TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I had a '94 Ural Tourist, I loved it, but just couldn't afford to keep it going. the bike and sidecar were built like a Russian tank, the engine wasn't much. The timing gears broke, and main bearings went bad in under 5000 miles. That was the early import 650 engine, the new bikes have a 750cc motor that is quite a bit better than the old ones were. Still they are a hands on bike, if you are a tinkerer with pretty good mechanical knowledge you might get along fine with one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I owned one when I was working in Russia and Kazakstan, very rugged, motor has no power and is inclined to break.

I paid 500 USD for the one we had it was fixable for the most part with basic tools, underpowered and unique.

Im looking for a similar setup, but im going with a late 80s BMWR80 with twin disk brakes and a velocet side car.

I priced them here locally in Florida at a licensed Ural dealer and brand new out the door there in 14k range.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Howdy All,

I have owned and ridden Ural's for the last 6 years, I have worked "WITH" not for IMWA for the last 5.5 years as an unofficial test rider. In that time I have logged over 120,000 kilometers roughly 90,000 miles on Ural's, in that time at the request of IMWA I have beat the phuck out of them and have broken just about everything on the rig other then the actual frame of the bike itself, this was ABUSE not normal riding. The guy who posted the don't buy a Ural thread on ADV-rider, is flake and I have called him out as one in that thread, in my opinion 95% of the problems he has had were owner induced by not knowing how to ride or maintain the rig.

I have posted MANY ride reports on Ural's on the ADV-rider web site, you could spend days reading the stories and looking at the photos. I tell it like it is in my ride reports the good and the occasional bad, this is part of my deal with IMWA that I am HONEST in my ride reports. Don't judge the newer Ural's built since 2005 and especially since 2008 by how the older ones performed. The Ural is NOT fast, it was never built to be fast, yes the new ones will do 65-70 mph but they are MUCH happier at speeds between 50-60, go to my youtube channel to see MANY videos of these rigs in action. Click this link.

http://www.youtube.com/user/afraone/videos?sort=dd&view=u&page=1

If you have serious questions about the Ural, ask them and I will give you serious-honest answers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anyone own a Rural or have any experience with them?

Here is a link to the one I was thinking about.

http://www.imz-ural....imited-edition/

Howdy Woodward,

The rig your link goes to is this years "limited Edition", it is a regular two wheel drive machine with special paint and some cosmetic items that aren't on the regular two wheel drive Ural.

Something to keep in mind, ALL Ural's are built pretty much of the same parts, the only real differences being those that have one wheel drive and those that have two wheel drive, the EXCEPTION being the model called the "Retro.

The Retro shares the same drive train components as the other Ural's but it has a completely different frame, gas tank and fenders.

The one wheel drive rigs with the leading link front forks have the sidecar built lower to the ground then does the two wheel drive rig, the one wheel drive rigs handle a bit better at speed then does the two wheel drive rig, the Retro has the whole bike and sidecar built MUCH lower to the ground it is the BEST handling Ural for paved road use but becuase it is built so low it is very limited in off pavement conditions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts