TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is not my intent to make fun of anyone or suggest one is paranoid as I have done the same thing. When I first posted here and on the VW forum, I use to conceal my license plate so no one could see the number. Then I sort of realized that I drive with it exposed all day.

It originally struck me as the prudent thing to do, but?? I have heard of folks actually having their plate stolen, like in removed from their vehicle. As well, on of my co-workers had her current registration sticker peeled from her plate (stolen). She was very upset as it cost her well over $100 as she had to purchase a new one.

Anyone know of an incident where exposing your plate number on a forum and something really bad happened? Might this concern fall into the category of Urban Myth? Just curious, Gerry

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I've been taking a razor blade and making cuts at angles on my registration stickers for years. Makes it pretty hard to remove sticker in once piece.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The sticker trick is awesome, I Love it!

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've often wondered that myself. I am also guilty of erasing my license plate number whenever I post a picture on the Internet. And, it was seriously just the other day, I was looking at a CraigsList ad where the poster put a towel over their plate on the ad. I wondered to myself, does it really matter? And like you said, thousands of people see it every time you are on the road, so what does it really help? I can't wait to see people's answers on this.

Dan

P.S. Been doing the razor blade trick on the sticker since I purchased my first car.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I thought about this the first time I saw an online Craigslist pic of a vehicle with the license plate obscured. What does it matter if people can see your plate in a picture, when lots of people will see it as you drive, while it's parked at work, or even while it's parked at home in some cases. I've never fuzzied my plate for an online picture. I've never seen the point.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was going to post a tongue in cheek reply about the picture of the "28IF" plate on the VW in the Abbey Road album, but then I read the rules about picture posting and decided against it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Good question. I did a little internet search and found that the average person can't legally track you down through the DMV with your license plate. But there are websites where you might be able to find someone through their plate numbers for the low, low price of $25.

I plan to continue to cover up my plate in online photos to avoid stalkers.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good question. I did a little internet search and found that the average person can't legally track you down through the DMV with your license plate. But there are websites where you might be able to find someone through their plate numbers for the low, low price of $25.

I plan to continue to cover up my plate in online photos to avoid stalkers.

I would like to save you guys some money. Send me $15, that's a 40% saving. I will then tell you where I'm at
. I as well am going to do the razorblade trick. Gerry

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
If you take a picture of your plate while out on a ride, no one would think twice. But when the picture is taken in your garage full of tools, other bikes, a gun safe, car, etc., thats when covering your plate would come into play. Like Big E said, you really can't just walk into the DMV and ask for an address. But there are connections out there that would allow you to find out where someone lives.

I don't cover my plate, but I do razor blade my tabs. My Dad taught me that when I was a little kid and have been doing it ever since.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[quote name='Rainman' date='16 March 2012 - 04:25 PM' timestamp='1331940325' post='39728']

""If you take a picture of your plate while out on a ride, no one would think twice. But when the picture is taken in your garage full of tools, other bikes, a gun safe, car, etc., thats when covering your plate would come into play. Like Big E said, you really can't just walk into the DMV and ask for an address. But there are connections out there that would allow you to find out where someone lives.""

Boy, that is sure some good advice. Suspect there are folks that search Craigslist ads with the hope of comming across just such a set of circumstances. Gerry

·
Registered
42 Posts
I personally know of one bad thing that will happen when you take a picture of your exposed plates with the bike in your garage. The reflection from your camera flash will overexpose the photo, to the point that you can't even make the bike out. From now on, I put a rag over the plate, when taking a photo.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I personally know of one bad thing that will happen when you take a picture of your exposed plates with the bike in your garage. The reflection from your camera flash will overexpose the photo, to the point that you can't even make the bike out. From now on, I put a rag over the plate, when taking a photo.

Prehaps that is one of the 'big' reasons. I know the reflectors on my bike cause major picture taking problems. Thanks, Gerry

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
The only reason I can see for concealing your license plate is if you have posted pix of your bike in restricted areas, or doing something illegal. The authorities might use the pix as proof to fine you.

But then, if they wanted to go that far, they could track you down anyway. It's really hard to be anonymous on the net.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I cover mine when out in the wood's because the old guy that owns the place is in a wheelchair and has put up trail camera's to try and catch people in there. Them woods were owned by a family that never cared about anyone being in there then this guy bought it and now has shut it down for no reason other then the fact he owns it. I leave the place just like I found it other then some colorful photo's my buddies and I take with his camera's.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I don't conceal my license plate in pics... But I don't post pics that would get me in trouble.

I HAVE considered putting a hinge on me plate with the provisions to flap it up quickly for various reasons.

But I have never heard of razor blading your license plate tags/tabs. Do people really steal them? I've never ever heard of that until reading this thread. Weird...

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I don't conceal my license plate in pics... But I don't post pics that would get me in trouble.

I HAVE considered putting a hinge on me plate with the provisions to flap it up quickly for various reasons.

But I have never heard of razor blading your license plate tags/tabs. Do people really steal them? I've never ever heard of that until reading this thread. Weird...

My Dad has told me that he has had his tabs stolen...thats probably why he taught me. Think about it though. Its a sticker on a piece of aluminum. It can be peeled off easily. Razor blading your tabs is pretty cheap insurance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts