TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As promised — here’s the “definitive” article — first, a guide to identifying the American TW200 by the colour scheme for each year — 1987 to 2018 (credit to Joeband for the pics)

1987 — two colours (below)

1987.jpg - 1987-1.jpg

1988 — single colour — The ”Black Widow”

1988.jpg

1989 — two colours — (the first is a variation on the ’88, with the lower half of the engine in grey)

1989.jpg 1989-1.jpg

1990 — two colours

1990.jpg 1990-1.jpg

1991 — two colours

1991.jpg - 1991-1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1992 — single colour (below) — (all single colours from now on)

1992.jpg

1993 — (differs from the ’92 by the inclusion of a side logo)

1993.jpg

1994 — The “Rainbow Warrior”

1994.jpg

1995 — Variation on previous year, with lighter tank decals and blue fork boots

1995.jpg

1996 — (below) — red flame pattern

1996.jpg

1997 — this time with yellow flame pattern on tank

1997.JPG

1998 — Blue and grey flames on tank

1998.jpg

1999 — tank logo blue, slightly darker flame pattern with a hint of black (below)

1999.jpg

2000 — No flames this time

2000.jpg

2001 — First of the disc brakes. Two-tone seat, blue/black (the blue is slightly off in this pic, colour correction). Note the grey frame.

2001.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2002 — Pretty much the same as last year, but this time with a blue frame (below)

2002.jpg

2003 — Note the flash of yellow on the tank and side panels

2003.jpg

2004 - Note the flash of blue on the tank and side panels

2004.jpg

2005 — Subtle change to the tank decals — side panels went to black on this one

2005.jpg

2006 — Very blue

2006.jpg

2007 — Couldn’t make up its mind between blue and white

2007.jpg

2008 — Guess they settled on white this year

2008.jpg

2009 — Very smart looking, so smart in fact that they kept the colour scheme for the next two years as well

200.jpg

2010.jpg

2011.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2012 — With a hint of blue this time, same for next year as well (below)

2012.jpg

2013.jpg

2014 — Blue and black

2014.jpg

2015 — Major change to tank decals — Grey and white

2015.jpg

2016 — This time blue and white — note the grey flash on the tank

2016.jpg

2017 — Still blue and white, but now the tank flash is brown

2017.jpg

2018 — Black and brown

2018.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And if you were looking for the paint colours Yamaha used — this contribution from TWrider should help you out ……

TWrider; “It would be helpful to identify all the color codes Yamaha used on TW's ....
(On Edit : The color name is VPB Very Pale Blue for the 91-92 fenders and panels)

... Here are some

CLEAN WHITE (Early Models)
PURPLISH WHITE SOLID( White plastics, Tank 1996-)
Chappy Red - Seats covers and decals
UR FIRE RED- Frames
Competition Yellow- Gaiters (1987, 1994)
UR FARAWAY BLUE-frames, gaiters, Tank, and seat covers
ROBIN BLUE - Fenders plastics(1989)
FRENCH BLUE- Tank, Frame(94-97) , Fenders, plastics, (seat cover 1996-00)
STRONG BLUE- Tank (1992, 1993)
INK BLUE- Gaiters, Seat cover(1992, 1993)
DEEP PURPLISH BLUE METALLIC COCKTAIL(2002 FRAME) (2014 tank)
VERY PALE BLUE SOLID- Fenders, plastics (1992, 1993)
Team Yamaha Blue - (Tank 2006?)
YAMAHA BLACK Frames (plastics, tank 198:cool:
Onyx-late model seat covers?
Bluish Green solid-Seat cover, Gaiters, tank(1990)
Solid fine silver-Fenders plastics(1990)
LIQUID Silver 3- Frame (1998-01) tank, frame(2003-) code S3
STARDUST SILVER--Engine Stays, Subframe (2003-) code WL
LIQUID SILVER 3/BLACK--Tank (2003-2005)
El Toro Orange-Seat Cover(1995)
French Blue/Onyx- Seat cover (2001-02)
Sandy Beige - Fenders graphics (2018)
Mineral Blue - Fenders, Tank (2016,2017)

Some unidentified colors:
91 Purple tank, seat, and gaiters- Abbreviation is DVS, So it might be Dark Violet Solid, or Deep Violet Solid ---- 0119 DVS1 DEEP VIOLET SOLID 1 ?(found some more codes)
91 Blue seat cover on Black version might be Faraway BLUE
2006 Tank color- Team Yamaha Blue?

VPBS1
VERY PALE BLUE SOLID 1

00D8
BGS1
BLUISH GREEN SOLID 1

00E1
CPR
CHAPPY RED

DVS1
DEEP VIOLET SOLID 1

00FH
FIR
FIRE RED

00EX
IKB
INK BLUE

004M
RB
ROBIN BLUE

00G3
FBL
FRENCH BLUE

00N6
ETO
ELTORO ORANGE

00NJ
PWB
FARAWAY BLUE

--------------------------------
Europe TW125 colors

712 EU 2001 5RS1
DNGM3
DARK GRAYISH GREEN METALLIC 3

778 EU 2001 5RS1
DVMA
DARK VIOLET METALLIC A

752 EU 2001 5RS1
LYNM9
LIGHT YELLOWISH GRAY METALLIC 9”

·
Super Moderator
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not forgetting the Japanese domestic market TW225

2006-bmx-01 225.jpg 2006-bwc1-01 225.jpg 2006-drmk-01 225.jpg green 225.jpg

Or the 2007 TW225 Special edition (to mark the anniversary of the TW, and the end run of the TW225)

2007-vdvm1-01 225 se.jpg 2007-vom2-01 225 se.jpg

Not to be left out, macbig2k1 has chimed in with the European TW125 colour schemes, and is currently running a more general TW database here - TW Datenbank - Typenkatalog

tw125-1.JPG tw125-2.JPG

·
Super Moderator
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If there’s anything you want to look at or reference in the old thread, although it’s no longer a “sticky”, it’s still there http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/10362-tdubs-year-photo-collection.html

Final thanks go to photobucket, without whose greed, we would probably never have got round to doing this ……….

(If you want bigger pics, right click, “open in new tab” and most will oblige – if some don’t, apologies, but the originals didn’t either)

Enjoy …….

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
thanks to purple for redoing this thread after the beloved photoF*ckit torched so many photos and threads.
so many simple things like rim color, or forkboots can distinguish one year from the next, especially the early one. the sum of the clues usually can peg a specific year.
if it helps one person ID a basket case bike, it's all worth it.

(just FYI the original thread correctly spells "color.")
;)

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Not sure if it's OKAY to add some subtle observations but if you note the 1989 Robin egg blue model is the one and only TW that ever had Trail or Trailway on the seat cover. I have seen this years model with both just Trail and also with Trailway on the seat rather than Yamaha.

Another subtle difference between the 1994 Rainbow Warrior and the very similar 1995 model is the color of the tank TW, Yellow letters in 1994 and a blue/green in 1995.

Plastic side covers are also rather interesting with the decals over the years. I can't begin to accurately depict them all but some say Electric while others change the plastic color and still others have no decal at all.

Member Fred (Placerload) probably has the collection of the closest to museum quality TWs through the years and might be able to provide pictures of bone stock unmolested model years. Many of these minor differences will only matter to those attempting to bring back a TW to exact original quality in every aspect and I don't think any of us know for sure if Yamaha itself did not make some subtle changes within a particular model year like with the 1989 seat saying just Trail on some and Trailway on others. The picture here of the 1991 Purple version was my bike and I am not entirely sure about the side covers because I had a white cover on the left side over the air filter and a black cover on the right over the tool kit/electrics when I bought the bike. I think both covers should have been white but am not 100% sure of this.

One other thing worth mentioning in this thread is the tags on the steering head. These have a manufacturing date of the particular bike that may or may not match the model year of that bike. A bike with a label that say 4/1990 is probably a 1990 model year bike while one that has a label with 11/1990 is likely to be a 1991 model year machine. I am not aware of what month in any given year they start producing the next years models.

I am not sure if Yamaha ever produced sales brochures in every year since 1987 showing the TW and all of these subtle changes but a collection of those would be a great addition to this pictorial thread. I doubt Yamaha would even be willing to help us to amass such info but many of our members might just have these brochures from the various years. Your local Yamaha dealers might also have saved them and might be willing to provide some help with this.

GaryL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Any and all comments are welcome on this thread Gary – we only needed to keep the first seven posts together to re-instate the pictures ….. ;)
Thanks Purple for doing this. It would be great to send out the call to all members who might have the old sales brochures from the various years if they even exist. Getting them all together and posted here would be a monumental task but well worth the effort to preserve this information. Possibly a new thread calling out to the membership, Who has sales brochures from any years for our TWs?

GaryL

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
spot on gary! having all the pics at the beginning now is very helpful. thanks again purple.

so many little variations were what prompted me to start the original thread. even swing arm flames to were very diagnostic, and much less likely to be swapped, so i had those details.
purple, if i attempt to summarize the random order to the info i had previously, could you insert it into the first three postings? or would a table at the end be better?

example:
YEARFrame ColorTank ColorTank GraphicsSeat Color and LetteringFront FenderRear FenderSidecovers ColorSidecovers LetteringForkbootsRimsSwing ArmKickstarterBrakeElectricalNickname
1994Smurf blueBlueYellow TW w/ red and orange flamesRed with white YamahaBlueBlueBlue over blackElectricYellowSilverSilver w/ rainbow flamesYesdrum35 WRainbow Warrior

·
Super Moderator
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The more info on each year the better, so if you have anything to “add” to the existing comments year by year – send me an email and I’ll get to it - no need to "table" the observations, just keep it simple

As Gary has pointed out already, there’s a colour difference in the “TW” tank logos sometimes – I did start out trying to follow your original comments, but switching between the pics folder, the word doc, and the new thread and the old thread – well, my brain fell out :p

Send me the email and I’ll put the additional identifiers into the relevant post (Gary, if you have anything to add to this your welcome to chime in. I’ve sent you my email in a PM) ……

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Hope someone will put out a call to all members who might have the original sales brochures from the various years. I have never even seen a TW sales brochure but I do suspect Yamaha must have published them.

One of my other interests is in Vintage Altec Lansing audio speakers that I refurbish and re sell. There are a couple sites where I can find just about any info on any Altec speaker that was ever made and those sales brochures are an invaluable source of info.

BTW, LT should certainly have the brochure for the 1987 year model but it would likely be Bogus like most of his other 1987 claims!:eek:

GaryL

·
Registered
457 Posts
Could it be notated in the pictures about the other changes that were made in the 2001 model year such as kick starter going away and the change to a cv carburator as well. Seems to come up time and time again. it would make a good reference and I think newcomers as i did comb this list pretty well early on. Just a thought. Thanks for this effort.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Awesome Post.

Diggin' those green Japanese TW's.

The US 2005 looks Classy. And the US '88 Black Widow is always a favorite of mine. Would look really nice with the later black wheels.

I still love my 2017 though. :)

Reactions: RoadVirus

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thank you for all these,
as the owner of a couple TW's I appreciate seeing all the variants.
Yamaha Trailway's are the motorcycles equivalent to the Boeing B-52 Stratofortess.
It's not the fastest, the best handling or the prettiest, however as you've shown us for 32 years they needed very few changes.
My 1987 TW is as much fun to ride as my new dirt bikes plus I return home with less bumps, bruises and breaks. Slower is safer!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks for posting. Honestly the 18 is about my favorite, otherwise it would have to go to 96/97.
It's really funny you say that. I almost bought a clean 1996 I found on Craig's List but then saw the 2018 over at Bert's Mega Mall. I had to have it!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts