TW200 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well I learned my lesson buying a Ural. Getting a sidecar with 2 wheel drive on a KLR or DR650 would be perfect. To bad no other company could step up and build one. I think there is a big market for one. Ural can continue building crap because they have NO COMPETITION.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well I learned my lesson buying a Ural. Getting a sidecar with 2 wheel drive on a KLR or DR650 would be perfect. To bad no other company could step up and build one. I think there is a big market for one. Ural can continue building crap because they have NO COMPETITION.

I considerd the two wheel drive aspect, but in the big picture, decided it wasnt reason enough to get a ural over putting a car on an H-D or almost anything else that was common to add sidecars to.Yes, a two wheel drive adaptation would be cool, but may not be entirely required. Many people ride their rigs all year without.

My frame had a front receiver hitch, I added one to the back, and will get a Warn ATV winch that can be switched to front or back as needed. Besides getting the rig out of a ditch or mud, it could be used to load it or get back out of something I wouldnt be able to move it with my gimpy back. I will also be able to pull a small motorcycle cargo trailer for extra camp or travel junk. There was a pic of the guy towing his canoe with his sidecar rig. Pretty funny. Other pics show guys pulling light motorcycle trailers with a broken down bike or their dirt bike on it.

For anyone curious about other options, if this isnt current when you see it, just go to the last few pages to see whats up most recently. Tons of bikes of all sorts already set up for the most part.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/fs-fleabay-cl-stuff-goes-here.492526/page-770

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had a winch on mine, I also added 2nd battery for operating winch with switch to turn battery on and off. I also wired it to main battery in order to jump start if needed and for charging it.
I used mine to go off road for hunting and fishing in remote areas and so dog could g along.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I will probably end up with a second battery as well. Theres a winch mount that stands it up vertically instead of horizontally, so it sits between the car and bike, where it looks like you had your battery in an ammo can. My receiver hitch socket is on the front end of the frame on the inside (bike side) of the sidecar frame.

https://silodrome.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Ural-Sidecar-Motorcycles-11.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ural's are the perfect FUN RIG if they weren't such a POS.
I think in many of these discussions we can safely substitute the word sidecar for Ural, when talking the good and fun points. Theres a lot of people with Hondas, BMWs, Kawasakis, Yamahas, Triumphs, H-Ds, and about any other make of bike you can think of, to include Vespa scooters that would agree how fun sidecars are.

Was just looking into tire chains for bikes for those times traction may be an issue. A couple guys on the adv forum built their own chains for dirt bikes. Seems like it would help overcom the traction deficit in snowy or muddy situations for the majority of bikes that dont have 2wd with their sidecar rigs. Theres also various reverse add-ons available for different bikes, though if one wanted to lose a gear in a 4 speed H-D trans you can build them with reverse, or get one of the bolt on reverse kits that goes in the kicker cover.

I think ill try making at least a rear chain for times when out on dirt roads and unexpected weather makes riding interesting.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Good Grief, this is still going on? Ha. Did your fingers ever get you over to Soviet Steeds?

"Know that anything made by Man, breaks, but URAL stands by their warranty like no other brand I've known!"

THIS (above) is true and sadly the way almost all companies used to be. These guys at least here in the US have to try harder because they are selling a pretty unique product that ain't exactly space-age technology. And when I think Ural I think of the one-piece models (Patrol & Gear-Up). Those bikes cannot be split from their Hacks... it's a one-piece hunk of steel and aluminum bolted to a steel frame, 4 forward speeds & reverse, 2-wheel drive.

The other models are nice too but personally if it wasn't for the above I'd have done what that fellow is doing mating a hack to his Harley. Or a custom hack to a KLR for that matter if off-road was what I was going to do. Or invest in a real vintage BMW with a hack.

OP, there is a Fall gathering in the Pine Barrens on (I believe) the weekend of Oct. 15th. This is all camping and off-road with dinners and lunches wherever the group decides to go. Ride down on a bike or in your car and see what these things are capable of up close. Sometimes they might not come out of those woods under their own power on occasion (neither do some Jeeps for that matter). But mostly they do and the guys push these things way beyond the envelope most folks would imagine. Personal mods and upgrades abound making them tougher and better.

Great bunch of guys too. Knowing someone that has one of these and just takes it to and from HomeDepot is fine too. But if you really want to get an eyeful the Fall Jersey Devil Hunt is the place to go. Their thread over at SS (Rallies and off-road) has all the information you'd ever need.

Here's a short video of the Spring 2016 JDH (Jersey Devil Hunt), about 4 minutes:
By the way, the guy at the begininng in front of me and during a lot of the video with the Black rig... that is a 1-wheel drive model.
Not always about the rig and it's options. Skill at Piloting (you don't "ride" a sidecar rig) one of these is key.

·
Registered
20 Posts
^^^ That could be interesting to attend.

The video reminded me of Helges video.

Theres sidecar meets all over the country at various times, and some in Europe. Theres a US Sidecar Association meet besides the local ones, it was in Idaho this year, Im not sure if the location changes different years. Its all makes. Theres a list of events here.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/sidecar-events-links-only-please-no-replies.557873/page-8

Oh, and we cant forget Sit, Stay, Ride, the story of Americas sidecar dogs,

21 - 28 of 28 Posts