TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I'm scheduled to take 5-6 day ride in late June on what is called the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route (UTBDR).

http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/UTBDR

Anyone here ride with guys on larger bikes? How did it go? What kind of terrain? Any input on this decision would be appreciated.

If your TW is well broken in with stock gearing, you won't have any trouble unless your buddy is a very experienced and fast rider. You should be able to do 60-65 easy on asphalt and as fast as you dare in the dirt, unless it's very rough, in which case a bike with longer suspension can soak it up at a higher speed. In fact, the TW will beat out a much heavier bike in some kinds of rocky terrain because it's so light and maneuverable. The real issue is the small tank and range....you will have to carry at least a gallon of extra fuel or subject him to frequent fuel stops, which may not be on the trail.

Sounds like a great trip!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Heck yes, do it!! The tw will be fine. You wont be running 75mph on the pavement but that shouldnt be a problem. On the dirt you might find yourself riding faster than the big heavy bike. As long as you have plenty of fuel you'll be good to go. Have fun

·
Registered
50 Posts
We just did this as a 4x4 group and had a lot of fun doing it. I will definitely do it again. Very beautiful and saw territory I had never seen before even after 30 years of wheeling in Utah. Good Luck and have fun.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
The kenda is hard to beat for the price. Im running a sr244 in the 5.10 and really like it. Well except in the sand. The big fat tire floats around on top of the sand. My buddy had a 96 with a stock front tire and it felt much better in the deeper sand but neither of us had any trouble going anywhere. I think you would be fine with either tire.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Thanks for the input.

Couple of questions:

What constitutes "well broken in?"

Approximately 1,200 miles with 3 or 4 oil changes and filter cleanings. It will continue to improve until 5,000 to 6,000, but you can't hurt it after 1,200 unless you get it REALLY HOT, which is also true for the life of the engine (extended slow speed operation in really hot temps when hill climbing, like more than 5 minutes without a break at a higher gear or a stop).

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Please continue your RR when you have time.

Your trip is on my short list.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Awesome ride and report!!! Too bad about losing your phone and pictures. I'm glad for the ones you were able to post, though. I imagine that was quite a sight to be out in the middle of nowhere and be surrounded by Indians on horseback. I rode the Lockhart Basin trail this summer, and can only recommend it if you like a technical challenge. Similar views are more easily had throughout that country. I was aware of the UTBDR before your ride, but after reading this it is on my list of rides to do. Thanks for taking the time to post your report, it was very enjoyable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts