TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
camera.jpeg monitor.jpeg

I mounted a handle bar toggle switch (Amazon $20.00) wired straight to the battery (hot and ground). I got a retrofit back up camera (eBay $25,00). I mounted the camera under my license plate on my reflector. Used a ram ball/perch mount from my mirror for my monitor. Use the ram mount with the 9mm hole. I keep the monitor in a weatherproof GPS case. Route your wires real neat with loom and heat shrink. When you are done, you will notice the view on the monitor is reversed. The internet says cut the green wire in the camera loom. I did that and got a crazy rearview parking graphic. I repaired the green wire. I cut the white wire and there it was perfect. Just something to do on a 23 degree day with seven inches of snow. The mirrors are a joke compared to this screen. The job was less than $50.00. The job a lot of fun. I love having a reason to tear this bike apart.

·
Super Moderator
17,998 Posts
That is a cool idea...

·
Registered
209 Posts
View attachment 165657 View attachment 165665

I mounted a handle bar toggle switch (Amazon $20.00) wired straight to the battery (hot and ground). I got a retrofit back up camera (eBay $25,00). I mounted the camera under my license plate on my reflector. Used a ram ball/perch mount from my mirror for my monitor. Use the ram mount with the 9mm hole. I keep the monitor in a weatherproof GPS case. Route your wires real neat with loom and heat shrink. When you are done, you will notice the view on the monitor is reversed. The internet says cut the green wire in the camera loom. I did that and got a crazy rearview parking graphic. I repaired the green wire. I cut the white wire and there it was perfect. Just something to do on a 23 degree day with seven inches of snow. The mirrors are a joke compared to this screen. The job was less than $50.00. The job a lot of fun. I love having a reason to tear this bike apart.
Creative mod. I like it. Did you include the “Ram ball perch mount” in $50 total?

#GYG
'13 TW200

A.T.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes. Kit was camera and monitor for $25.00. Instructions in Chinese. One of those manila packages wrapped in clear tape with Chinese writing on it. It always looks like heroine is being delivered to the house. I had the Ram ball mount. I was originally going to use the GPS case for a GPS on another bike. The GPS case was also a few dollars. I had it for another bike and is a much higher quality part than otherwise needed. I bought the perch with 9mm hole off Amazon for about $12.00. I hate having new in box parts sitting around in my fifties. You know what I mean? When you die they get thrown out or given away. The monitor comes with own mounting set up. I broke it off with pliers and cleaned the wound with a Dremel drum sander.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Yes. Kit was camera and monitor for $25.00. Instructions in Chinese. One of those manila packages wrapped in clear tape with Chinese writing on it. It always looks like heroine is being delivered to the house. I had the Ram ball mount. I was originally going to use the GPS case for a GPS on another bike. The GPS case was also a few dollars. I had it for another bike and is a much higher quality part than otherwise needed. I bought the perch with 9mm hole off Amazon for about $12.00. I hate having new in box parts sitting around in my fifties. You know what I mean? When you die they get thrown out or given away. The monitor comes with own mounting set up. I broke it off with pliers and cleaned the wound with a Dremel drum sander.
Any links to products used?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
That’s a cool, unique mod for a reasonable price. I’m sure you’re looking forward to getting it on the road/trail. Cheers

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Parts:
Toggle Switch: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JGRAP3K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Camera/Monitor: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-4-3-TFT-LCD-Display-Screen-Monitor-170-HD-Rear-View-Camera-Kit-WaterProof/122848239315?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144
Perch Mount: https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Motorcycle-Base-Hole-1-Inch/dp/B0012TRIY4/ref=lp_2599345011_1_15?srs=2599345011&ie=UTF8&qid=1522602404&sr=8-15
Ram Mount: https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Composite-Double-Socket-1-Inch/dp/B0074WMQLS/ref=lp_2599345011_1_1?srs=2599345011&ie=UTF8&qid=1522602404&sr=8-1
GPS Case: https://www.amazon.com/ChargerCity-Resistant-Garmin-DriveSmart-connection/dp/B01B5A38MA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1522602631&sr=1-1&keywords=ChargerCity+XXL+Water+Resistant+5"+GPS+Case+for+Garmin+Nuvi+Drive+DriveSmart+50+51+52+54+55+56+57+58+2597+2595+2599+LM+LMT+TomTom+XL+3xx+XXL+5xx+GO+VIA+Start+GPS+w/+1"+male+ball+connection
This case is far nicer than the job calls for, but I had all the parts lying around, so I used them. It is a very nice case. Extremely versatile.

The rest is hardware/fabricating/crimps/loom/heatshrink etc. Just do the job your way. It is ok to cut the back of the monitor up to fit in the case. Nobody will call the cops. NOTE: YOU MUST CUT THE WHITE WIRE. If you do not cut the white wire your image is reversed. It is a very thin wire. It is a loop on the camera harness with a green wire. Never cut the cable for the camera. If you cut the green one, you get a funny surprise...then repair the wire.

Will his earn me a "Sticky?"

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
you get kudos for creativity, would be good on a street version, but I would guess a few days on a rough trail will leave you staring at a blank screen. for my my $ cant beat this one:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1034/48608/Double-Take-Enduro-Mirror-Kit?v=15546&s=1026086&gclid=CjwKCAjw75HWBRAwEiwAdzefxGjgz3GzAVZpbx7vPrt3h0M3f_ciSb3W0POSV8GnXg93O0No9TuDARoC9-8QAvD_BwE

had them for 10 years on my XRL650 30k miles off road never broke one stays where you put them love them! they are being transferred to my TW right now!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I admit it has not been trail tested. You made me think that I should disconnect it from the ball mount and store it in a saddle bag when on the dirt. OR...just test it with trail riding and falls for a stress test and let you know how it holds up until next winter. Thanks for the insight. I have folding mirrors on the bike and I am happy with them. I just wanted to ad TV. Nobody really needs it. We just got another 14 inches of snow and it is barely in the positive numbers here. I am just looking for something to do. The bike comes apart and goes together entirely too easy. I have a plastic tank. There is nothing to scratch. I should really stay away from the bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts