TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have done multiple "upside down forks, USD, inverted" style forks swaps and they typically have a night & day feels to each other.

That said you need have to take a lot of different things into consideration to achieve this conversion and most of the stock/factory front end parts need to be changed out.

Read this ......

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/why-things-are-inverted-forks

·
Registered
3,364 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
have you done the swap on your tudub?
Yes I have. I finished it up this spring in my build thread ..... but the photobucket BS kinda ruined the threads content. I hope to have the time to go back through and individually update each image eventually.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/performance-customization/19693-heli-mechs-tw200-build-thread.html

Here is my 1991 TW200 with a WR400 front forks/triples/wheel/brake setup. I had to machine a upper steering stem adapter, modify the steering stop on the frame and use a combo of TW200 and WR400 steering stem bearings to make it all work. The 21" wheel and long travel forks allow me to run trails at much higher speeds then before and it rides/behaves excellent.

20170630_195319.jpg

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Okay, it's time to set the record straight. All TWs came with upside down forks, as did almost all bikes made in the late fifties or newer.
In the early days of hydraulic forks, nearly all bikes were manufactured with the small diameter tube in the bottom position with the cylinder part above.
This was because before hydraulic forks came along they were with the smaller diameter at the bottom. I don't know why, they just were.
When it was discovered that doing them with the hydraulic cylinder at the bottom allowed less leakage, they began making them the way they now are.
Hence for decades we have been riding on upside down forks until we all forgot how they were in years gone by. Before that they were springer forks and girder forks
And some weird designs that were tried.
So don't call the new types upsidown. They are not. They are a return to he original style with better seals and hydraulics.

·
Super Moderator
17,998 Posts
Go ahead and post the fix please.
Off Topic-But There is a Photobucket Embedded Image Fix for Google Chrome created by a rider over at ADV. It's an add on and it works. PM me for the link, or alternatively-with permission from the mods, I can post it here. It's free.

·
Registered
13,662 Posts
Off Topic-But There is a Photobucket Embedded Image Fix for Google Chrome created by a rider over at ADV. It's an add on and it works. PM me for the link, or alternatively-with permission from the mods, I can post it here. It's free.
Go ahead and post the fix please.

I've posted the photobucket thread in a couple places here on the forum already. However, it's easy to miss or not find something on the forum.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/test-forum/50209-photobucket-photo-fix-chrome-firefox-browser-users.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts