TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else get an unsolicited e-mail that says it is from the forum?
I just noticed an e-mail that says it is from the forum. It is listed as coming out of Toronto.
It does list topics from the forum and says it is something like "recent highlights".

Don't know if we have been hacked; and clicking on anything could release a virus or install spyware.
I did not click on anything.

Would guess that if it was legit - the forum would have let us know on the forum first.
If it turns out to be legit; will clicking the "unsubscribe" spot on the page stop them from coming through -
or do I need to block everything from tw200forum altogether?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I received one a few months ago, nothing since.

It contained a summary of recent topics but nothing else.

jb

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Yes, I got one earlier this evening. It starts with the thread "Health Problems Sad News" and it looks to be the thread in its entirety if you were to click "see more" and 117 posts.
And then every topic after. Kinda weird, Deleted it.

Came in at 5:40pm EST

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
That doesn't sound right... something's up.
Yes, I got one earlier this evening. It starts with the thread "Health Problems Sad News" and it looks to be the thread in its entirety if you were to click "see more" and 117 posts.
And then every topic after. Kinda weird, Deleted it.

Came in at 5:40pm EST

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
I'm 99.9% that isn't from the company. Hopefully it doesn't contain anything bad by opening it.

I would recommend deleting them and not opening them.
Received one. The preview was same as stated above, a summary beginning with the Health Problem thread. Deleted and blocked sender.

The reply address was [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
It’s been doing the rounds on several forums – “[email protected] is a new newsletter platform that was released on our network. It should have looked something like this format” (Just got this email, not PM and am wondering if it's legit)

Nothing in my email yet, so I can’t “explore” it further

Recommend you mark this as “spam” and do not click on it until we get conformation as to whether it’s legit

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Perhaps Russians for kicking out all those spies, thought their only retaliation was kicking out all our spies? Now coming down hard on TW owners, Oh The Humanity.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
It’s been doing the rounds on several forums – “[email protected] is a new newsletter platform that was released on our network. It should have looked something like this format” (Just got this email, not PM and am wondering if it's legit)

Nothing in my email yet, so I can’t “explore” it further

Recommend you mark this as “spam” and do not click on it until we get conformation as to whether it’s legit
you are saying it was released on this forum and now it is into our personal information, just great. i guess we have been hacked!!

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
send something ( crap) back to them. i'm going to

i tried and it didn't work. email address looks familiar to the outfit that took us over!!
It's supposed too - and by responding, you then validate your email contact

We're looking into it - until then, my earlier recommendation stands

Put it into your spam folder and ignore it - any interaction is just asking for it .......

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
you are saying it was released on this forum and now it is into our personal information, just great. i guess we have been hacked!!
Nope - I'm saying that in the opinion of "that" boards admin it has been "released" - we're still waiting to hear from our VSAdmin as to how true that is on "this" board

It's all in the detail ......

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
A little advice to folks who receive crap email.

Only open and click "Unsubscribe" if the email is from a company that is completely legitimate, say for instance if you wanted to unsubscribe from Cabella's news letter...

Opening & unsubscribing from unrecognized companies or organizations is a way for a scam outfit to confirm that there is a living person at that email address & you will become a valuable target for crap advertising. They will then sell your address to other crap advertisers, & you see where this all leads... So just mark all that crap as "spam" and let the spam filters deal with it. It won't stop, they use a shotgun approach and will load a new shell (ad) from a different url the next day, or week, etc.

I realize many of you already knew about this, but many do not. My 2 cents. Happy Easter :cool: m.

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
OK folks – relax – it’s one of ours

Just heard from VSAdmin that “Threadloom is our new method of giving out newsletters. This is not a hack or anything” – “We are pleased to announce we are implementing a new method in which we send out site newsletters. The new newsletter will have a cleaner template and will send out one of two versions once a week. One version is for active forum members and the other is sent to inactive members. This change will not have any negative impact on members receiving newsletter and will not impact the site with any downtime”

Apparently we should have had some warning, but the message got lost along the way

If you don’t want it, consign it to spam, or unsubscribe, whatever works for you. I haven’t had this “yet”, so can’t advise further, but I’ll update as I receive more information – but it is intentional, and can be presumed “safe” to interact with

Thanks for bringing it to the mods attention, and for being patient while we investigated …….

·
Administrator
412 Posts
Hey there, seems like the announcement of this new newsletter did not go through.
I will post the announcement here.

Hello,

We are pleased to announce we will be implementing a new method to send out site newsletters. The new newsletter will have a cleaner template and will be sent to participating forum members once a week. We have added an example below of how it will look. This change will not have any negative impact to current newsletters and will not lead to any site downtime. If you have any questions please post them below.

http://i66.tinypic.com/i1i5ns.jpghttp://i67.tinypic.com/20uy7na.jpg

Thank you

Community Support
Ed

1 - 20 of 48 Posts