TW200 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018-04-03 14.58.16.jpg

Picked up a lightly used 2015 TW200 (550 miles) recently and have begun making it my own. I am a moderately experienced rider with experience on XR’s back in the day and KTM EXC bikes more recently. After some hip surgery the KTM’s were just too much stress on the hip so I left bikes and went to SXS’s. After a few years without, I wanted a bike again and decided to go low and slow since I love to explore the west. I plan on a few different mods over time but I needed to start with the suspension.

I’m a big guy at 250+ 5’10” tall but only have a 30” inseam. I ordered the .70kg front springs and 19kg rear spring from pro cycle. The fork had a lot more oil on one side than the other when I disassembled them. I filled them with 10wt to the 130mm level and I’m very happy with the feel. The rear used to sag several inches and now it’s only about 1”. The bike feels totally different in a great way and while noticeably firmer, it soaks up the bumps much better than stock. I’ll post other mods as I do them in this thread. I need to replace the battery and add hand-guards. Some jetting and exhaust may be happening soon as well.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
View attachment 167161

Picked up a lightly used 2015 TW200 (550 miles) recently and have begun making it my own. I am a moderately experienced rider with experience on XR’s back in the day and KTM EXC bikes more recently. After some hip surgery the KTM’s were just too much stress on the hip so I left bikes and went to SXS’s. After a few years without, I wanted a bike again and decided to go low and slow since I love to explore the west. I plan on a few different mods over time but I needed to start with the suspension.

I’m a big guy at 250+ 5’10” tall but only have a 30” inseam. I ordered the .70kg front springs and 19kg rear spring from pro cycle. The fork had a lot more oil on one side than the other when I disassembled them. I filled them with 10wt to the 130mm level and I’m very happy with the feel. The rear used to sag several inches and now it’s only about 1”. The bike feels totally different in a great way and while noticeably firmer, it soaks up the bumps much better than stock. I’ll post other mods as I do them in this thread. I need to replace the battery and add hand-guards. Some jetting and exhaust may be happening soon as well.
Welcome to the forum.

After messing around with different homemade spacers (front & rear) to stiffen up the suspension, I finally got the same springs you did for my TW last year. What a good difference it has made for me. Makes riding the whoops (which I hate) much better and less bouncy. Really nice on washboard roads compared to the stock springs. Last week while riding the Devil's Racetrack at San Rafael Swell, my rear only bottomed out once and this was the first time since I installed the springs last year.

If it's too stiff for you I think the 2015's still have a rear shock which the clip spring could be lowered to make it a little softer. I've not done it so can't say for sure and going off advise which was given when I moved my spring clip on the rear shock to the top position which did stiffen it (preload).

Oh, and I'm a tad north of you on the weight and height scale.

Once again, welcome and have fun riding your less powerful mode of fun!:p

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just did 400 miles on my 2015 with my son. The 2 of us plus gear weighed 320lbs. No problems at all.

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the stiffer rear spring from pro cycle but can’t figure out how to compress it to switch it out. No place has the press here where I live in Nicaragua. I know that will make a big difference as others have mentioned.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can't even imagine going 400 miles on a TW in a day... At one time, yes, now, no way... I'm way over the hill!!

I can make it about an hour... :p
We stop every 50 miles, get gas even though we don’t have to, drink water and rest 10 min. View attachment 167297

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I have the stiffer rear spring from pro cycle but can’t figure out how to compress it to switch it out. No place has the press here where I live in Nicaragua. I know that will make a big difference as others have mentioned.
Try to find two ratchet tie down straps that don't have the hooks on them to compress the springs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Try to find two ratchet tie down straps that don't have the hooks on them to compress the springs.
That’s a good idea. Does anyone know how far it has to compress to get the retainer off?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
That’s a good idea. Does anyone know how far it has to compress to get the retainer off?
Here are a couple different photos I took from a couple different years. I hope they give you the general idea of the ratchet strap spring compression method. You do have to be careful and might have to adjust the straps a little if the shock wants to flip to one side or the other as you tighten it. You don't have to worry about the spring flying off, just the shock tipping over quickly.
I also used a jack for the compression once I got the straps as tight as I could. I'm weak and couldn't compress the springs with just the straps.
(Also, the yellow spring is the stock spring and red was the stiffest procycle spring).

You just have to have the spring compressed far enough so you can slide in or out the steel plate you see just above the spring. It was a little harder compressing the red spring but worked just fine.

Another view with the old spring compression as I was either putting in or taking out a homemade spacer to pre-load the spring.

Here's a picture of the spring clip. My 2015 TW has this shock but I've heard the newer shocks are different but I don't know the year they changed.
Middle spring clip groove is the stock setting. Placing the clip in the higher groove will pre-load the shock (stiffen) and putting in the lowest grove will make it softer. Bouncier I think but I haven't used it in this groove.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That helps a lot. I can do it that way. Mine is a 2015 too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today I made a few more modifications. The factory battery was shot so I replaced it with a WPS lithium ion battery. I wanted the handlebars up a little higher so I replaced the stock one with a Pro Taper ATV Hi bar. I also threw on some Pro Taper cushion grips and some Tusk handguards. Lastly I needed a place for a small bag and a Rotopax fuel pack, so I added a Wasatch Recreation Products rack.

2018-04-06 23.15.16.jpg
2018-04-06 23.15.03.jpg
2018-04-06 23.16.24.jpg
2018-04-06 23.16.18.jpg
2018-04-06 23.15.37.jpg
2018-04-06 23.15.20.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts