TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a bigger bike that style wise came close to the TW. I was into the profile of my TW, it reminded me of my enduro bikes of the 70s. And I didn't like lots of plastic like the KLR has. I wanted something kind of minimilistic and simple, low saddle, easy to work on, and a thumper of course! Well I settled on a 2008 DR 650. And I call it "Big Brother." TW gets along fine with his adopted brother from another mother. Though I didn't tell TW that Big Brother has eaten up his Farkle allowance.:eek:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats, those are good solid bikes. I like the seat, looks comfortable.
It is! The DR 650 is notorious for having a hard seat. I ordered the Seat Concepts kit for $160. Which is new foam and cover. It's an easy reupholster do it yourself thing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is my '07 DR650. Behind it is Big D on his Honda XR650L. Behind him is 750 million tax dollars that was flushed down the toilet.

View attachment 3848
Click on picture to enlarge.
Nice! You obviously have good taste in color. How many farkles are on it ?

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I liked my DR650. Even more so with the lowering kit. Might get another and lace up some TW rim sizes--never thought to measure and see if the rear would fit. Front is a simple matter of billet triples. and a spacer or 3.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Did Suzuki ever "fix" some of the issues with the past production DR's.......I read some had poor castings for 3rd gear and a couple other things I cannot remember off-hand. I did have a 650L several years ago,good bike but was a sail in the highway ?....is the DR650 the same way?. I really loved the suspension of the 650L and the seat.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I liked my DR650. Even more so with the lowering kit. Might get another and lace up some TW rim sizes--never thought to measure and see if the rear would fit. Front is a simple matter of billet triples. and a spacer or 3.
Got to admit the rear tire on the DR looks kinda wimpy next to the TW:(

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did Suzuki ever "fix" some of the issues with the past production DR's.......I read some had poor castings for 3rd gear and a couple other things I cannot remember off-hand. I did have a 650L several years ago,good bike but was a sail in the highway ?....is the DR650 the same way?. I really loved the suspension of the 650L and the seat.
Some of the early production DRs had some issues. I believe that they were corrected. By sail do you mean not aerodynamic ? I only notice semis going 65 mph in the opposite direction. And it feels pretty solid going 70 down the highway. In fact most blogs I've read about the DR say that they were surprised at how good it feels on pavement.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes they did. Either 2008 model year or sometime during the 2008 model year. My notes say to buy the DR650 2009 model year or newer. I wanted a big brother for my TW and it came down to the DR or KLR. I got a KLR as the cockpit was more comfy as I have long legs/arms. The DR felt to cramped for me. It may be Suzukis best selling bike worldwide (or so I have read) which is why it has remained mostly unchanged for so many years. Capt D.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
My '07 makes noise in 3rd gear when it is cold but it all but goes away once it is warmed up. The bike had 2K miles on it when I bought it and now has 6K miles and the noise hasn't changed in that time.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Showing your youth Pass Man. For me it was Ted Simon's Jupiter's Travels.
Good , I'll take that complement to the bank. I just turned 50. By the way if my father were still alive, he'd have a Steve McQueen Avitar. I think he thought he was Steve McQueen in Bullit the way he liked to drive the family Bel Air!

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I like the Steve. I'm certain that is why I have a Triumph Scrambler in "Steve McQueen Green". He made some good movies. I guess it was a compliment. I only got ya by 3 years and a few months. Your Dad would have loved the video in my visitor message on my profile page then. Once again, congratulations on the fine DR. I'm going to rejoin the owners ranks some time this summer...soon as I sort a few bills out.

Oh, and Jupiter's Travels is a great book. I think he rode the world sometime back in the early to mid '70's.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, it was a compliment . My father rode a Scrambler to the top of White Mtn. A fourteen thousand foot peak in Ca. That was as close to a dual sport as you could get in those days. He passed away in 2010 from cancer, otherwise he would still be riding today.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts