TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I sold my TW a month ago. I was made an offer that was actually too good to pass up. Thus, I have been racking my brains as to what to buy as a bike next? I am open to any and all suggestions. Thus far I have come across the following possibilities:

Ramblings od a Mad Biker! In Search of Mr. T's Replacement!

If there is a bike that I haven't thought about feel free to chime in. My purchase date is for 2015. Thanks and ride safe!

BSJ

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah, the Ducati Scrambler in the "Classic" model is what I want. I love the Yamaha SR400 but would rather just find a late 70's SR500 but then I already have a 74TX500 so Ducati it is! But I'm broke. All my money is going into a new (to me) TW200 buy. It was either pay cash for a Tdub or put a large down on a Ducati Scrambler next year and have payments. Since I already have two road bikes and have been chomping at the bits for over a year now for a TW200, the obvious choice was made.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't forget about Ducati's new Scrambler that's coming out in 2015

Scrambler Ducati - Scramblerducati.com
:blob3:: Greeeat! Another bike to obsess over! Thanks for having such great taste in bikes and giving me another sleepless night in ponderation. Though, this is exactly what I wished the TW200 could have been! So yes, for under ten grand too.... you can bet I'll be heading over to the dealership for a test drive! What a fantastic looking bike in all it's trims! :icon_thumbright:

·
Registered
173 Posts
:blob3:: Greeeat! Another bike to obsess over! Thanks for having such great taste in bikes and giving me another sleepless night in ponderation. Though, this is exactly what I wished the TW200 could have been! So yes, for under ten grand too.... you can bet I'll be heading over to the dealership for a test drive! What a fantastic looking bike in all it's trims! :icon_thumbright:
When I first got site of the Scrambler. I couldn't sleep that night. I was crunching numbers trying to figure out if I could scrape up the cash for one. I have wanted to take an old Honda XL350 from the 70's and build a bike like this scrambler. What Ducati did was take my vision of a build and make it new. I give myself another year or two and I hope to have one in the stable. No other new bike out there makes me drool as does this Scrambler.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Weighing in late, I can attest to the sheer undecidedness of new bike shopping.

If I were considering the bikes listed in your blog post, and the original criteria, I would go Moto Guzzi V7 all day long.
I've ridden the V7 racer, as well as Triumphs' Scrambler and Bonnie, (I preferred the Bonnie of the two, as I felt perched up high on the Scrambler for some reason)

The convenience of shaft-drive on the V7, all metal bodywork, host of parts and accesories to make her yours and (apparently) easy to work on engine are all major plusses.

I haven't ridden any of the others, but hope to ride the FZ's soon, aaaand I am also drooling over the Ducati Scrambler, but recent complications in Ducati's structuring and dealer network here in South Africa make that impossible for us at least, for a while yet.

Goodluck and keep us posted on your decision.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I called a Ducati dealer and ask when they expected to receive a Scrambler. They answered late summer 2015. It's just Eye Candy for me at this point.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Motorcycle Fever is in full swing now... I think my biggest problem (likely most peoples problem when I think about it) is that I cannot afford to buy a new bike every few years. So this is a big purchase and in the end, it has to be a decision that I will live with for years to come especially if I reluctantly finance the bike or part of rather.

Weighing in late, I can attest to the sheer undecidedness of new bike shopping.

If I were considering the bikes listed in your blog post, and the original criteria, I would go Moto Guzzi V7 all day long.
I've ridden the V7 racer, as well as Triumphs' Scrambler and Bonnie, (I preferred the Bonnie of the two, as I felt perched up high on the Scrambler for some reason)

The convenience of shaft-drive on the V7, all metal bodywork, host of parts and accesories to make her yours and (apparently) easy to work on engine are all major plusses.
I keep coming back to the Moto Guzzi as well. Really classy bike. The dealer in my area refused to let me take one out for a spin though this summer. Short sighted really... probably would have had me scrambling for financing right there and then. There are so many great bikes to choose from but the Guzzi certainly does check off my criteria, doesn't it? I feel like a guy with cold feet before a big purchase... ARGH! Would like to sit on that Ducati and fondle her handlebars for a while before I make the decision though.

Thanks for the great advice! Now if I can just distract my wife long enough to pull out a deposit from our account.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you are wanting to stay in the Yamaha family, I cannot over state how wonderful my WR250R rides. Compared to my Tdub, it is light years ahead in technology. While it is only a 250 it rides like a much more powerful bike. It has 6 speeds and can cruise on the freeway at 70+mph. I have mine geared low (50t rear sprocket) and it can climb anything I dare to climb. Fuel injected too!
20140217_110950.jpg

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
If you are wanting to stay in the Yamaha family, I cannot over state how wonderful my WR250R rides. Compared to my Tdub, it is light years ahead in technology. While it is only a 250 it rides like a much more powerful bike. It has 6 speeds and can cruise on the freeway at 70+mph. I have mine geared low (50t rear sprocket) and it can climb anything I dare to climb. Fuel injected too!
View attachment 10726
Love this bike and it was one I considered seriously. Just too tall for me at the time. I felt as though I needed to be able to plant both feet flat at a stop.

Tom

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
View attachment 10726
Honestly, I never thought of going below 500cc as the TW200 struggled to even get to 90ish (55mph)... something to think about. I could definitely see and appreciate the "fun factor" with that bike.

·
Registered
166 Posts
But what is the "mission"? That helps me make a decision. All road or do you still want a dually? Like the Triumph big time! But I also like the Honda CB1100. I'm in a nostalgia stage of motorcycle life at the moment. 59 y/o and hoping to ride up to the day before I croak. Hell Malcom Forbes rode his Harley till he was 73 and died that same year.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Well at least you are not rushing in. I attend every demo ride possible and ride just about anything I get a chance to but I don't even bother with Harleys, cruisers or Goldwings anymore as they do absolutely nothing for me. I really try not to choose a bike based on how it looks but how it feels to ride and the only bikes that stand out from last summer are the Honda CB500X Suzuki 650 V-strom and you won't believe it but the Suzuki GW250. Part of the fun of motorcycles for me is searching for that "perfect bike" but so far I find it very hard to beat the combination of my TW200 and my FZ6. I love power but in Ontario 50 km/hr (30mph) over the speed limit is considered "street racing"..... I just looked this up
If you are charged for speeding at 50 km/h over the speed limit, police will suspend your licence and impound your vehicle at the roadside.
Penalties for street racing, stunt driving and driving 50 km/h or over the speed limit
Pre-conviction – Immediate 7-day licence suspension and 7-day vehicle impoundment
Upon conviction - $2,000 to $10,000 fine, 6 demerit points, up to 6 months jail, up to 2 years licence suspension for a first conviction
Second offence – Driver licence suspension up to 10 years within 10 years of first conviction

Holy crap I'm sticking to my TW!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
toma55: The mission is to explore every road, be it paved or not! ;) I want an all rounder motorcycle. Something that could work for commuting as well as it can for long distance rides. Like yourself, I have been really into retro classics as of late and cannot deny that it is where I am likely heading. I never ascribed to the theory that I need a Goldwing, per se, to do everything I want to do. Not least of all because I like my bikes light and slim.

Holdnon72: It's on my radar... I am actually going to the Montreal Motorcycle Show at the end of February to see all the delicious variety of motorcycles on hand. Unfortunately I shan't get a chance to ride one but sitting on them will be telling of which direction I will be taking. Great looking bike and cheap to boot...

Peterb: The cops in Quebec are just as strict about speed limits. Not interested in speed (though admittedly, a bike with the power to do so does bring out the speed demon in me from time to time!) so I am trying to be level headed about my purchase. I have written off the FZ09 and FZ07 because of this very reason. Too tempting and lets face it, I'd probably get myself killed. As for cruisers, I agree. I have been turned off of for the most part as well, mainly by the stereotypical nature being emphasized for most cruiser models. Still though, I'm having a hard time turning my cheek from such models as the Indian Scout, Sporstster 48 and 72 and I am a sucker for a good bobbed or cafe racer model. (i.e. Yamaha Bolt CSPEC for example). Heck, I even considered the FZ09 touring model but in the end, decided that it would still be the end of me, albeit in a less assuming package.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
SR400 will do all you wish. Maybe mount some more aggressive rubber and add a few teeth to the wheel sprocket, but as long as it's a road, any lightweight street bike will handle it. I'm leaning more and more to the SR400 for my next daily rider as its light weight is better suited to the little back roads around here than heavier bikes. My reading seems to describe a TW200-like character on skinny tires. At least tires will be cheap and easier to change.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts