TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been considering my FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radios using headset with VOX Mic. Has anyone ever used this configuration while riding motorcycles? I own 4 Motorola Talkabout radios with VOX features but I don't want to buy the headsets unless they work.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've used VOX for several types of radio systems. PTT is way better IMO because usually engine noise, or some other source of outside input keeps the voice actuation "constantly on". And if you're the "other" guy with the other radio this will drive you crazy because your buddy's radio will be perma keyed. I have not found a VOX system yet that allows you to control the gain on the mic in order to silence it. Not saying there isn't such a thing, I just haven't run across one.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
-1 for VOX
+1 for PTT

THANKS.

Im interested to see how this thread evolves.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I have been considering my FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radios using headset with VOX Mic. Has anyone ever used this configuration while riding motorcycles? I own 4 Motorola Talkabout radios with VOX features but I don't want to buy the headsets unless they work.
Did not want to get involved because experiences vary greatly with the VOX feature. My father and I use both Cobra and Motorola two-way radios a lot during hunting season on our 100 acre lease. I have not used my own radio and headset configuration while riding a motorcycle but imagine it would work just fine. Here is the deal though, you have to purchase a decent set of throat mics with the earbud audio tubes. You also have to take time to get the correct VOX settings for your radio/headset combination. They are useful tools even if they don't wind up being ideal for your motorcycle and will make your radios hands free and much more convenient. Hope this helps.

This may very well be a decent option as well.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/midland-headset-speaker-and-microphone-for-closed-face-helmets/1306693538.p?id=mp1306693538&skuId=1306693538

Tom

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
OK, so mine is a single pin. So I may have to custom wire this thing into my helmet. Rick, If you do yours, I'll do mine, so we can talk while we ride when your up here. Just please, no singing, ok?

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I think I'll get this one Rick. Mount everything to helmet. Mount radio on back of helmet. No wires to tangle up in.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FE09SQ8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_H1Ynvb1S4C9DJ
Looks like they offer these VOX headsets for both Full Face as well as Motorcross helmets. I have a feeling the Full Face setup is going to work better. My bike is loud without the end pipe One of the California members on the forum is suppose to sell me a muffler. I PMed him to see if the muffler is still available.
Edit:
I found my VOX headset I haven't used it in years. It's not the type that would work under a helmet but I did play with it this morning. I have the Motorola MR 350 R radios. I googled the user manual and there are three VOX Setting
USER GUIDE
[video]http://content.giantintl.com/manuals/Moto/MR350-351%20User%20Guide%2012-16-08%20KEM-PK14190-90.pdf[/video]

Turn your radio on with the VOX headset plugged in.

Sensitivity Level When in Mode

Adjusting the radio’s sensitivity level helps minimize the possibility of unintended noises triggering a transmission and helps the radio pick up soft voices.
3. Press

until VOX and the level setting (1 - 3) appear on the 2. Press or to select the sensitivity level.
1. Press display.
to set or
to continue set up.

3 = High Sensitivity for quiet environments
2 = Medium Sensitivity for most environments
1= Low Sensitivity for noisy environments

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Me and Bucknutz tried the VOX on TWs with the mike mounted in our helmets and the same Motorola radios as Werloc has. Drove us crazy because of engine and wind noise that always kept one of the mikes transmitting. Tried all the adjustments and could not get them to work right no matter what. Gregor had the throat mikes that did work better but still not a good alternative for our TWs.

There were a lot of discussions about the comm. systems a while back and a few guys bought the better ones specifically designed for MCs and they seemed to be working a lot better. The Push to talk would be a much better option if you could wire the button to the bars in an easy to reach spot and then be wired to your helmet but that was a poor hard wired system and a PITA.

Some guys were also trying the Bluetooth cell phone connections with the ear buds stuffed in their ears but I never did hear how or if they were a good working option.

Let us know if you get a system figured out that works.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Me and Bucknutz tried the VOX on TWs with the mike mounted in our helmets and the same Motorola radios as Werloc has. Drove us crazy because of engine and wind noise that always kept one of the mikes transmitting. Tried all the adjustments and could not get them to work right no matter what. Gregor had the throat mikes that did work better but still not a good alternative for our TWs.

There were a lot of discussions about the comm. systems a while back and a few guys bought the better ones specifically designed for MCs and they seemed to be working a lot better. The Push to talk would be a much better option if you could wire the button to the bars in an easy to reach spot and then be wired to your helmet but that was a poor hard wired system and a PITA.

Some guys were also trying the Bluetooth cell phone connections with the ear buds stuffed in their ears but I never did hear how or if they were a good working option.

Let us know if you get a system figured out that works.

GaryL
Thanks Gary. What type of helmets did you guys use?

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Thanks Gary. What type of helmets did you guys use?
Both were full face and mine was a flip up modular. The mikes and ear piece went in easy and worked great walking around the yard using the radios but as soon as we started motoring either the wind noise or engine noise kept keying the VOX. We could turn the sensitivity down but then we had to scream into the mikes to begin the transmissions. It was also difficult to hear because there was not enough volume to the ear piece to override the wind and engine noise. We messed around with them quite a bit and never could get the FRS/GMRS radios to work right.

If you can figure out how to go back in the search to around when I first became a forum member, about 2 years ago, there was a lot of discussions on the forum of this exact nature. There was one MC system that seemed to work pretty good but it was pretty expensive and each rider had to buy his own system that would connect to the others in the group but they all had to be the same system. I don't remember the name of that system.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Ok guy's. I did a bunch of research on this topic because I started thinking that this could in fact come in handy for me too. Since I own many pairs of two way radios why not use them! This system is the one that seems to be heavily favored by motorcyclists and snowmobile riders. It is a bit expensive but you only need one.

Motocomm Motorcycle Headset | CB World

Tom

·
Super Moderator
1,904 Posts
This is what the wife and I have UCLEAR HBC200 Force Bluetooth Communicator - Dual Pack - RevZilla alittle pricey but well worth it. They can be swapped from one helmet to another very easily. You can have up to 10 riders with this system. I've seen them for around $300 for the pair. Just be aware that the HBC100 model does not work with the HBC200 model, everyone must have the 200 model to talk to each other. One of my wifes friends bought a single for herself so when the three of us ride we can stay in touch when riding.

BTW, tried the VOX and the PTT neither worked real well when my son and I when on our ride a couple years ago, so when these came up for sale as new from a member here I jumped on it.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well Bob looks like our radios are about useless

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
This is what the wife and I have UCLEAR HBC200 Force Bluetooth Communicator - Dual Pack - RevZilla alittle pricey but well worth it. They can be swapped from one helmet to another very easily. You can have up to 10 riders with this system. I've seen them for around $300 for the pair. Just be aware that the HBC100 model does not work with the HBC200 model, everyone must have the 200 model to talk to each other. One of my wifes friends bought a single for herself so when the three of us ride we can stay in touch when riding.

BTW, tried the VOX and the PTT neither worked real well when my son and I when on our ride a couple years ago, so when these came up for sale as new from a member here I jumped on it.
Yes, that is the system others and you had mentioned that seems to work quite well. I have seen it mentioned that the 200 models can link up to 20 different radios in a single group or 10 pairs but don't know this to be correct.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think it's time to start selling stuff I have laying around that's not being used. Riding motorcycles is about like scuba diving. You need a plan and lots of hand signals.
Plus you guys are jamming me up with all your wonderful ride videos. Now I want an action camera as well. :blob3:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts