TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, new guy here. Looking into getting a tw200, a dealership not too far away has a 2019 model, about 4,000 miles, slight dent in the tank and a bent shifter. Besides the obvious defects, what should I be looking for regarding red flags or things I'll have to dump money into?

This will be my first bike, my wife and I were in Silverton, Colorado and saw dirt bikes on the alpine loop and the wheels started turning. One of our favorite activities is hitting the back roads and exploring what's around the next corner. I think doing this on a mule like the tw200 would be just about perfect. Looking forward to the journey.

·
Registered
1999 TW-200
84 Posts
Welcome, you are going to ride 2-up? or are you thinking 2 TW's?

I recommend the IMS - 313114 - Folding Shift Lever`($38-ish), longer and way better than the OEM lever.

Any Farkle's on the 2019 and what's the price?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
The bike should start easily, not having to crank for more than a couple revolutions before it starts. It should warm up and be able to ride within a minute or two if it's been stored in an area above 60 degrees, like a shop or showroom. Once warmed up, the throttle should easily rev up the motor with a very, very slow throttle avancement. From idle, move the throttle slowly to 1/16th revolution, then 1/8th and so on. There should be no hesitation, stutter, lag or bog all the way up to full RPM. A test ride with slow roll throttle should also have no bog or hesitation.
Check for chain wear by pulling on the links at the 3 o'clock position on the rear sprocket. You should not see daylight between the sprocket teeth and chain links. Check oil for both level in the sight glass and cleanness. Check brakes for function as well as the clutch. Both should provide smooth operation without any noises or hiccups. Have the side cover removed and inspect the air filter for service. It should be very clean and slightly oily to the touch. But not over oiled. Check all the controls and features like turn signals, brake and running lights, horn, etc.
This is a start. I'll add more later or I imagine that others will soon.
Welcome to the forum and the TW200 brotherhood.
Cheers!
Jerry

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome, you are going to ride 2-up? or are you thinking 2 TW's?

I recommend the IMS - 313114 - Folding Shift Lever`($38-ish), longer and way better than the OEM lever.

Any Farkle's on the 2019 and what's the price?
We'll be getting two TW's. I live in Oklahoma so we're shooting to be comfortable on bikes to do some mountain riding by the summer of 2023 at the latest.

Excuse my newb'ness but, what's a farkle?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
We'll be getting two TW's. I live in Oklahoma so we're shooting to be comfortable on bikes to do some mountain riding by the summer of 2023 at the latest.

Excuse my newb'ness but, what's a farkle?
As a motorcycle accessory, a farkle is named after the combination of “function” and “sparkle.” It has also been interpreted as a backronym of Fancy Accessory, Really Kool, Likely Expensive.

·
Registered
1999 TW-200
84 Posts
Ha, yes, and it's never 'a' Farkle, they run in packs....seat upgrade, aftermarket mirrors, wider foot pegs, handle bar risers, LED headlights, skid plate.....the list goes on and on.

I am glad you are not thinking 2-up off pavement...that can create 'issues'.

·
Registered
22,381 Posts
Aaron, none of the issues as mentioned by SkiPro in post #3 should be considered deal killers as they can all be readily addressed with a little effort and expenditure. However any of these issues can and should be used for negotiating purposes to lower the price.
Deal killers in my opinion?
If bike will not start at all.
If wheels or front forks are noticeably bent
If frame is bent or fractured
Any of these may be fixed but the associated repair costs should be reflected in asking price.
Ideally you would want a pair of turn-key ridable bikes for stress free first time adventures. I think the TWs are good choices for new riders such as yourself.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Price would be the biggest issue from what I'm seeing lately. At upper 4k to 5k new how much is a used bike worth?? Especially if your worried about repairing problems.

Buying a used 10-20 year old bike for 3-4k is pretty stupid, IMHO.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Aaron, none of the issues as mentioned by SkiPro in post #3 should be considered deal killers as they can all be readily addressed with a little effort and expenditure. However any of these issues can and should be used for negotiating purposes to lower the price.
Deal killers in my opinion?
If bike will not start at all.
If wheels or front forks are noticeably bent
If frame is bent or fractured
Any of these may be fixed but the associated repair costs should be reflected in asking price.
Ideally you would want a pair of turn-key ridable bikes for stress free first time adventures. I think the TWs are good choices for new riders such as yourself.
I agree. I didn't mention those items because Aaron asked for other than the obvious defects, so mentioned the less obvious.
Something to consider though, about the bike not starting at all, is the battery. On this bike you are considering, a 2019, it's likely the battery is in good condition, but ask to have the electrolyte level checked. It is what is known as a 'lead-acid' or 'wet-cell' battery. There's a little clear hose that runs from the battery to under the motorcycle. If the bike falls over, the battery acid can leak out, depleting the battery of its life fluids. If not replaced, the battery capacity will be diminished. On older bikes, these batteries usually don't live past 5 years or so without some regular servicing. Even then, they are considered a 'consumable' and are regularly replaced every few years. Considering the bike doesn't come with a kick starter, this is important to keep running at its best in order to assure you can start the bike if you do venture off road.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ha, yes, and it's never 'a' Farkle, they run in packs....seat upgrade, aftermarket mirrors, wider foot pegs, handle bar risers, LED headlights, skid plate.....the list goes on and on.

I am glad you are not thinking 2-up off pavement...that can create 'issues'.
I could see it happening pretty easy. I've been researching bikes for about a month now and I'm already dreaming of a larger gas tank, good rack, lights, etc. We like to backpack and are really wanting to do some bike-packing.

·
Super Moderator
20,699 Posts
Hello everyone, new guy here. Looking into getting a tw200, a dealership not too far away has a 2019 model, about 4,000 miles, slight dent in the tank and a bent shifter. Besides the obvious defects, what should I be looking for regarding red flags or things I'll have to dump money into?

This will be my first bike, my wife and I were in Silverton, Colorado and saw dirt bikes on the alpine loop and the wheels started turning. One of our favorite activities is hitting the back roads and exploring what's around the next corner. I think doing this on a mule like the tw200 would be just about perfect. Looking forward to the journey.
Welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree. I didn't mention those items because Aaron asked for other than the obvious defects, so mentioned the less obvious.
Something to consider though, about the bike not starting at all, is the battery. On this bike you are considering, a 2019, it's likely the battery is in good condition, but ask to have the electrolyte level checked. It is what is known as a 'lead-acid' or 'wet-cell' battery. There's a little clear hose that runs from the battery to under the motorcycle. If the bike falls over, the battery acid can leak out, depleting the battery of its life fluids. If not replaced, the battery capacity will be diminished. On older bikes, these batteries usually don't live past 5 years or so without some regular servicing. Even then, they are considered a 'consumable' and are regularly replaced every few years. Considering the bike doesn't come with a kick starter, this is important to keep running at its best in order to assure you can start the bike if you do venture off road.

Battery upgrade will be considered as well as adding a kickstart. We like to get off in some pretty remote areas so anything I can add to make it as fail proof as possible will be considered.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Price would be the biggest issue from what I'm seeing lately. At upper 4k to 5k new how much is a used bike worth?? Especially if your worried about repairing problems.

Buying a used 10-20 year old bike for 3-4k is pretty stupid, IMHO.
That's kind of where I'm leaning. I'd like to save a few bucks but I also like to know the history of things. I see how some people treat their vehicles and what they consider a regular maintenance schedule and it makes me scratch my head...

·
Registered
22,381 Posts
Be aware that Owners Manual of a new TW suggests an extended break-in period at ridiculously low power levels that would prevent any trip to Silverton.
Shucks, I had to break those rules on my new TW just to get up my driveway. But no worries on my part.
However many disregard the conservative recommendations and point out that the cross hatching on any new cylinder is there for a reason and needs an initial period of high revs to hone the piston rings to cylinder walls for optimum compression and engine life. That honing only lasts so long and slippery synthetic oil can also diminish the effectiveness of the self-hone.
Don't just take my word for it, do a little research from engine rebuilders or of the actual science involved ( i.e. other than from corporate where their possible warrantee & liability concerns may be more important to them than optimum engine performance).

Reactions: AaronSB

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tuttle area. Are you a fellow Okie?
Born in Tulsa, but moved to Houston years ago…
We’ve been doing the Jeep trails out of Silverton / Ouray / Telluride since 1975. Silveron is around 9,000 feet and some of the passes are 12,000 ft plus. You will have a much different carb set up for high altitude. If you are just doing the nice wide dirt road north out of Silverton to Animas Forks, stock gearing could work. Any of the 4 wheel drive, high clearance trails would probably need more agressive gearing as well. Enjoy!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Red flags? Basically just common sense stuff. If it starts up, doesn't knock, doesn't smoke, and doesn't leak, it's probably a solid bike. Don't worry about mileage south of 30,000. Only remaining factor is price. If you're willing to pay what it takes to buy it, pull the trigger.

TWs are just stupid, goofy fun. They're super reliable with minimal maintenance and cheap to operate. If you want one (or two), you should just buy one (or two).

1 - 20 of 58 Posts