TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,495 Posts
Follow the manufacturer's instructions. I would just order the proper service kit or oil online. K&N filters are usually not of foam medium. Some have used regular engine oil on foam filters, but if you've every used actual foam filter oil, it is much tackier. Cleaning & Oiling : Uni Filter

The holes in the filter cover are usually done by folks that ride at very high altitudes. The holes should be taped off for normal use, but then can be exposed as needed during ascension.

· Registered
2021 TW
874 Posts
I use bel-ray filter oil on mine. Works fine and its what the moto shop had in stock.Any foam filter oil will work.
For cleaning dawn dish soap or tide laundry soap works fine as well. Soak,squeeze,rinse and let air dry.Then put the filter and some oil in a baggy and squish it around.
I believe you even can get foam filter oil at wal-mart.

· Registered
23,849 Posts
I've used the K&N filter oil with success on the TW stock and UNI foam air filters. Same for many other filter oils. If the K&N is what you find then use it without worry.
My advice is just not to over oil the filter. I would not follow things like the YouTube YamaLube video where they use almost a whole pint bottle of Yamalube, I think they just wanted to sell lots of their product. Pint bottle should be good for at least 10 filter cycles. Spray filter oils work well and can have less wastage. I like to squeeze the oiled filter with paper towels untill hardly any more oil can be pulled out by dry paper towel. Goal is to just wet the fiter's pores margins, not to fill the pores.

· Registered
2001 TW200, '89 carb
78 Posts
The holes are a modification done if one thinks their carburetor is running poorly due to intake restriction, letting it "breathe better". Not that it doesn't work in certain cases, just that there's probably other issues (aftermarket exhaust, incorrect pilot/main jet for altitude, maladjusted pilot jet).

· Premium Member
185 Posts
I wouldn't use K+N oil on any other filter. It's too thin and designed for the cotton paper stuff they use.

• Haha
Reactions: miniman
1 - 9 of 9 Posts