TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thank goodness all the plugs of our consumer goods are are standardized. Well, almost...Got this all memorized yet? I don't :eek:
usb_connectors_20_30.jpg

USB-types-2x-1024x334.png
I can't recognize them all at a glance and almost all my devices are different. A guide like this helps me which each device requires.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Fred, you are such a troublemaker!

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Thanks Fred. This is all a bunch of "Propitiatory BS". Apple is most famous for this crap and every new I phone model takes different charger connector styles. I have a drawer filled with these various plugs. My other passion used to be in high end stereo equipment but I gave that up a while back for this very reason. If you are like me and lots of others here you probably have a TV, DVD player, Surround sound system, CD player and you might have a Turn Table or tape machine. Every one of these devices has different connections and it has become nearly impossible to get them all to play together. In my vehicles I have to have 3 or 4 different charging cables for the various gadgets I use in them.

GaryL

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thanks Fred. I saved both pics so now when someone asks (usually my adult children) if I have an extra plug we can cut to the chase of what connector they actually need and not play the trial and error game.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This isn't proprietary BS. It's an evolution of open standards. Anyone can use the USB standard that fits them the best. And yes, as technology has gotten faster, it requires more data/power. Thus requiring a more robust plug.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks Fred. I saved both pics so now when someone asks (usually my adult children) if I have an extra plug we can cut to the chase of what connector they actually need and not play the trial and error game.
Trial and error? Just look at the hole. They're all unique.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
This isn't proprietary BS. It's an evolution of open standards. Anyone can use the USB standard that fits them the best. And yes, as technology has gotten faster, it requires more data/power. Thus requiring a more robust plug.
I won't argue that some of these styles are necessary however from my own personal experience where USB charging cables and connectors are concerned there are just two wires in these connectors that send electricity, one is positive and the other is negative. It does get more complicated where other signals are concerned but not with just the charging cables. HDMI, Ethernet and all sorts of other cables are different because they transfer numerous signals through the connectors but for USB charging only a black and red are needed.

GaryL

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As Talon points out a lot of evolving open source protocols are for ever increasing data transfer rates.
Now that we have that all memorized should we address how best to send data to or from storage? :eek:
Speed counts when videoing or burst photography, too slow of flash memory should be avoided. Simply remember all the color codes and iconography ( I usually need a magnifying glass ).:rolleyes: class-table._CB194381758_.gif
SD-05.png
speed-class-rating-chpt-10.jpg

I know I am a trouble maker but if you are having performance issues with some devices maybe making sure the basics are properly addressed. A lot of instructions for new devices are lacking, or assume an unreasonable level of IT sophistication.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
all i know is all these different ends are one big pain in the arse. even with the cords labeled, finding the right one in a draw is not to my liking

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, with these guides or a little research one can know what one needs, thus know exactly what one should buy rather than trusting sales personnel to look up one's specific application. Avoids the risk of a mistake or a delay caused by others.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ultimately there's 3 you're going to see with any regularity.

-Apple Lightning. Their proprietary format. Only found on Apple products or accessories designed for Apple phones.
-USB Type C. This is the oval shaped, reversible plug that is now the standard for pretty much all non-Apple phones. Supports USB 3.0 data speeds. It's starting to appear on accessories and other electronics but still relatively uncommon.
-USB Micro-B. This was formerly the standard for non-Apple smartphones, although it's largely been replaced by type C. Some low end phones might still have it. However, still quite common to find on all sorts of small/mobile electronics for charging.

The Mini-B type plug is virtually dead, although I still encounter it now and then, usually on cheaper Chinese stuff.

·
Registered
19,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gee, my phone, video camera, still camera, & gps seem to have the full spectrum of interface ports so I end up with a collection of different patch cords ...micros, minis, A , B . Some of course have multiple ports with options for mini or full size SD cards .
Come to think of it this laptop has 4 incorrect ports to plug stuff into in addition to the one correct port I need each specific task.;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts