TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an XT200 (1982), same engine as the TW200. Other than the engine, not much is the same, so I'm not sure anyone will be able to help. I took off the seat, air filter box, gas tank. Then I notice this rubber part lying on the ground. I can't figure out where it came from. Any Ideas?

Photo of Part

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Hmmm? Not a clue. I'm guessing here, but maybe a pad to prevent squeaking where the seat rests on the frame?

·
Registered
540 Posts
my swag is a rubber bumper/damper, look around for a slot that looks like it will accommidate the thinner side or look for something that has a rub mark on it like the fatter side

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Believe it or not, it goes on the lower headlight mount. How it got under your seat is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Believe it or not, it goes on the lower headlight mount. How it got under your seat is anyone's guess.

Thanks! I'll see if I can find a place for it there. It would be funny if the lower headlight mount already has one, and that this one is one they lost at the factory and only got found now.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
If yours has the round headlight, disregard. If it has the square one, the grommet goes fat side down on the underside of your headlight bezel then slips over a tab on the fork-mounted headlight bracket. Tw's and XT250's, 350's and 600's have the same grommet. They're usually long gone.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I just looked at a parts diagram for the headlight of my XT200 and I do not see it there. I'll inspect the XT200 when I get home this evening and see if it indeed goes there somewhere.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If yours has the round headlight, disregard. If it has the square one, the grommet goes fat side down on the underside of your headlight bezel then slips over a tab on the fork-mounted headlight bracket. Tw's and XT250's, 350's and 600's have the same grommet. They're usually long gone.

Mine has a round headlight.

·
Registered
701 Posts
How about I throw another spin on this, which is a more likely candidate: I have lots of these show up in my driveway.

Pick whichever car you own that has drum brakes in the rear, and put the rubber part (inspection/adjustment plug) back in the drum backing plate before you ruin your brakes or lose the plug

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How about I throw another spin on this, which is a more likely candidate: I have lots of these show up in my driveway.

Pick whichever car you own that has drum brakes in the rear, and put the rubber part (inspection/adjustment plug) back in the drum backing plate before you ruin your brakes or lose the plug

You solved the mystery! My Subaru Forester has disc brakes on front and back, but the parking brake is a drum brake. A few weeks ago I replaced the wheel bearing on the right back wheel. by removing that little grommet you can adjust your parking brakes. That little grommet has been lying on the floor unseen until I take apart my XT200. Thanks for your good eye.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Good! now come do the wheel bearing on the 95 impreza thats been on jack stands in my driveway for too long!
Glad you got it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts