TW200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been away for a while since before the forum blew up.

Back in June I was riding in the Olympic National Forest recon ing some trails for a group of Ural sidehackers.

Ahead was a serious puddle. Not knowing the depth I stopped and looked it over, then decided to go. It was chocolate pudding with a little water on top and I had the Bridgestone 203 and 204 tires on. In the middle I hit what was either a snot covered boulder or the skull of the last rider on this trail. She slewed and before I could regain equalibrium I was down and in severe pain with my right leg trapped under the machine and face down in the mud.

I worked my leg out and saw that it was turned around backwards at the foot. This worried me so I turned it around forward, yes it smarted a lot.

Since i had already told every bear for miles around that there was something wounded in the forest, (screaming does that you know), I decided that I should get away to some where else.

I was riding alone and so had no help. I do not remember how I got the bike up onto its kick stand, strength of desperation I suppose, but I used the bike for support and got up out of the mud and stood on one foot holding onto the bike.

I was on a trail that probably sees about one human a month and realized that the only help was going to be what I did for myself. With great pain I got the foot over the saddle and put it on the peg. Yes that hurt too. The engine started at a touch of the button.(Bless that little thing).

I momentarily balanced and heeled up the stand, then revved and kicked into gear letting out the clutch. I began to make forward progress in low gear albiet with much pain from the leg.

My intention was to get to civilization and cell phone for help. As the trail improved, I went into second gear and worked my way to one of the forest service roads. After about five miles or so I was on a paved road and rolling along at about 30 MPH. When I got to Highway 101 instead of stopping I just went on the twenty five miles to home. I figured the damage was done and I wanted to get the bike home too.

About 5 miles from home, I stopped and cell phoned a friend to meet me at my home. I made it home and stopped and got the stand down. I got my leg over the bike and sort of slithered down to the ground. I was belly crawling to the garage when my friend arrived. He first went into the garage and got my wheel chair left over from a previous problem. Getting me into it he went into the house and found my plastic cast from when I had knee surgery. He also brought me a bottle of oxycodone and a cup of water.

While I lunched on oxycodones he used the plastic cast to imobilize the foot and then drove me to a hospital.

Xrays and the doctor confirmed what my pain had told me. The leg bone was broken down near the ankle.

Well I was back in the wheelchair and on crutches for a week until I could crutch my way to the garage and throw a leg over the saddle of one of my sidecar machines.

I was mobile again!

This was the first and only time I have ever been down on a TW. I have had three of them over the years and put on a lot of very rough miles on each. 21 thousand on the first one. These are dependable but as I found, not infallable. The original knobbies may have prevented the accident but it is past now and I wasn't eaten by a bear.

I ahve healed up and moved. I now live in the middle of the Pacific Ocean at about 20 degrees latitude and 155 degrees longitude. I still have the TW and the two sidecar rigs and ride every day. In much better weather.

Aloha from Hawi, Hawaii.

Phelonius

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Good to hear you are still rolling along. Sure do have to approach those puddles with caution. Even trying to skirt the edges can be difficult as there always seems to be a slight slope that tires seldom hold very well. Gerry

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Wow, Thats the accident that none of us want to think can happen. I had a similar break resulting in titanium screws and plates that still reside in my ankle, but mine was from a cornering accident on a bicycle. How you got the kickstand down with your right ankle so severely broken is more than I can imagine unless you were quick enough to do it while bike is balanced (or you had the handlebar firmly grasped in your teeth so you could moderate the pain). Best wishes for the recovery. I'm convinced that riding a bike (pedal bike) was critical to regaining the total flexibility of my ankle, so ride them all but flex that ankle alot. Hawaii is good motorcycle country but watch that traffic and the sudden onset rain showers. Good luck. Tom

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't say tough. Hell I screamed like a little girl when it broke. I simply had two choices, stay there and rot for the bears or ride out.

After all, I couldn't walk. No cell phone service in that part of the woods. If I tried to crawl for 5 miles, the leg was going to hurt, if I rode the bike the leg was going to hurt.

Pretty simple choice actually.

As for getting the kickstand down when I got home, I did that by stopping next to a Ford van and leaning on it while I put it down.

I still don't remember how I got the bike up on the stand in the mud hole, probably because I was distracted by the pain.

However,I am 6' 5" and strong upper body with long reach. That probably helped.

BTW I haven't figured this site out yet. My profile page seems pissed at me for not filling it out. I will do so when I learn how.

Phelonius

BTW I see the sign. I used to ride the desert too. I hate running over rattlesnakes, their teeth puncture the tires.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Wow that is some story. Glad you survived the ordeal.

I remember when I got my first atv some 11 years ago. I was at a riding area in Illinois. There was a mud puddle. I wanted to go through it, but with better judgement I just hung back and waited for another sucker. There was no problem riding around it.

Along comes a sport quad, I swear it almost disappeared. After a couple of days at this riding area I found out why it was so deep. All of those young wreckless types would get it the hole anddo donuts around it throwing out all the mud.

Thus the deep whole.

I have 2 other stories, I will post sometime, but they are not tw related, as I just got mine this summer.

I did fall off mine a couple of weeks ago. I thought the kickstand was all the way down, and it wasn't. I landed on a picnic table. Worst thing is my wife was setting out there.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
And I thought breaking my foot on a rock while riding through a creekbed was bad.

Ouch! I'm with Xracer on this one, you do deserve the "Grit" award!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts