TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Standin on a corner in Winslow Arizona such a fine sight to see....A Big Bore Kit in the Parking Lot Waiting For Me lol

A 2002 TTR225 in decent shape for $600 runs a rides and appears to be a fairly low hour bike the only possible snag is the guy I got it from said the oil filter was improperly installed and not oiling the top end but at least he was aware of the issue and corrected it but I'll have to go through the top end and make sure it's ok.

Check out the welded tube frame skid plate is that OEM ???
SAM_1019.JPG SAM_1018.JPG SAM_1020.JPG SAM_1021.JPG SAM_1022.JPG SAM_1023.JPG SAM_1016.JPG SAM_1017.JPG

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
Interesting variety of steel, plastic and aluminum skid plates available for the TTR. If you want something different for your TW you may wish to google TTR225 SKID PLATE. Here is a detail of one of the steel options: skid.jpg

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Well done, PlacerLode!

That beefy skidplate and stainless steel header will look great on your TW225 6-speed. I have often wondered if those plastic TTR225 gastanks could be easily retrofitted onto a TW, you will have to let us know.

Also, could you measure the diameter of the upper fork legs to see if they are 36mm like the XT225? If they are, maybe you could see if your machine shop guys think that they could bore out the 33mm TW triple clamps to fit these TTR fork legs? This may be a way to pick up some extra travel length and a better(?) front suspension.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
I believe they are 36mm tubes with 9 inches of travel. Be nice if entire TTR/XT225 triple tree could be transplanted with forks, brake line, speedo cable, etc into a TW, used parts are reasonably priced.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I believe they are 36mm tubes with 9 inches of travel. Be nice if entire TTR/XT225 triple tree could be transplanted with forks, brake line, speedo cable, etc into a TW, used parts are reasonably priced.
Hey Fred(s),

I believe that a straight swap is doable if you want to use the skinny 21 inch front wheel from the TTR/XT225. If you wanted to keep the wider 18 inch TW front wheel, then you would have to use bored out TW triples.

What size front wheel and triples does the Mr. Gizmow bike use?

Brian

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
Some flavor of Tri-Z's 9 inch travel 35mm forks and bored out second hand triple clamps.
I really should get more details from him since it works well and recreate a new interpretation for Betty Boop. Was riding Mr.Gizmo today, nice different feel sitting higher.
Jerry fabricated a beefy mounting plate for the 2006's disc brake caliper to fit the Tri-Z leg, simple yet effective. Yet Gerry had me sign a liability release for that mod.:p
A pair of 36mm RT-180, XT or TTR forks would be stiffer and might make mounting the caliper easier. A recent Craigslist had a TW with 36mm legs so I guess OEM trees have room for a 36mm bore. Mr.Gizmo's 35mm fork bore has endured mild thrashing well to date, no cracks or loosening. Tubes still straight and leak free.
Extra ground clearance just might extend skid plate life.;)
Tires do hang closer to ground during transport though. Rav7dMA+Qj2VE8DKxGmCXw_thumb_67.jpg

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
So back to the other Fred: PlacerLode, what will be the fate of this TTR? Fix & flip? Fix & keep? Donor bike providing tank, engine and forks for a somewhat confused 6 speed custom TW225?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
produzado na zona franca de manaus! i recognize that side cover, another brazilian transplant tw thumper!
SAM_1018.jpg

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So back to the other Fred: PlacerLode, what will be the fate of this TTR? Fix & flip? Fix & keep? Donor bike providing tank, engine and forks for a somewhat confused 6 speed custom TW225?
My goal was just a donor motor and the stainless header pipe for my TW I'll probably part out the rest as it has no title but I bought it from a Tribal LEO

The plastic tank mounts a little different than a TW basically rests on a rubber puck on top of the frame and a few small pucks on each side and is not even bolted on in the back

I'll test fit the tank on a TW and see what it looks like

·
Registered
19,401 Posts
produzado na zona franca de manaus = produced in the free zone of Manaus
The Free Trade Zone located on the Amazon River's main city of Manaus was established in 1967 and is licensed until 2023.
Yamaha is one of 600 plus companies taking advantage of a boatload of fiscal incentives including tax exemptions from Import, Export, Tax on Industrialized Products ( IPI), Corporate Income Tax (IRJP), Social Integration Program and Contribution for Social Security Financing, PIS and COFINS, State Tax on Circulation of Goods and Services, Urban Property Tax (ITPU), trash collection fees, etc, etc.
And you probably thought your taxes were cumbersome!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got to fire up my new TTR225 yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at how much low end grunt the 225 motors have and the 6 speed tranny was awesome

Seemed like I could drop it into any gear twist the throttle and it would grunt like a freight train up to speed

I can't wait to swap in into a TW !!!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You'll love the low end torque ....
Yes the difference is surprising I can see the 225 with the ATV tire is a match made in Heaven!

I also noticed the plastic gas tank on the TTR225 is made by Acerbis so it's a high quality tank

It appears to mount much like the Clarke tank with a through bolt up front
SAM_1089.JPG SAM_1090.JPG SAM_1091.JPG SAM_1092.JPG SAM_1093.JPG SAM_1095.JPG SAM_1096.JPG SAM_1098.JPG SAM_1099.JPG

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like you found yourself a nice clean donor cycle!
It did fire right up with no smoke, ticks or rattles and the carb eve seemed in pretty good shape

I'd still like to check and see if I can talk Engines Only into doing a few more 225 to 250cc builds

Did you have the Mikuni Carb on the XT by chance ? Just wondering if I should run that or use the TW carb

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Did you have the Mikuni Carb on the XT by chance ? Just wondering if I should run that or use the TW carb
Yes, I had the Mikuni carb on the XT225 engine, but I ended up using TW carbs on both of my TW225 builds. As you can see by the pics below, the Mikuni carb is quite a bit larger than the TW carb. I can't say for sure that it couldn't be made to fit into a TW, but I did not even attempt to do it. Between the overall significant size difference, the mismatch between the Mikuni input port and the TW carb boot, and the limited space between the carb and airbox, I just did see not any easy way to make it work.

What is also interesting to note is that although the carb side of the XT/TTR intake manifold opening is significantly larger than the TW's, it is also necked down on the engine side to the exact same opening size as the TW's! This makes me wonder what the purpose of using the larger carb on the XT/TTR225 is? My bikes sure don't seem to be limited by using the smaller TW carbs!

Your mileage may vary. . . .

100_5394.JPG

100_5396.JPG

100_5397.JPG

100_5400.JPG

100_5401.JPG

100_5431.JPG

1 - 20 of 21 Posts