also liked the maps. Spots are nice, I hope to get one someday. Thanks for sharing with us.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Wow, those are some great shots. BTW, I don't think you need any help displaying Spot tracks. I'm lucky to just find mine....lol.

·
Registered
13,745 Posts
I have to share the road with that type of traffic quite often as well. So, is it kind of fun riding out in a place without ditches or barrow pits?

There is one of those Playa's on the East side of the Steens Mtn's in SE Oregon I want to visit one day. Your trip reminded me I need to get on ths stick and get it done. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys!

And Admiral, yes you definitely need to take a trip to that playa near you. I've never been anywhere else quite like it, and riding the playa was a truly unique experience.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here are some other photos for the ride report. Great fun to meet up and ride together...looking forward to more adventures and new landscapes.

A surreal landscape indeed....Hard to imagine it was once a giant lake surrounded by dense marsh and bird habitat....Could you picture prehistoric native Hohokam paddling reed canoes, hunting migrating flocks of sandhill cranes...?

Here is the playa (upper left corner) from space....!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are some other photos for the ride report. Great fun to meet up and ride together...looking forward to more adventures and new landscapes.

A surreal landscape indeed....Hard to imagine it was once a giant lake surrounded by dense marsh and bird habitat....Could you picture prehistoric native Hohokam paddling reed canoes, hunting migrating flocks of sandhill cranes...?

Oh great you got a good pic of that huge ant hill!

Thanks for posting up your pics too, the more the better.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That looks like a great loop...i need to come down for a ride with you

Have any of you tuscon guys done mammoth to turkey creek and carpet hill on the tws?

Hey xdac,

I've never done that Turkey Creek route, but the ride reports I looked up do look pretty fun.

I tried to PM you about riding down here, but I guess maybe your inbox is full?

Lemme know!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Its an all day trip on quads for sure. Not too technical besides carpet hill, but just rocks after rocks after rocks. Not sure id like to ride the tw on it, but i should be planning a quad trip soon

1 - 20 of 21 Posts