TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
42708188_2086599044984386_988946581027815424_n.jpg

So I found a parts bike with a kickstarter cheaper than the kit, aiming to pick it up this weekend. Looks like YZ80/85 forks though. I know the conventional ones have been discussed here but I'm curious if there would be any benefits to these inverted ones. Not sure how much travel they have or if the spring rates are enough, etc. I'm guessing it'd be limited in wheels and tires without lacing up something else to the hub, and without custom triples it's probably too narrow for a TW front tire.

What say you folks? Let's hope the engine and/or kicker shaft and such are at least worth it.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Interesting find! As you pointed out, the only easy way to utilize these forks would be to swap the whole front end. This would give you a skinny front tire, but also a better (?) front disc brake. Could be a fair tradeoff.

The rear wheel, swingarm and the engine parts (head, cylinder, output shaft, etc.) are always worth some money. Sounds like you made a good deal.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at the spring rates available for a later model YZ80, I think the stiffest available would be .33kg/mm which isn't very promising. I sort of expected as much, given what it's coming from. Just guessing but it looks like the 17" rim on it now, but yes, 19" wheels were also available. With around 10" of travel it might be nice in the woods at a mellow pace but probably a lot of pogo action at higher speeds or on the street.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once I finally got some time to have a look, I measure the front tire, saw that it was actually a 21", and knew that AllBalls don't have a bearing for a bike like that to convert onto a TW200. Inspected the steering tube, saw upper bearings were too big to fit. Got a part number off a fork and find they're 43mm WP forks from a 2000-2002 KTM EXC 200. I'm very temped to have a bushing of some sort worked out so that I can use a conversion bearing of a common size, as the KTM bearing sizes are a little odd. It will be some time before I can get around to fooling with it, the way things are looking.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
They would definitely be an upgrade vs stock. Good luck with the conversion. Would really like to hear your thoughts when you get it sorted.

·
Registered
19,405 Posts
Better forks will make the TW much safer and confidence inspiring at speed off-road. The stock TW suspension seems the wall one runs into when pushing the TW hard before noticing the inadequacies in engine or brakes. The way Gerry built my Mr.Gizmo bike with Tri-Z forks allows it to sail through ruts and loft front over water bars with confidence. On the stock TW these situations require panic braking or result in fear of crashing if don't slow down in time.
What a difference a few extra inches makes.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
That's what she said!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'll hopefully get ahold of some Tri-Z forks soon, but I'm also looking at some inverted forks from a KX500. The KX or KTM routes would limit me to a 21" front unless I relace a hub, any route will require a taller rear so I'd need to collect the relevant parts there as well. I may decide I don't want to try any of it and instead get springs and emulators for the stock forks. It's a little overwhelming thinking about the nickel-and-dime stuff that it would take to swap front ends, but I am awfully curious. Boring the triples out for Tri-Z forks would probably be a bit cheaper but it seems like I would need a digital speedometer either way.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
That's what she said!

I've said that myself. Hehe. But seriously I've bent my levers too many times and that extra clearance could save a lot of bent levers.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Anything can be made to work with enough time and money thrown at it. At some point it's asking more of a TW than it was designed for. For me I would not do more than springs ,emulator and at most an aftermarket shock. If I want more than that I need a different bike. That said it's fun to tweak the TW. But I'd rather ride it within its limits and get my new KTM when I can afford it. The trick is to ride with other guys on TWs so you aren't left in the dust on a long whoop section

1 - 13 of 13 Posts