TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Surly, that is wonderful. It is hard to imagine someone with enough nerve to offer a design like that to the public after realizing such an 'operational sensitivity'. Perhaps this is why Honda trikes turned into Honda quads. Wonder if the Corvair or the small Suzuki Samari's were this sensitive to crashing. Well the good thing was, the rig was pretty easy to set upright. Thanks again. Gerry

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Consumer Reports faked the rollovers which killed off the Samurai way back in '88.

Suzuki won its lawsuit against them. The fake was blatent , even to the absurd 9th Circuit
. Never really made the news, did it? After their broadcast in '88 Suzuki couldn't give one away.

Ditto for the Corvair. Ralph Nader was looking to make a name for himself. He did. My first 7 cars were Corvairs. I got most of them for free thanks to Ralph. I built them with as much as 200hp and drove them to the limits scvarcvely tucking a wheel. After the revisions GM was forced to make by dear ol' Ralph people like John Fitch and the folks at Yenko were doing quite well going after Porsches racing these inexpensive, "unsafe" cars. Too late. By then Chevy couldn't give them away.

The Robin clearly had a glaring "problem", day One. Its owners learned to drive accordingly, and continued to buy it for the value it represented for their purposes, by choice. It was registered and taxed as a motorcycle, was relatively inexpensive, and enjoyed an 18 year run at a time when we in The States had lost all of our practical cars and were dealing with butt-ugly 5 mph bumpers that didn't work, and big V8's castrated to 80hp.

Yet we consider the U.K. a laughable nanny state?

Sorry for the rant. LOL. Guess I can't resist "orphan" vehicles.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The Reliant Robin is a good example of how our attitude used to be.....

If you go to fast and crash it's your misjudgment and your fault.

I like it that way, everything has its limits.

In the nineties we saw the 'Blame and Claim' culture emerge.

Some say this followed the trend in the USA.

'Health and Safety at Work' regulations has become ridiculous and unbearable.

A stupid thing here is 'Black Visors'

Anybody with half a brain can see that it is risky to use one at dusk or at night.

A lot of the visors are illegal in day time and night time but the Police turned a blind eye....until...

Two years ago a rider had a serious accident. He blamed the dark visor and sued the motorbike shop that sold it to him.

Now the Police have cracked down the the black visor, even in daytime.

I take a clear visor with me in a hip bag when I'm riding just in case.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Here are my top two Top Gear skits

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohkAxbeMxVo[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJfSS0ZXYdo&feature=channel[/media]

Edit: Well the links worked for a half day

1 - 8 of 8 Posts