TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow TWers,

For those who live up north where it snows in the winter you will understand. The summer months are arriving soon and getting my bike ready for the summer, as a project I want to add a USB changer mount so I can mount my cell phone on my handle bars and charge it as well. Anyone have good reliable set ups? pictures are always great! See the link below on what I have found so far on e-bay.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/CHIC-Motorcycle-Bike-Handlebar-X-Grip-3-5-6-Cell-Phone-Mount-Holder-USB-Charger/232450903953?hash=item361f274f91:g:J6YAAOSweC1ZlB6a&vxp=mtr

also anyone know a good map apps I can download for GPS, Right now I have the Google maps Apps, works great, but is there any thing better...?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Check out Avenza maps. It is a free app. Some maps are free, some you need to buy. The app has a tracking feature and I found it worked well in Quartzsite using the area's off road map. Accuracy on my inexpensive android phone was amazing.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I use the Ram Mount "X-Grip" on all by bikes. Move it to other vehicles when needed. I'm not familiar with this Chinese Copy but it does have the power included. For liability purposes Ram Mount does not do that.

If you go to "Sellers Other Items for sale" in the upper right hand corner on eBay this seems to be just a distributor for a bunch of Chinese junk that mostly doesn't have anything to do with motorcycles or anything automotive like fake beards, costume crowns, penis extenders, etc.
Pretty funny stuff.

I use SW-Motech on 2 of my bikes for accessory power. You can find their products on Twisted Throttle.
The TW has accessory power via Battery Tender's receptacle. When I'm not riding the bike the same pigtail is for the actual tender.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I opted for a dual usb with a weather proof cover:
https://www.amazon.com/Cliff-Top-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Power-Charger/dp/B075JDDNRJ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1519575179&sr=8-2&keywords=USB+dual+handlebar+clifftop

A usb dust plug (since I usually only use one usb plug) and headphone jack plug for my phone:
https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Universal-Laptop-Silicone-Plugs/dp/B00B7O7GF0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1519575507&sr=8-6&keywords=usb+dust+plug

Decided to get short iPhone charging cables:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078H67RXV/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B078H67RXV&pd_rd_wg=SM2oD&pd_rd_r=EKPQ5HJ71JAGDETW5M2V&pd_rd_w=SF8LG

I use a Ram mount X-grip (the large one) to hold my iPhone 6S Plus. Not the cheapest route but reall happy wiith the setup. I do plan to permanently connect the USB battery pig tail to the USB dual plug lead and then install an in-line switch so I can easily turn the usb power on and off without having to unplug these two leads. I do not want to forget to do that and have the usb slowly drain my battery when it sits in the garage.

One other thing, the usb pig tail comes with a 3.5 amp in-line fuse to protect low-draw electronics like a phone. The compact air pump I carry with me in the field will blow this fuse so I carry spare 3.5 amp and a couple of high capacity fuses to handle the air pump draw.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Hello fellow TWers,

For those who live up north where it snows in the winter you will understand. The summer months are arriving soon and getting my bike ready for the summer, as a project I want to add a USB changer mount so I can mount my cell phone on my handle bars and charge it as well. Anyone have good reliable set ups? pictures are always great! See the link below on what I have found so far on e-bay.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/CHIC-Motorcycle-Bike-Handlebar-X-Grip-3-5-6-Cell-Phone-Mount-Holder-USB-Charger/232450903953?hash=item361f274f91:g:J6YAAOSweC1ZlB6a&vxp=mtr

also anyone know a good map apps I can download for GPS, Right now I have the Google maps Apps, works great, but is there any thing better...?
I didn’t realize the GD Chinese had stolen another patent from the United States of American. I try my best not to buy stolen knockoffs. I hope our new administration stops this unfair practice.
Just saying

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I didn’t realize the GD Chinese had stolen another patent from the United States of American. I try my best not to buy stolen knockoffs. I hope our new administration stops this unfair practice.
Just saying
You mean the penis extender?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have a USB port mounted on my handle bars to power the GPS (no cell phone coverage where we ride so just need to keep GPS alive), it runs off the key so as long as I am riding it is charging. Got it a few years ago but I did find a listing for a gold one....mine was blue to match my bike. It has a clock on the lid with a water tight seal when closed. Clock was too remind me when it was time to go home...battery died first year so now I just ride till I get tired.
Here is a link to the gold one : https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Gold-Metal-12V-Car-Motorcycle-USB-Charger-Adapter-Socket-Power-Outlet-Clock/302090673727?hash=item465601de3f:g:su0AAOSwIgNXq9rW.
I have a pic of it mounted,
IMG_2277.JPG

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use the Ram Mount "X-Grip" on all by bikes. Move it to other vehicles when needed. I'm not familiar with this Chinese Copy but it does have the power included. For liability purposes Ram Mount does not do that.

If you go to "Sellers Other Items for sale" in the upper right hand corner on eBay this seems to be just a distributor for a bunch of Chinese junk that mostly doesn't have anything to do with motorcycles or anything automotive like fake beards, costume crowns, penis extenders, etc.
Pretty funny stuff.

I use SW-Motech on 2 of my bikes for accessory power. You can find their products on Twisted Throttle.
The TW has accessory power via Battery Tender's receptacle. When I'm not riding the bike the same pigtail is for the actual tender.
Where is the accessory power for the battery tender receptacle on the TW?

·
Super Moderator
17,998 Posts
You use one of these and hook it up to the battery, plug in the USB charger when on the road, disconnect and hook up to a battery tender when the bike is in storage or in between rides.

Where is the accessory power for the battery tender receptacle on the TW?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
(no cell phone coverage where we ride so just need to keep GPS alive) View attachment 160921
With the Avenza Map app on your phone you do not need cell phone coverage. The app uses the Cell Phones GPS. I do not have a data plan and the app works great and there are many maps for it.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I bought this Battery Tender fused battery charging plug. It’s the perfect length to tie wrap to the frame next to where the battery over flow hose runs.

64FD270A-07ED-44A7-B98C-DDABA7798E70.png

You can get a four pack on Amazon for $16

·
Registered
114 Posts
I tapped into the horn circuit for my usb as it is always hot with the key on. The horn button supplies ground to activate the horn, so there is an always hot lead right there. If it didn't turn off with the key, I'd always have a dead battery because I would never remember to unplug or switch off separately.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts